Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 07:53 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
why do you and others care so much what other people own? they went out and EARNED their wealth. if you want to be wealthy, then you go out and EARN it yourself. if others want to be wealthy they can go out and EARN the money. do yourself a favor and stop stressing about what other people do, and take care of your own.
Your viewpoint is absurd.
Have you never heard of generational passive wealth ?
Is it moral for 62 people to own as much as 3 billion people ?
You don't "earn" that kind of money, you steal it.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:58 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there again you are stressing over what someone else is doing, and that does nothing but harm YOU. if you are making what you want to be making, and you are covering your nut doing that, and you are happy with what you have, then why are you stressing over what someone else does? i dont give a damn that bill gates, for instance, is worth $50 billion. it doesnt matter to me. i dont care if warren buffet is worth several billion either, again it doesnt matter to me, i just dont care about what they make, so why do you?

if i wanted to be rich, i could have been. i just didnt want the headaches that go along with getting there and maintaining the wealth. too many issues from people like you wanting some government to take away what i EARNED, because you are jealous of what i have, rather than trying to get what you want ofr yourself.

you are the typical self absorbed liberal that want to destroy the rich because they went out and EARNED what they have. you think that because they got rich, they must have been doing something nefarious to get that way. you cant stand others being extremely successful while you are not. and you think that somehow big government should step in and prevent everyone from getting richer than anyone else.

in the end what you want is equal outcomes, and that just wont happen, regardless of what you or some government agency wants. you have yet to learn that life isnt fair, that some people are just not motivated to make a lot of money, and some are. you also forget that at a certain point on the money making scale, that if you are going to be wealthy, you are going to have to spend a lot more time working with your money to just maintain the wealth, let alone increase it.

the fact is that you dont know what they did to get where they are, and what they need to do just to maintain what they have.

so stop stressing over what they do, and stress over what you do about your own situation.

Of course there will always be differences between humans, but if you are defending the current absurd state of the world, you are nuts.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:59 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
If you don't realize things are going wrong, you have a problem.

Also, many rich people are rich because of crimes and immoral actions such as tax evasion.

Nobody on earth deserves to own hundreds of millions let alone billions of dollars or euros, not a single person, no matter what their work is.
Do you know how many billions of dollars have been given to charity by these evil people?
Do you know how many millions of people have been saved by the Gates foundation's work against malaria?
Do you know how much the evil Koch brothers have donated to cancer research and other things?
Do you know how many jobs have been created by these people?
Do you know that most taxes paid by these corporations would be passed to consumers?

Why doesn't anyone deserve billions of dollars or euros?
If a billion people are using and enjoying someones product why shouldn't they be paid for it?
etc,etc

Old 01-18-2016, 08:02 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
I agree that having so much wealth in the hands of 62 people (individuals, not corporations) seems a bit lop-sided. Sounds like the days of the robber barons.

Of course, some of these individuals obviously use their immense wealth for the public good, like Bill Gates. Indeed, back in the days of the Roman Empire, the very wealthy were expected to spend huge sums of money on public projects.

Anyway, while disturbing, I don't really see that much can be done, save for perhaps closing some of those loopholes concerning tax havens.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:02 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Do you have any idea how much more wealth you have than the poorest people in the world? If you live in America and able to be posting on a computer I would bet you have many, many times more wealth than the typical poor person in the world.
Is that fair? or is the cutoff for fair somewhere above the normal American?

ETA: How much richer than the poorest does someone have to be for it to be immoral?

Old 01-18-2016, 08:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
This thread is really cracking me up.

Without investment, we'd be living in the stone age.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:08 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times

Old 01-18-2016, 08:11 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Things have gotten out of hand. I am not against a small gain from investment, but things have gone way too far.
It would be possible to cap such gains, stop excessive speculation etc. if it happened on a global basis via one of those global trade or UN organizations.

Indeed, that is why I am saying there should be clear global laws without exception. Make companies pay full taxes locally wherever they earn money. No loopholes, no nationalist egoism, etc. So immoral acts would turn into crimes, which could be punished.
once again you show your true stripes, you want everyone to be equal, and that viewpoint is rubbish. if everyone was earning the same money, then where is the incentive to push the boundaries of technology? where is the incentive to improve ones lot in life if that person so chooses? and once again you wish to punish success, and that again kills the incentive to make things better. sorry i dont want to live in the soviet union, even though you might. it doesnt work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
while there are some that do steal, they end up getting punished as a result. you are also like neuling, you think that if someone has made more money than you, they must have done something illegal to get where they did. you and neuling have a truly myopic view on the world, and apparently you both want the old soviet union model where everyone made teh same amount of money regardless of their job.

but again i ask, so what if someone makes enough money to buy and sell small countries? what difference does it make to you? can you answer me that question?

Quote:
Of course there will always be differences between humans, but if you are defending the current absurd state of the world, you are nuts.
what i am defending is FREEDOM. the freedom to make all the money you can, the freedom to not make all the money you can. if you dont like it, then move to a more authoritarian country, like say north korea. or saudi arabia, or iran.

you guys keep pissing and moaning about what a few people in the world have made for themselves, you suggest that they have done something illegal WITH NO PROOF WHATSOEVER of that happening, and you want some authoritarian government to do something about it, all because you are limited in what you think to some ideal that you think everyone should follow.

well sorry but the world doesnt work that way.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:13 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
A good start would be to erase the national debt. Just write it off the books, shut down the Federal Reserve and have a surplus refunded to the treasury for past interest paid. The banking familes could eat the loss and it still would leave them trillions.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:20 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
I simply have a very different mindset. That whole "earn as much as you possible can" approach is so not me.
I don't mind modestly rich people, i.e. normal millionaires who really work for it. They are not the problem. I am against the filthy rich and even more against the system which allows them to become that rich in the first place.

Yes, we do give aid to poor countries, but at the same time we hurt them even more. There are studies that say that we actually extract more money from Africa than we pay her. We pretend to help and be generous, while in reality we benefit more than we help.
The EU for instance has various policies in place that really hurt Africa, for instance in terms of agriculture.

I speak mostly about Africa because that is certainly the most problematic continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.