Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 06:15 PM

50,881 posts, read 24,384,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

but perhaps this can be a good thing here. perhaps we can pump that rising sea water into depleted aquifers, and then be able to end water restrictions around the country, thus being able to irrigate farmland, and feed the world again inexpensively.

that way we can kill two birds with one stone, mitigate sea level rise, and provide water to everyone.

say, we can also fill up some of the ancient lakes and inland seas, and get them living again, like arial sea in russia, and the dead sea in isreal. we would have to do something about salt lake city, if we were to revive lake bonneville though.
well, you start drinking salt water first, and if it works out well for you, the perhaps we'll consider it, too.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,868,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
well, you start drinking salt water first, and if it works out well for you, the perhaps we'll consider it, too.
i would rather distill out the salts and other minerals first before partaking of sea water.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:28 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,760,015 times
A liberal loon just posted we should outlaw pickup trucks because they are gas gusslers. (the post is gone)

Old 02-27-2016, 07:30 PM

35,114 posts, read 17,063,143 times
First off, I repped this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Back when they declared we there was going to be an ice age it gave us little kids nightmares. So now it's global warming, oh I mean, climate change.
This reminds me of the bogeyman of the mid-1960's, a nuclear war, and the need to surrender to, appease, err, accommodate the Soviet Union. Otherwise the alternative would be a nuclear attack during the school day. The parents and the school kiddies would be taken to separate shelters, and we might not see our parents again. Not to worry, the school would keep us safe.

There's always some threat out there that's irrational, in order to engender panic rather than discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So who's made money on the ice age and who's making money on "climate change" that they can't even get right for next week .
Ironically, Al Gore's business partner's last name is "Blood" so it's "Blood" and "Gore." David Blood and Al Gore Want to Reach the Next Generation & Blood And Gore: Making A Killing On Anti-Carbon ... - Forbes

Old 02-27-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Neanderthals just invented fire at that time. Gore must have your money.
I'm about to rep this post too. Actually though there was a lot of auto traffic running along a superhighway along the arctic circle connecting the Ural Mountains on the West to the modern Yukon Territory on the east. Glaciers blocked further expansion of the auto highway but snowmobiles were fouling the air elsewhere. Thus Berngia flooded.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I was being taught in grade school about how the seas are rising and some small pacific islands will disappear... and here we are 40 years later and those same islands are miraculously still there.
I totally agree. See this article,The Marshall Islands Are Disappearing - The New York Times.

See this brief quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
Worlds away, in plush hotel conference rooms in Paris, London, New York and Washington, Tony A. deBrum, the foreign minister of the Marshall Islands, tells the stories of men like Mr. Anej to convey to more powerful policy makers the peril facing his island nation in the Pacific as sea levels rise — and to shape the legal and financial terms of a major United Nations climate change accord now being negotiated in Paris.

Mr. deBrum’s focus is squarely on the West’s wallets — recouping “loss and damage,” in negotiators’ parlance, for the destruction wrought by the rich nations’ industrial might on the global environment.

The debate over loss and damage has been intense because the final language of the Paris accord could require developed countries, first and foremost the United States, to give billions of dollars to vulnerable countries like the Marshall Islands.

The New York Time is staunchly in favor of this "pact." Their leaders claim they're being swamped by the Pacific. The leaders want checks, not to have their citizens relocated. The government of the Marshall Islands and other countries have now scammed the West, in particular the U.S. for very big checks. Obama gets to feel good and generous. I wind up with a smaller paycheck.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
This is a problem. Not saying the anti-carbon guys have the solution, maybe it is great that we are holding off the next ice age. But it is a problem.
I have my doubts that creating a huge, intergovernmental re distributive mechanism to give money to Third World dictators, largely to fund wars and Swiss bank accounts, will ameliorate that problem.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's encouraging to see most people see this for what it is... a big hoax.
No, just most people on City-Data, which is seriously twisted to the right.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:48 PM

It's so entertaining to watch people with no background in science (beyond sorta paying attention in high school) debate scientific theory. Not as entertaining as the last Republican debate...but darned entertaining.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i would rather distill out the salts and other minerals first before partaking of sea water.
Oh. You didn't talk about that. And even now you're not mentioning the cost of desalinization. How convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies