Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 10:02 AM

659 posts, read 313,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Scanning all the comments in this thread and about the only clear fact is that most people believe what they do for reasons that are not easy to fully understand. That the NRA does not sell guns, for example, might be true from a strict literal standpoint. No, there is no NRA gun store where someone can actually buy a gun from the NRA, but it seems all too many don't understand what role the NRA actually does play when it comes to the sale of guns, far more significant, consequential and far-reaching than any one gun seller could even imagine on their own. Beyond what most people realize, that seems obvious. I was thinking of providing some of the information about this that everyone should surely know, when this wikipedia link finally showed up -- containing the real facts of the matter -- perhaps time better spent reading the information in this link over time spent pretending we know what we really don't.

Not that people can't be excused for not knowing what a PAC does, but I suspect all too many people, especially those inclined to describe gun-control measures as "anti-2nd Amendment gun control measures," are not really wanting to know what the NRA truly is or does, or so their comments seem to suggest.

My compliments to AngryTaxPayer for bringing some light to help us get through this fog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 10:10 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,419,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
Scanning all the comments in this thread and about the only clear fact is that most people believe what they do for reasons that are not easy to fully understand. That the NRA does not sell guns, for example, might be true from a strict literal standpoint. No, there is no NRA gun store where someone can actually buy a gun from the NRA, but it seems all too many don't understand what role the NRA actually does play when it comes to the sale of guns, far more significant, consequential and far-reaching than any one gun seller could even imagine on their own. Beyond what most people realize, that seems obvious. I was thinking of providing some of the information about this that everyone should surely know, when this wikipedia link finally showed up -- containing the real facts of the matter -- perhaps time better spent reading the information in this link over time spent pretending we know what we really don't.

Not that people can't be excused for not knowing what a PAC does, but I suspect all too many people, especially those inclined to describe gun-control measures as "anti-2nd Amendment gun control measures," are not really wanting to know what the NRA truly is or does, or so their comments seem to suggest.

My compliments to AngryTaxPayer for bringing some light to help us get through this fog.
The NRA is not an industry organization like say the California Milk Processor Board of "Got Milk" fame as you seem to be implying. They do not advertise for the overall agency. They exist and act to protect and promote the shooting sport and as a safety organization.

The NSSF however IS an industry agency.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:24 AM

78,545 posts, read 60,737,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Awesome idea that would go over like a lead balloon around here. Conservatives don't even like food stamps, which mostly go to children and the elderly, and they abhor affirmative action. Outside of Chris Christie, no GOP candidate is calling for lightening our drug sentences.

You really think it's Democrats ignoring the issue of inner-city violence? Or the party that values tax cuts for the wealthy above all else?
You have a number of "sanctuary cities" that look the other way with illegal immigrants yet they won't ease off on the drug stuff and somehow that's the GOP's fault? Freddie Grey is probably somehow the republicans fault too? Tamir Rice? Sorry but those are democrat controlled bastions and they make policy there.

Then you try again to pass the buck onto the republicans (with some vague cliché about tax cuts for the rich) about how major urban centers conduct their business in democratically controlled bastions?

I guess the Chicago PD's tortures, cover-ups etc. are all the fault of Republican tax cuts for the rich too?

WTH man?

Old 01-07-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
The NRA is not an industry organization like say the California Milk Processor Board of "Got Milk" fame as you seem to be implying. They do not advertise for the overall agency. They exist and act to protect and promote the shooting sport and as a safety organization.

The NSSF however IS an industry agency.
I won't argue whether the NRA is necessarily just like any other industry representative organization. In fact, I would argue the NRA is rather unique in more than a few important/strategic respects, but boy..., to sum up the reason the NRA exists so narrowly and selectively as you do is much like suggesting the WSPA soley exists to educate the public about energy.

That is the same sort of comment that prompted my earlier one. What of the rest of the story? The full scope, activity and influence of these associations?

Did you read all the information in that link?

Your response surely suggests you did not. I touched on why you are not alone in that regard as well.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:44 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,419,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
I won't argue whether the NRA is necessarily just like any other industry representative organization. In fact, I would argue the NRA is rather unique in more than a few important/strategic respects, but boy..., to sum up the reason the NRA exists so narrowly and selectively as you do is much like suggesting the WSPA soley exists to educate the public about energy.

That is the same sort of comment that prompted my earlier one. What of the rest of the story? The full scope, activity and influence of these associations?

Did you read all the information in that link?

Your response surely suggests you did not. I touched on why you are not alone in that regard as well.
Could you tell me which aspect I missed?

They lobby. Covered.

They educate. Covered.

They litigate. Covered.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Could you tell me which aspect I missed?

They lobby. Covered.

They educate. Covered.

They litigate. Covered.
You wrote what I "seem to be implying." Not quite right, so I tried to make myself more clear.

Perhaps you didn't miss anything, and perhaps we agree that the NRA is quite powerful in terms of what it does to lobby, educate and litigate and maybe we can even agree those efforts are very directly tied toward gun sales and that gun sales help finance the NRA (not just membership fees). Maybe most importantly, we can agree that too much money is being used to buy our elected representatives votes (from both sides) rather than as might be cast if our elected representatives were not so dependent on those contributions.

If we agree about that, we can probably also agree what gun-control legislation actually passes or does not pass into law is a bit too much about the influence of special interest groups and their money vs what the majority of the public may prefer.

Fair?

Old 01-07-2016, 12:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
People have too many rights when it comes to buying guns. You can get as mad as you want to, but that's what I believe. Let's see if you are capable of responding without anger or sarcasm or putdowns?
Do you know why posts like this are responded with anger, sarcasm and putdowns? It's because they have been addressed 60,000 times.

No one will try and deny you the right to think this.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:52 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,117,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do you know why posts like this are responded with anger, sarcasm and putdowns? It's because they have been addressed 60,000 times.

No one will try and deny you the right to think this.
Okie dokie. It's amazing to me how so many people on here get so upset when someone disagrees with them.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Okie dokie. It's amazing to me how so many people on here get so upset when someone disagrees with them.
Disagreeing with them and arguing to take away their rights crosses different lines.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:16 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,909,816 times
Quote:
People have too many rights when it comes to buying guns. You can get as mad as you want to, but that's what I believe. Let's see if you are capable of responding without anger or sarcasm or putdowns?
Ok, I won't respond with the anger, sarcasm, or putdowns that I believe the bolded above does in fact warrant, but I won't engage in serious dialogue with you either until you can provide me with a working definition of what you think an "assault weapon" is.

If you say something should be banned, I don't think it's too much to ask that you actually know what it is and what factors distinguish it from other firearms. But I doubt you'll give me any response, so for those who might be watching this discussion without actually participating, here are some graphics for their benefit....

Under an "assault weapons ban", guns that are functionally identical, that hold the same round and capacity, would still be available for purchase.

So how big of a problem are "assault weapons" actually? How many deaths occur every year using these exceptionally deadly weapons? Must be a lot, right?

There goes the argument for any kind of ban......
Attached Thumbnails
What is the agenda of the NRA?-assault-weapons-ban.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies