Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 08:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I heard one word in that speech that jumped out at me..........Union. While it is a sucky move for Carrier to do this, I bet the Union made it difficult for Carrier to be competitive.Personally, I hate unions...........they had their purpose at one time, but that time has passed.

I worked for a company that was non union, but then the plant decided they wanted to join a union. Things changed over night.......for the worse. Our once friendly company turned into us versus them. I worked in the office in management and I was not allowed to enter the plant without a union person accompanying me. They made it impossible to get anything productive done, and there was always some grievance about one thing or another. A once friendly environment because hostile and hateful.

Not saying this move was caused by the union, but I bet those workers were making a Hell of a lot of money for the jobs they were doing.

Don
$50-$70k is no longer a "hell of a lot of money". That's a statement that I can remember back would seem a foreign idea to me.

If the $50-$70k jobs go away, who will buy the cars now starting near $20k and up? When people no longer buy them, then what? etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 08:37 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
$50-$70k is no longer a "hell of a lot of money". That's a statement that I can remember back would seem a foreign idea to me.

If the $50-$70k jobs go away, who will buy the cars now starting near $20k and up? When people no longer buy them, then what? etc.
8 year car loans.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:42 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Mexico's government is terrible for their people. Rather than concentrating on business and exporting products they concentrate on exporting people.
Not so much anymore. Mexico's manufacturing economy is growing by leaps and bounds creating a demand for labor. The flux to the US has reversed and young people are staying in Mexico to take all those jobs moving from the US. It's a new paradigm.

Look at this as a positive. It means 1200 illegals won't be coming here to take our jobs.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Not so much anymore. Mexico's manufacturing economy is growing by leaps and bounds creating a demand for labor. The flux to the US has reversed and young people are staying in Mexico to take all those jobs moving from the US. It's a new paradigm.
That's the claim......I hope it's true but only time will tell. Those making the claim are not believable so I'll have to see it with my own eyes.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:04 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,269 times
NAFTA originated in June 1990 between President George Bush, president of the United States, and
Carlos Salinas, president of Mexico.

President Bush hurried the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
negotiations to a conclusion in 1992 (in time for the Republican National Convention). Although
NAFTA still required congressional approval, the Bush campaign believed the ensuing debate
would divide the Democratic Party and make candidate Bill Clinton appear weak and vacillating
on trade issues, which would lead to rewarding Bush with a second term.

A former Bush aide that helped Clinton push through NAFTA said, “the real question is whether Clinton has learned that the road to a successful presidency runs through the center of Congress and the best way to win is to put together
bipartisan coalitions.

NAFTA opponents – included labor, environmental, consumer and religious groups – argued that NAFTA would launch a race-to-the-bottom in wages, destroy hundreds of thousands of good U.S. jobs, undermine democratic control of domestic policy-making and threaten health, environmental and food safety standards.

NAFTA promoters – including many of the world's largest corporations and the US Chamber of Commerce – promised it would create hundreds of thousands of new high-wage U.S. jobs, raise living standards in the U.S., Mexico and Canada, improve environmental conditions and transform Mexico from a poor developing country into a booming new market for U.S. exports.

Congress and the White House stood by the corporations and the US Chamber of Commerce (who still trumpet it's success, today - https://www.uschamber.com/sites/defa...TA_20Years.pdf)

NAFTA passed the Senate 61 to 38. Democrats were almost evenly split: 27 YEA, 26 NAY (and 1 not in attendance for the vote). Republicans voted for it by a larger margin: 34 YEA to 12 NAY.

NAFTA passed the House 234 to 200. House Democrats voted against it 156 to 102. Republicans supported it 132 to 43. The sole Independent—Bernie Sanders—voted against it.

Many who voted for it received favorable items and protections for their state added to both NAFTA and other legislation.
Politicians from both parties, who's states stood little to loose, were for it, as were those who had significant business funding support.

Of the members (or congress) with large (30% or more) business funding (215), there were 138 votes for NAFTA and 77 votes against. The large labor funding of 34 members was 30 votes against NAFTA.

There is plenty of blame to go around, but without the support of congress, it would have never happened. And that is where the majority of the blame needs to go.

Last edited by plannine; 02-13-2016 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 09:16 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
I wouldn't trust products from any company whose employees take vertical videos.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:34 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
Here's United Technologies financials for 2014. I suppose this is the most recent report available.

7% year-over-year increase in profits of $2.8 Billion for $16.8 Billions in net sales for their "UTC Climate, Controls & Security" division. See page 19 of that report for more information.

I guess that's just not enough profit and growth for Wall Street.

http://2014ar.utc.com/assets/pdfs/UT...FullReport.pdf

Then there is the Iphone that costs 200 to make including labor, and they sell it back to us for 650 bucks so that execs and wall street can get a big cut of other peoples money.

Before any of these Trade Agreements were enacted, Worker Rights, or even the same Constitution we have should have been required under all participating countries.

The Communist System in China does not work under For the People, By the People and To the People like ours does, or is supposed to be.

250 Million Chinese had their lands bull dozed and stolen and forced to move to the cities to make widgets.
There was nothing voluntary or Free about it which is required under Free Market Capitalism

Old 02-13-2016, 09:51 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Default The Ever-Increasing Irrelevant American

Our worldwide operations can be affected by industrial, eco- nomic and political factors on both a regional and global level. To
limit the impact of any one industry, or the economy of any single country on our consolidated operating results, our strategy has been, and continues to be, the maintenance of a balanced and diversified portfolio of businesses. Our operations include OEM and extensive related aftermarket parts and services in both our commercial and aerospace businesses. Our business mix also reflects the combination of shorter cycles at UTC Climate, Controls & Security and in our commercial aerospace spares businesses, and longer cycles at Otis and in our aerospace OEM and aftermarket maintenance businesses. Our customers include companies in both the public and private sec- tors, and our businesses reflect an extensive geographic diversification that has evolved with the continued globalization of world economies.

http://2014ar.utc.com/assets/pdfs/UT...FullReport.pdf

Maybe you guys should grab some tissues or something.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:55 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
There are a lot of items made by Americans that are similar in price to products overseas, but the profit margins are not as great. They could make the iphone here but then they would not make 500% profit either.

Meanwhile, a lot of the items made overseas are inferior in quality and cheap to make so the execs and wall street charge the same price and pocket a larger sum of other peoples money.

The quality of products Carrier will pop out will deteriorate in quality.
The same thing that happened to Craftsman Tools which used to be one of the halls mark products of American Made before they were manufactured in China. Now Craftsman is junk.

Fortunately there is still Snap-On which is good quality American Made Tools.

All Snap-On branded tool products are made in the USA, with the exception of two lines of tool storage made in Canada. Anything else not 100% made in the USA are labeled as Blue-Point. In addition to the plants listed below, there are other plants in Murphy, NC, Carson City, NV, Crystal Lake, IL, Milwaukee, WI, and Robesonia, PA.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
There are a lot of items made by Americans that are similar in price to products overseas, but the profit margins are not as great. They could make the iphone here but then they would not make 500% profit either.

Meanwhile, a lot of the items made overseas are inferior in quality and cheap to make so the execs and wall street charge the same price and pocket a larger sum of other peoples money.

The quality of products Carrier will pop out will deteriorate in quality.
The same thing that happened to Craftsman Tools which used to be one of the halls mark products of American Made before they were manufactured in China. Now Craftsman is junk.
Which in part is why they did away with the lifetime replacement of a new one if yours broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies