Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 04:25 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You must be young.

I could not get birth control pills until I was in my 20s and married. At the time - the late 60s - they weren't legal to prescribe for unmarried women of any age.

Boys could purchase condoms in men's restrooms, though IME not many did.

Although most roman catholics today ignore the pope on this, it is still official doctrine that anything other than the rhythm method is sinful. And there are non-catholics who believe this as well.

I'm not seriously worried about going back on this issue, but the fact is there are a noticeable number of people who still do oppose barrier and hormonal methods of birth control. And banning them is doable. Just get the FDA on board.

And actually, yes, the police were known to try to catch people having "illegal" sex - adulterous or interracial sex or sodomy - breaking into people's bedrooms to catch them in the act. The last incidence of this I remember occurred probably in the early 70s, to a couple of gay men.

The late 60s was 50 years ago. Times have changed. So much so, that some 30 years ago the then president's own son offered to show on himself how to put on a condom. Birth control is passed out in schools, and probably other places as well. People are also free to buy them without the mortification experienced by Blanche, Dorothy, and Rose in the late 1980s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 04:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
The late 60s was 50 years ago. Times have changed. So much so, that some 30 years ago the then president's own son offered to show on himself how to put on a condom. Birth control is passed out in schools, and probably other places as well. People are also free to buy them without the mortification experienced by Blanche, Dorothy, and Rose in the late 1980s.
Yes, and I'd like to see them continue.

But your question was, "How, specifically, is anyone "against contraception"? Will there be police everywhere with big hands pushing down on men's asses as they approach orgasm?"

You asked, I answered. I told you how some people are still opposed to contraception and exactly how it could happen and be enforced. Don't kid yourself about this.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:30 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
None of your "personal freedoms" hang in the balance. Are you afraid that Ted Cruz is going to send out a SSM squad and force you and your spouse apart? Are you going to just ignore your relationship if the government (regardless of who is in office) says SSM is not a Constitutional right?

See why government should NEVER be involved in determining who can and who can't marry. Citizens are beholden to the government to define their relationship. How can that ever be seen as freedom?

You have basically admitted that you have to vote for whoever assures you that your relationship is valid, so you have lost your freedom to think for yourself and vote into office those people who could improve your life and liberty because you are paralyzed by the fear that the government will take away what you deem is a right and not a privilege.

The government that was created by our Founders was specifically enacted to prevent the government from ever being allowed to take away our rights, yet here you are, totally afraid that the government that progressives have created is going to do just that.

FYI.....I am not homosexual.

I do not have to BE a homosexual to believe they should enjoy the same rights and/or privileges that heterosexuals enjoy.

And......I am single and plan to stay that way, so I have no skin in the marriage game.

Also, I am 62 years old, so I will never again have the need for an abortion.......that does not, however, mean that I want to see women lose the right to choose.

When I was of child bearing age, I was relieved to know that I could choose to abort if my BC failed and I want other women to have the same option.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes, and I'd like to see them continue.

But your question was, "How, specifically, is anyone "against contraception"? Will there be police everywhere with big hands pushing down on men's asses as they approach orgasm?"

You asked, I answered. I told you how some people are still opposed to contraception and exactly how it could happen and be enforced. Don't kid yourself about this.

And I said even if it did, however unlikely, I'd still rather be alive and safe and know that my mother can go to the supermarket without two armed Pinkerton Guards. And be able to afford to go to any market in the first place. A market of our own choice. And be able to buy salt if I want.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Where have you been?

That is only one of the many ways Republicans are trying to erode a woman's right to choose.

To choose what many see as MURDER. Pay for it yourself if you want it that badly, don't expect me to pay for it.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:03 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:

I do not have to BE a homosexual to believe they should enjoy the same rights and/or privileges that heterosexuals enjoy.

And......I am single and plan to stay that way, so I have no skin in the marriage game.

Also, I am 62 years old, so I will never again have the need for an abortion.......that does not, however, mean that I want to see women lose the right to choose.

When I was of child bearing age, I was relieved to know that I could choose to abort if my BC failed and I want other women to have the same option.
but it was you, who brought up the '''bennies'''

if you truly want people to have a choice, then why not fight to get the government out of the marriage business..get the government out of defining what a spouse or dependent is

your 62...what if you needed to take care of your 60 yr old brother.. you wont get the '''bennies''' because he wont be classified a dependent (unless you get him classified as a disabled dependent) ....what if you need to take care of your 80 year old mother...cant get the bennies (ie put he on your insurance)...why because the GOVERNMENT wont allow you

Old 01-19-2016, 08:05 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:

I don't care if you want or get an abortion.... but do the CORRECT thing...pay for it yourself....have some pride...don't EXPECT someone else to pay your bill, for a poor choice or poor performing bc

Old 01-19-2016, 08:10 PM

What is this obsession with abortion? As if humans had a strong, biological necessity to create life and then butcher that life? This is why the term "Feminazi" was coined. It equates abortion with being permitted to see or breathe. The person with this blinding obsession becomes instantly outraged and hysterical whenever there's an opposing viewpoint expressed.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:28 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

There are also efforts in some states to ignore the gay marriage ruling by legislating the state to ignore it. These divisive issues have created a real contempt for federal government and the court. Liberals think they have won these issues, well there is a chance these issues could now really create a constitutional crisis if just one state decides to defy ...

States rights is the issue of the future in Red State America. The future of the union is in question and secession could one day be an issue again. You cannot ignore the constitutional rights of 100 million Americans who live in states where there laws forbid things such as gay marriage and abortion. The South and parts of the West are conservative religious places and the laws reflect that, and the more populous North and West Coast has usurped the rights to these states.
Honestly I feel any attempt by a group of state legislators to nullify a Supreme Court decision will fail. It will fail. The only place where a few state legislators are talking about this is Tennessee as far as I know, and I read in the news today the Republican governor of that state says he would veto such a bill. Don't you remember what happened in Indiana last year?

Secondly, I will say with 100% confidence there will be no secession of the states (like there was in 1861) in the foreseeable future. It won't happen.

The best chance opponents of abortion or same sex marriage have is to draft amendments to the US Constitution. Very difficult to do. Sen. Cruz has already propose a bill to amend the Constitution to ban same sex marriage. Let's see how far that gets. Anything is possible.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:15 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Why would someone like Huckabee get in?
Perhaps a lethal virus could decimate everyone with an IQ over 80 in the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies