Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 09:08 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Or they could insure healthy young patients. That would bring in massive revenues!
That's what Obama and the Dems thought would happen with the ACA. It didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 09:10 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Know my solution? It's more far fetched than most (and originally it was tongue in cheek with some of my co-workers): outlaw all forms of health coverage and let individuals personally strike 'contracts' with their health care provider.
Exactly! Cut the middle MAN out. For example medical centers could offer health plans and the patient would buy the plan directly from the people that actually provide the care. IN Uruguay anyone can buy cheap health insurance directly from medical centers and group of doctors. In fact expats retirees love the plan and to top it off they will gladly accept Blue Cross if you are not a member. Why do you think Kayser is growing?

Quote:
Do away with cmms, state doi's... Void all the government contracts with the contractors that write the rules, and remove the payor licenses of Aetna, Cigna, United, Humana, anthem, Coventry, centene, Molina, etc... And let individuals, docs, dentists, chiros, hospitals, asc's, snf, etc... Work it out themselves.
Yes! Let the market decide with no CRONY capitalism.

Quote:
Now, administratively, watchdogs, and about 20 other variables go out the window. A doc could charge what they want, see who they want, not see who they want, etc...
The docs can always be regulated through licensing. But, that is a moot point because corporate America has been buying the practice of doctors for a long time and many now work for a salary. My very own doctor simply gave up to the terrible red tape of health plans and denial of care. He rather work for a salary than battle the health plans.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:22 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm still waiting for you to explain how profitable it's going to be when only 13% of Medicare spending comes from premiums. How are you going to charge a competitive market rate that will make up the other 87%?

They can't.

These are liberal idiots who do not work as providers in the healthcare field.

We see medicare patients (even though we lose money on every one of them) due to the fact that private insurance profits allow us to do so.

In my practice, I limit the number of medicare patients to 20% per day and do not take new Medicare patients. Medicare patients in our area generally have waits of 3-4 months to see a physician. If you have private insurance- 1-2 weeks. If we opened our doors to all medicare patients, we would be broke.

In healthcare we have expenses:

1. I employ four nurses, two nurse practioners, two receptionists and a biller coder
2 I have $1 million in overhead per year
3. If I only had medicare patients, I would generate $400K per year and would lose $600K per year with ZERO income.
4. Medicare "managed care" takes regular medicare and makes it worse by restricting payment and access
5. Drug companies and equipment makers could not survive if reimbursed for medicare rates (contacted)

If you want "single payer" you would:

1. have "expected" costs of $1.3 trillion per year
2. above costs do not take account of the fact that 1/3 of medical practices would be bankrupt
3. above costs do not take into acccount the actual overhead costs in seeing patients
4. the above costs do not take into account that physicians will not work for free
5. the above costs do not take into account that innovation from the drug and equipment companies would come to a standstill.
6. remove trillions of dollars from the private economy- what do you suppose would happen to consumer demand/jobs, the economy?

keep in mind that the same "geniuses" that are advocating "single payer" are the same ones that were cheering "Obamacare" (which is collapsing, as it is just an expansion of medicaid).

Nothing is free- WAKE UP- Are you really that dumb? Perhaps MTA-Tech (who was a big advocate of the cost savings of Obamacare) could spin you some fables about how all this would work without MASSIVE increases in US taxes?

Old 02-05-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Please post quote.
And the issue here is the pressure from investors to maximize the profit margin.
I don't have any problems with private corporations that make huge profits and pay their employees a good salary. They are not measured by the price of the stock.
What makes you think private sector health insurance companies make huge profits?

Why Health Insurers Make Lousy Villains - US News

Old 02-05-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Introduce a sliding scale. The more you make, the higher the percent on health insurance (Medicare) paid.

It would be more equitable for everyone.
No it wouldn't. Medicare tax isn't capped, and high income earners are already paying many multiples more than they'll ever use in benefits and much, much more than are others for the exact same services and benefits.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What makes you think private sector health insurance companies make huge profits?

Why Health Insurers Make Lousy Villains - US News

A 3-4% profit margin when the gross is 130 billion (United Health) is not bad money.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
They can't.

We see medicare patients (even though we lose money on every one of them) due to the fact that private insurance profits allow us to do so.

In my practice, I limit the number of medicare patients to 20% per day and do not take new Medicare patients. Medicare patients in our area generally have waits of 3-4 months to see a physician. If you have private insurance- 1-2 weeks. If we opened our doors to all medicare patients, we would be broke.

1. I employ four nurses, two nurse practioners, two receptionists and a biller coder
3. If I only had medicare patients, I would generate $400K per year and would lose $600K per year with ZERO income.
4. Medicare "managed care" takes regular medicare and makes it worse by restricting payment and access
5. Drug companies and equipment makers could not survive if reimbursed for medicare rates (contacted)

2. above costs do not take account of the fact that 1/3 of medical practices would be bankrupt
3. above costs do not take into acccount the actual overhead costs in seeing patients
4. the above costs do not take into account that physicians will not work for free
5. the above costs do not take into account that innovation from the drug and equipment companies would come to a standstill.
6. remove trillions of dollars from the private economy- what do you suppose would happen to consumer demand/jobs, the economy?

keep in mind that the same "geniuses" that are advocating "single payer" are the same ones that were cheering "Obamacare" (which is collapsing, as it is just an expansion of medicaid).

Nothing is free- WAKE UP- Are you really that dumb? Perhaps MTA-Tech (who was a big advocate of the cost savings of Obamacare) could spin you some fables about how all this would work without MASSIVE increases in US taxes?
As a practice manager you blow the horn for private health quite well.
Your numbers make no SENSE.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:38 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
They can't.

Ah, so that's why the rest of us are charged with nonsense. You don't make money off them. Why do many have to pay an office visit for test results that could easily be given over the phone. It's all about the dollar to you....not the care.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
As of now billions of dollars in profit flow into the top 0.01% private elite. I would say these profits could be used to alleviate the Medicare expenses.
You have no idea how saving/investing for retirement (pension plans, 401Ks, etc.), education (529s), etc., works, do you?

American workers and retirees have $27 trillion invested in retirement assets, alone. The top 0.01% has an aggregate net worth of just under $6 trillion.

$27 trillion in pension savings means lots of attention | Fiduciary Matters

"The 16,000 families making up the richest 0.01%, with an average net worth of $371 million..."
The Economist - World News, Politics, Economics, Business & Finance

Profits on investments are far more likely to be going to the group which has $27 trillion in retirement assets than to the top 0.01% who have less than 1/4 that amount of wealth.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Ah, so that's why the rest of us are charged with nonsense. You don't make money off them. Why do many have to pay an office visit for test results that could easily be given over the phone. It's all about the dollar to you....not the care.
I think the post is bogus. Ther manager has a few employees and claims to have one million dollars in overhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies