Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 04:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times

Advertisements

Will definitely make a good political ad this year.

Juxtapose Clinton signing NAFTA with this video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 04:16 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
A lot of them were forced to come to the United States due to the destructive influences of our agricultural/ethanol subsidies. The small farmers in the Mexican border states cannot compete with the huge ag corporations and their gigantic taxpayer funded subsides. The immigration crisis is primarily the fault of the United States, ag industry lobbyists and elected officials in farm states like Iowa.
Great. Send all the illegals back to Mexico, and send the lobbyists and crooks in DC with them.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:18 PM

27,656 posts, read 16,142,781 times
I'm surprised they waited this long

Old 02-12-2016, 04:18 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You were doing OK until this:

"I thought conservatives were supposed to be champions of the free market. This is the free market in action."

This is NOT the "free market"

It is a result of NAFTA which was CLINTON.

The last I checked he was NOT a conservative.
George H. W. Bush signed, negotiated and fast tracked it.

Both sides of the table are feasting on the dying middle class American worker.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:25 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Got to love the Obama/Clinton freetrade, globalization platform.

I see 1700 new Trump voters.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:28 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,177 times
well, many ppl on this very forum believe a company has the right to operate however they want to in order to maximize profits.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:34 PM

26,507 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
George H. W. Bush signed, negotiated and fast tracked it.

Both sides of the table are feasting on the dying middle class American worker.
True, Bush Senior started it, but Clinton finalized it and signed it into law.

Clinton also campaigned in 1992 on finishing it, which he did.

Clinton then pushed China into the WTO and attacked those that opposed it as being on the same boat as China's communist hardliners.

Then Clinton pushed through a new permanent trade deal with China that saw our trade deficit balloon and outsourcing skyrocket.

Bill Clinton's True Legacy: Outsourcer-in-Chief

Old 02-12-2016, 04:38 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,097,534 times
I guess being a right to work state didn't help Indiana much.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:42 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I guess being a right to work state didn't help Indiana much.
plenty of jobs have left unionized states to emerging market countries.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:03 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,095,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
The days of high school educated laborers being able to earn 50k a year is over. The quicker that people realize this and retrain themselves for different jobs the better. If your job can be done by an uneducated peasant in a third world country, I don't have much sympathy for you when you lose it. These people should have taken advantage of the educational opportunities available in the United States instead of just going to work at a factory.

I thought conservatives were supposed to be champions of the free market. This is the free market in action. It may cost some people their jobs, but it saves thousands of other Americans lots of money when they don't have to pay jacked up prices for consumer goods to keep workers employed at overinflated salaries. Moves like this are a net good for the country.
-Prices wouldn't be much more expensive than they currently are. They move to increase profit margins, the salaries of the board members, and shareholder dividends, not help out the customer. If the latter was true, as you claim, prices would have dropped once they went off-shore. I haven't seen that yet. I have seen things get smaller and or less durable while prices increase. To think that they care about your savings is laughable.

-One sided trade deals are not a free market....but I'm not a conservative so...

-Back in the day college didn't have the open door policy it has today, and college degrees weren't required like they are today. Go read some history books.

-"If your job can be done by an uneducated peasant in a third world country, I don't have much sympathy for you when you lose it." Wow...that is some incredible elitism. I don't know or care what you do, but you are replaceable. There is somebody in or fresh off the plane from India, Pakistan, Thailand, the Phillipines, Brazil, or South Africa that can do your job for pennies on the dollar to half of your salary depending on work location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies