Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 06:48 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times

Advertisements

Oh, the drop is amazingly big and getting bigger. The Congressional odds are going up also. The trend is very clear....Trump is at 40% approval and 54% dis.

That's truly historic.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 06:51 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
It's DDS-----the Double-Down Syndrome. When people put all of themselves behind something, they have no recourse, if it turns out to be false. So they go into denial and try to bolster their situation, by insisting even more vehemently, that it is valid. No matter what evidence is presented to the contrary, they double-down, until their little worlds explode.

And what an odious conflagration of these misfits Trump has drawn to his side. Ignorant rednecks, who are only marginally employable, Neo-Nazis, white nationalists, nihilists, who want to abolish all government and traitors who would aid and abet our enemies, to further their unworthy version of what our country should be.
You just described liberal America since Nov. 2016 in the bold above.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:53 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
I really hope this is the start of a permanent decline... Sadly, I think there are several reasons why so many Trump supporters won't admit they are wrong in voting for Trump. You can't admit when you're in denial, ignorant and/or apathetic about what's going on.
Maybe they are doing well right now, so they don't have anything to complain about. They look at the alternative they could have had for president and are grateful to have Trump.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:12 AM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Go through the previous posts and you can see the liberal problem. Here are some phrases used:
Quote:
Grifter ......The cult ....idiocy ....act like an adult .....sadly, ignorant, in denial ....immature idiot ....misfits .... the Russians ....40% approval ....

They have no position, no candidates and no plan. Virtually everyone in America is doing better today than they were 2 years ago and yet they expect us to believe that we have been "grifted" by an "idiot" who has "40% support" and was selected by "The Russians".
It never seems to occur to them that insulting 63 million American voters will not create votes for their party. Indeed, in my own case (I did not vote for Trump) it has resulted in a new resolve to keep the Democrats out of Washington.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:20 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,835,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Go through the previous posts and you can see the liberal problem. Here are some phrases used:

They have no position, no candidates and no plan. Virtually everyone in America is doing better today than they were 2 years ago and yet they expect us to believe that we have been "grifted" by an "idiot" who has "40% support" and was selected by "The Russians".
It never seems to occur to them that insulting 63 million American voters will not create votes for their party. Indeed, in my own case (I did not vote for Trump) it has resulted in a new resolve to keep the Democrats out of Washington.
Both parties incessantly insult each others bases, this is not the cause because the only people who feel insulted already internally self identify as the party being insulted and are thus unlikely to change.

"I wasn't gonna vote for them but now I'm not going to vote for them EVEN HARDER!" lmao

Old 09-04-2018, 07:29 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Good link !!!

In fact, growth in manufacturing jobs over the past year was greater than at any time since 1995. Blue-collar work for blue-collar skills and blue-collar guys.
This comes after years of being told by Washington elites and the media that their way of life was obsolete, that the people J.D. Vance wrote so eloquently about in "Hillbilly Elegy" had no future. Then Trump shows up, tells them they have reason to hope, and jobs—their kind of jobs—follow. Is it any surprise those workers and their families are sticking with Trump?
Do the math:

Blue Collar Skills take 2 years to complete an Associates Degree Program. Typically 12-18 months for worker retraining. It takes anywhere from 1 - 3 or more years to develop these programs. Could be longer, as many of the colleges are bogged down with administrative and bureaucratic heft.

Anyway, thank you for pointing out any success in the retraining of the worforce, to create "blue collar work for blue collar skills".

Tell us how Trump can claim success for this. It was in motion long before he came into office, and if I recall, he and his supporters ridiculed the notion of investing in people and training.

I spend my life and career in adult continuing education in the manufacturing sector. It's what I've done for the past 18 years. I work with private, government, and educational sectors. You have just proven a success for the admin BEFORE Trump. Can you do me the honor of letting us know who was POTUS when this plan was written and went into effect. Go ahead, say it! You'll feel better.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:29 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I am surprised that his decline is taking this long. But not everyone is quick to admit they backed a grifter.
When the Trump polls are this low, and should they stay this low, we will start seeing GOP members speaking out--apparently they are pretty worried behind the scene.

There is a core of Trump followers that will never leave him. It is pure tribalism and cult of personality. The crucial middle of moderates and independents is where Trump loses ground when he does. If he left the presidency and started a tv network, the hardcore tribe would follow him there. He would have instant ratings, which is all he really cares about anyhow.

I don't think his behavior during the McCain service helped, and that bratty kid of his --Jr.--is not helping. Now we know he's definitely not the smart one.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:35 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,933 times
Polls take a bit of time to get caught up with current events. I'm going to guess these polls are more about the recent Cohen/Pecker statements that show that Trump has been lying to the American people about campaign finance violations - or more specifically (since I doubt the average American cares about campaign finance) that he was deceiving the American public about his knowledge about hush money payments to Daniels and McDougal.

In theory, his base should care that he:
  • lied
  • committed adultery
Considering his base is partially evangelicals - you'd think breaking commandments and whatnot would be problematic. Of course, I'm not sure that's why he is seeing a drop in his approval. His base is steadfast. However, it could be that before this, there was plausible deniability. That's out the window now. However, the only thing Trump still has to keep that part of his base together is that they may be ok with a hypocrite as long as that hypocrite keeps saying the things they want to hear:

- no gay marriage
- no abortions
- you can't say Merry Christmas if I'm not President

Old 09-04-2018, 07:48 AM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
This is the ONLY thing that gives me hope. He is such an immature idiot that he can't even get out of his own way. With the economy humming along he could just shut his trap and perhaps minimize GOP losses in November.

As things are trending now, it doesn't bode well for the GOP which is a GREAT thing for the country. A big thumping in November would send a powerful message to Trump's sycophants in Congress.
Can't wait for November when sore loser liberals and fake media get proven wrong all over again. They are doing the same song and dance as in 2016 by practicing saying it is a guarantee and lock that GOP will lose big this year.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:52 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Can't wait for November when sore loser liberals and fake media get proven wrong all over again. They are doing the same song and dance as in 2016 by practicing saying it is a guarantee and lock that GOP will lose big this year.
You know what I'm looking forward to? The Republican dance and spin after the mid-terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRepulblicanTalkingHead
Democrats lose in midterms since they didn't take back the Senate!
Given the Senate map, I still expect them to lose 1 seat overall. Too many red-state seats to defend and only red-state seats to possibly flip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRepulblicanTalkingHead
"Democrats lose in midterms since they ONLY have 434 seats in the House!
I bet it doesn't matter how many seats Democrats win. If they win 235-200? It's a disappointment. If its 300-135? Why only 300? Where's the #BlueWave? 434-1? Must be Obama's fault!

You'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies