Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 12:38 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It isn't just union jobs leaving. It's kind of sad when those like yourself are O.K. with the weakening of the country over your dislike of unions. In the end you lose also.
Unions only account for 15% of the workforce so his point is a failure.
People like him want all the power concentrated in one class and workers to have no rights.
There is no balance of power in that equation

Organized Big Business that brought us NAFTA, TPP etc is Saintly

Organized Labor is evil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 12:42 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
In my everyday work I execute contracts with companies I wish to be a vendor for. The very large companies set the terms of the contracts and it is to their favor. My benefit is I have their business, gain gross/net sales with tolerable margin.(gain an advantage in supplying a Fortune 50, which leads to future contracts.etc) It is win-win although not entirely 50-50. The contract terms I have with smaller companies are 50-50 and win-win. The contract terms I have with very small companies who seek me out are win-win but not 50-50-they are in my favor.

I see trade treaties similarly. The treaties should be win-win but not 50-50 when dealing with the United States and a lesser developed country. We are not the last Coca-Cola in the desert but we are Coca-Cola.

We should not be as Brazil which is terribly protectionist but we should note to take care of our industries which have many internal linkages.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-13-2016 at 01:32 PM..

Old 02-13-2016, 12:53 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Just one small, most recent example..
I've experienced this at multiple places I worked at quite a many years ago,
all in the manufacturing field. It started in the 90's thanks to Bush and Clinton.
America is falling apart. Too many voters believed all the lies and did nothing about it.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
NAFTA benefited business and trade, not individuals.
If NAFTA didn't benefit Americans why would you think NAFTA would benefit Mexicans ?

These trade deals are not for the peoples' benefits. They are for business and trade.

The globalists do care. The goal of globalists is not to lift everyone in the world to the same status as American workers.

Hillary is a globalist. And she's going to be sitting in the Oval Office come 2017. You can bet on it.

Yep, agree. It was all done for the top ruling elite.

If Ross Perot had not dropped out of the race, foolishly in my opinion, he would have been the first candidate to change the system after being elected. We could be in a stable economy with nothing but promise. It is very unfortunate he dropped out and then came back in later. Our hope in breaking the system now sits in the hands of much less worthy men in my opinion.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Which in part is why they did away with the lifetime replacement of a new one if yours broke.
Yep it was all part of the plan

With a lot of items made in China, their designed and manufactured with built-in obsolescence as a primary feature. It doesn't last very long, and it's not cost effective to repair. So we just trash the old stuff and buy another one.

It ends up costing us more then, than if it was American made with HQ in mind.
There is no green or efficiency in that.

It just means more profits and money to the elite class

Old 02-13-2016, 01:26 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nothing.

LMAO

Yeah...that's the ticket. Meanwhile, Germany finds a way to keep their high paying manufacturing work.

Why? Trump couldn't care less.

Nope. Arizona was founded as a RTW state and we've never attracted much in the way of manufacturers.

That's the point. What good were right to work laws then?

Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Yep, agree. It was all done for the top ruling elite.

If Ross Perot had not dropped out of the race, foolishly in my opinion, he would have been the first candidate to change the system after being elected. We could be in a stable economy with nothing but promise. It is very unfortunate he dropped out and then came back in later. Our hope in breaking the system now sits in the hands of much less worthy men in my opinion.
RP ? Possibly, but EDS was ahead of the outsourcing curve. If he was born 25 years later, who's to say that Ross wouldn't have just off-shored IT to make his money - after all, greedy bastards don't care how they make their money (if indeed he was a greedy bastard).

It's on Congress and the double-sided coin that is the Repulican/Democratic parties to build sustainable jobs in the USA through corporate R&D, corp. development/subsidies to keep good jobs in the good ole USA and not overseas. All they have done is through FTAs is incentivize corporate profits (not jobs). Competition works well when it's a level playing field but when is it ever a level playing field ? What we are living is the results of that policy.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:36 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Announcing this move while Trump is literally behind the podium talking about trade and jobs is really something. I have a hunch we'll hear about it tonight.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:38 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Another thing that DesertDetroiter is missing is that Germany has a whole underclass of full time workers paid so little that they need government handouts as Germany doesn't have a true minimum wage. Poverty is on the rise in Germany.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/19/bu...past.html?_r=0

Germany’s meat industry stirs debate on low pay - FT.com

Sorry, but that's not true. Since last year Germany has a general minimum wage. And a full time worker on minimum wage don't need "handouts". That's nonsense. And it's a lot easier to life in Germany on minimum wage than it is in the U.S. Serious poverty is much less common in Germany than it is in the U.S.
There is and always was a minimum wage for almost every industry (agreed wages between unions and employers associations). Significant above the general minimum wage.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Toyota is moving manufacturing to Mexico too.
Yep, but I guarantee you that they won't close any plants in Japan in order to do it.

I can't think of a single German manufacturer that closed a domestic plant in order to move that production elsewhere. They only expand manufacturing to other nations.

Other nations are economic patriots. We aren't.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:47 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep, but I guarantee you that they won't close any plants in Japan in order to do it.

I can't think of a single German manufacturer that closed a domestic plant in order to move that production elsewhere. They only expand manufacturing to other nations.

What's the difference? A job not created is a future job lost. If all new jobs, i.e. "future" plants go to other countries, where is the new workforce going to get employed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies