Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 02:42 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Maybe the goal is to eventually swap Nations? It is warmer down there.
Thanks for that. This made me laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 02:52 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,177 times
take a closer look at the 1st graph. Mfg. jobs took a sharp nosedive in 2007 & 2008. They've actually recovered since he took office. And I am NOT a fan of his. But I can read a graph.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:15 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The jobs you didn't lose.
Which are???

Old 02-12-2016, 03:28 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
The biggest upside of NAFTA was it opened a market for millions of toms of corn grown by the corporate mega farms in the Mid West. NAFTA was a great deal for American corporate (read Monsanto) agriculture and the financial and manufacturing industries that support it. The resulting drop in Mexican corn prices drove many Mexican families to flee to the US to avoid destitution and starvation. This created our so called "Immigration Crisis'.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:29 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,658 times
The days of high school educated laborers being able to earn 50k a year is over. The quicker that people realize this and retrain themselves for different jobs the better. If your job can be done by an uneducated peasant in a third world country, I don't have much sympathy for you when you lose it. These people should have taken advantage of the educational opportunities available in the United States instead of just going to work at a factory.

I thought conservatives were supposed to be champions of the free market. This is the free market in action. It may cost some people their jobs, but it saves thousands of other Americans lots of money when they don't have to pay jacked up prices for consumer goods to keep workers employed at overinflated salaries. Moves like this are a net good for the country.

Last edited by phxone; 02-12-2016 at 03:45 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 03:30 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The biggest upside of NAFTA was it opened a market for millions of toms of corn grown by the corporate mega farms in the Mid West. NAFTA was a great deal for American corporate (read Monsanto) agriculture and the financial and manufacturing industries that support it. The resulting drop in Mexican corn prices drove many Mexican families to flee to the US to avoid destitution and starvation. This created our so called "Immigration Crisis'.
Why can't politicians look ahead to see what they will inherit when they do something.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:50 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
No - contrary to how it may appear, the Mexicans in the US are the ones who can't get jobs in Mexico - mainly poor and under educated.

A lot of them were forced to come to the United States due to the destructive influences of our agricultural/ethanol subsidies. The small farmers in the Mexican border states cannot compete with the huge ag corporations and their gigantic taxpayer funded subsides. The immigration crisis is primarily the fault of the United States, ag industry lobbyists and elected officials in farm states like Iowa.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:52 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
The days of high school educated laborers being able to earn 50k a year is over. The quicker that people realize this and retrain themselves for different jobs the better. If your job can be done by an uneducated peasant in a third world country, I don't have much sympathy for you when you lose it. These people should have taken advantage of the educational opportunities available in the United States instead of just going to work at a factory.

I thought conservatives were supposed to be champions of the free market. This is the free market in action. It may cost some people their jobs, but it saves thousands of other Americans lots of money when they don't have to pay jacked up prices for consumer goods to keep workers employed at overinflated salaries. Moves like this are a net good for the country.
Not true if you have a healthy manufacturing base. There is no reason the USA can't be competitive. Our trade deals must level the playing field. Bad deals result in loss of jobs.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:58 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,955,245 times
Wow. I'm surprised the employees just stood there and took it. I saw one guy walked out. Good for him. They ought to ALL have just walked off the job right then and shut the company down. I understand they have mortgages to pay and kids to feed. But all they are doing is delaying the inevitable.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:00 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post

You were doing OK until this:

"I thought conservatives were supposed to be champions of the free market. This is the free market in action."

This is NOT the "free market"

It is a result of NAFTA which was CLINTON.

The last I checked he was NOT a conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies