Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 08:05 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What's not to like about Mexico ? No unions, no high employment taxes, no mandated Obamacare, no mandated family leave, no high $20-25/hour salaries.

A person's salary is just one part of the overall labor cost a company has to pay for.

It is OUR demand for cheaper products while insisting on high wages that is pushing manufacturing out of our country. Something has to give. Either pay more for products made here or accept lower wages here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 08:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If Toyota can afford to build cars here profitably surely Carrier can build A/C units.

What happens is the manufacturing gets sent to cheap labor countries. Others have to follow to compete and then they price their products what they would cost here anyway.

I go with my wife shoe shopping and I see a pair of plastic womens shoes selling for $50. I look and they are made in China. There is no way we couldn't profitably make $50 plastic shoes.
But you consider that "cheap labor" while comparing to the US.

Costs are lower in these countries.

From a Mexican mfg site:

Mexico vs. China Manufacturing, Manufacturing in Mexico | TACNA Services
Social Responsibility:
Relatively strict environmental laws
48 hour work week and a low, but livable wage in Mexico.
Tight family circles with employees going home daily
Provides relatively good jobs in Mexico, helping to stem the flow of illegal immigration to the U.S
Reasonably developed employee safety practices.
Strong child labor laws
Reasonable health and safety monitoring and inspections.

Global Companies succeeding with Mexico Manufacturing | TACNA Services
More than 18,000 companies with U.S. investment have operations there, and the U.S. accounts for more than 40% of all foreign direct investment in Mexico.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
That is 2007 and those were bonuses which threw them over the UAW wage.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:18 PM

Until the US Government gets off their high horse about taxing global income and mandating employers "pay for it all" companies will continue to leave.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It is OUR demand for cheaper products while insisting on high wages that is pushing manufacturing out of our country. Something has to give. Either pay more for products made here or accept lower wages here.
Well that ain't gonna happen with unskilled burger flippers demanding $15/hour.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:25 PM

6 posts, read 3,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You were doing OK until this:

"I thought conservatives were supposed to be champions of the free market. This is the free market in action."

This is NOT the "free market"

It is a result of NAFTA which was CLINTON.

The last I checked he was NOT a conservative.

Why because he has a D next to his name?
Why because the morons on talk radio and Fox News say hes a "LIBERAL"
Clintoon and Obozo are very very pro business no matter what your moron republiclown talk show host say
Learn to think outside the box

Old 02-12-2016, 08:28 PM

6 posts, read 3,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Which are???

The crappy service sector jobs that use to go to high school kids

Old 02-12-2016, 08:29 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is 2007 and those were bonuses which threw them over the UAW wage.
Just because that was 2007 doesn't mean it's not true today and pay is pay is pay.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Just because that was 2007 doesn't mean it's not true today and pay is pay is pay.
Those were bonuses, not salary.

And the UAW does want its claws into Toyota's business but Toyota was smart and their employees are "temp workers" which means no union.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
If Toyota can afford to build cars here profitably surely Carrier can build A/C units.

What happens is the manufacturing gets sent to cheap labor countries. Others have to follow to compete and then they price their products what they would cost here anyway.

I go with my wife shoe shopping and I see a pair of plastic womens shoes selling for $50. I look and they are made in China. There is no way we couldn't profitably make $50 plastic shoes.
Toyota's per hour labor cost is about $10/ HR less than GM and Ford. They do not have legacy pension plans to fund. The cars Toyota builds in the US are for the US market. They don't incur the expenses of shipping overseas and avoid tariffs. I wonder if the Japanese people resent that Toyota offshore so these jobs?

Back in the early 2000's Toyota buiky a new manufacturing plant in Mexico for lower per hour labor costs and to take advantage of Mexico's free trade agreements with the rest of the world. Again, I wonder if the Japanese people resent Toyota for doing so.

As for the $50 plastic shoes ....... Who knows? Maybe the shoes cost 25 cents to make in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies