Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:49 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
What was especially laughable is that he counted the Wall Street Journal as "extreme left". But it says more about LifeExplorer than about the media. If you sit on the far right end of a bench, everyone else is a lefty, and most are extreme.
The extremism lies with double standards and the inability to accept any alternative views.

For example, can we at least agree most mass media is left leaning?

Quote:
Some critics of the media say liberal bias exists within a wide variety of media channels, especially within the "Main Stream Media", including network news shows of CBS, ABC, and NBC, cable channels CNN, MSNBC and the former Current TV, as well as major newspapers, news-wires, and radio outlets, especially CBS News, Newsweek, and The New York Times.[44] These arguments intensified when it was revealed that the Democratic Party received a total donation of $1,020,816, given by 1,160 employees of the three major broadcast television networks (NBC, CBS, ABC), while the Republican Party received only $142,863 via 193 donations.[45] Both of these figures represent donations made in 2008.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_...s#Liberal_bias
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
So all those positions are extreme? Some of them positions are supported by a majority of Americans, such as gay marriage, pathway to legal status for illegals, minimum wage. How about pro-choice, is that extreme also?
I didn't say supporting gay marriage is extremism.

I did say giving gay marriage special treatment and unwilling to apply the same rule across the board is extremism.

Most Americans don't even know there has always been a path to legal status for illegals: go home and apply for legal status like everybody else.

Minimum wage is heavily contested. We had discussions after discussions but you leftists refuse to accept it's a mathematical improbability because 1+1 can't equal to 1, a cold and hard fact and truth. You can't increase labor cost but expect nothing else to give. It's just a impossible in math.

What would you call those who refuse to accept elementary school math? Not extreme?

Old 03-02-2016, 12:19 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I didn't say supporting gay marriage is extremism.

I did say giving gay marriage special treatment and unwilling to apply the same rule across the board is extremism.

Most Americans don't even know there has always been a path to legal status for illegals: go home and apply for legal status like everybody else.

Minimum wage is heavily contested. We had discussions after discussions but you leftists refuse to accept it's a mathematical improbability because 1+1 can't equal to 1, a cold and hard fact and truth. You can't increase labor cost but expect nothing else to give. It's just a impossible in math.

What would you call those who refuse to accept elementary school math? Not extreme?
Three points;

What exactly do you mean by gay marriage special treatment? Not following you there.

On immigration, one who crossed the border illegally can simply go back home and immediately apply to re-enter under legal status, assuming there was no official record of their being in the country in the first place?
On the other hand, one who came here legally on a Visa with background check, over-stays and then self deports would be banned from applying for re-entry for 10 years.
You see anything wrong with that picture?

An increase in minimum wage based on inflation has always been supported by the majority. Sure we can debate it, bit supporting it is not extreme. Maybe 15 bucks an hour is, but based on inflation as compared to when it was last raised it should now be around 9 or 10 bucks an hour.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Three points;

What exactly do you mean by gay marriage special treatment? Not following you there.
Post 97

Quote:
On immigration, one who crossed the border illegally can simply go back home and immediately apply to re-enter under legal status, assuming there was no official record of their being in the country in the first place?
On the other hand, one who came here legally on a Visa with background check, over-stays and then self deports would be banned from applying for re-entry for 10 years.
You see anything wrong with that picture?
That is correct. They can and should be allowed to apply for legal status immediately once they go back to their home country. I do not see anything wrong with that picture. That's the path to citizenship for everybody.

Quote:
An increase in minimum wage based on inflation has always been supported by the majority. Sure we can debate it, bit supporting it is not extreme. Maybe 15 bucks an hour is, but based on inflation as compared to when it was last raised it should now be around 9 or 10 bucks an hour.
Again, 1+1=2, not 1, 1.5 or 1.2. Something has to give. The entire premise of the minimum wage is political not scientific and it is mathematically impossible.

I'd be happy to see a leftist says "I understand something has to give and somebody has to pay/lose. Let's see if those "something" are things we can or should afford."

Old 03-02-2016, 12:44 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Post 97

That is correct. They can and should be allowed to apply for legal status immediately once they go back to their home country. I do not see anything wrong with that picture. That's the path to citizenship for everybody.

Again, 1+1=2, not 1, 1.5 or 1.2. Something has to give. The entire premise of the minimum wage is political not scientific and it is mathematically impossible.

I'd be happy to see a leftist says "I understand something has to give and somebody has to pay/lose. Let's see if those "something" are things we can or should afford."

Incest and polygamy is in no way comparable to gay marriage.

Your wrong, those that over-stayed Visas can not go home and immediately apply for legal status.

Not getting your point on minimum wage. Raising the minumum wage is no different then raising any wage.

This thread is supposed to be about extreme views. Extreme views would be those that are only held by a relativity small percentage of the people. I have yet to see any examples of that in this entire thread.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Incest and polygamy is in no way comparable to gay marriage.
Why not? People who love each other shouldn't be allowed to marry? In that case, neither should gays.

How is that not extreme?

Quote:
Your wrong, those that over-stayed Visas can not go home and immediately apply for legal status.
I was talking about the illegals.

Quote:
Not getting your point on minimum wage. Raising the minumum wage is no different then raising any wage.
Fundamental differences.
- Raising the minimum wage is putting a gun on employers' head - it's done through force.
- Raising other wage is completely consensual between the employers and employees.

Quote:
This thread is supposed to be about extreme views. Extreme views would be those that are only held by a relativity small percentage of the people. I have yet to see any examples of that in this entire thread.
Extreme view is my view or no other view. Unwillingness to even discuss other views is extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies