Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 11:15 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Wow, a -22%. Imagine what these polls would look like if taken after the Buzzfeed story on his direction that Cohen to lie to Congress...

It might be time for Trump to write a few checks to Liberty University and get those numbers up
Remarkably poor showing in a strong economy. Trump really does break all the rules.

Trump has only himself to blame. He has educated the general public, about himself, and the public responds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Wow, a -22%. Imagine what these polls would look like if taken after the Buzzfeed story on his direction that Cohen to lie to Congress...

It might be time for Trump to write a few checks to Liberty University and get those numbers up
Indeed.

Interestingly Trump is doing much better on FiveThirtyEight, the poll aggregator. The spread is only a mere -15.3 % today

... so I think that Trump should relax a bit, just be Trump and carry on as only he can.

Seriously though, Trump has been losing ground in the last few days, the trend is in the wrong direction for him. What is that phrase? ... open mouth - insert foot.
Attached Thumbnails
TRUMP'S APPROVAL Ratings (merged)-approval-01.15.019.png   TRUMP'S APPROVAL Ratings (merged)-approval-1.18.019.png  

Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Pew Poll on Trump Approval released 1/18/19

Approve: 37%
Disapprove: 59%

Trump Begins Third Year With Low Job Approval and Doubts About His Honesty | Pew Research Center
"Doubts about his honesty?"

Who has doubts?

Old 01-18-2019, 11:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Wow, he is really tanking......538 is changing almost every few hours! Now, as people digest......

1. Possibility of him telling Cohen to LIE to Congress
2. Putting Melania on a plane to Florida yet telling house members they can't go on fact finding and troop visits
3. His already obvious caving to certain segments of the workers.....

I mean, he lost. It was a bad political calculation. Cut your losses, Donnie! The problem is, he has never done so in the past. The reason he lost every penny he had and more is that he never knew when to stop. He could have stayed big in Atlantic City and not built the Taj (which broke him). But he didn't.

It's a basic lack of intelligence. Most of use learn from our mistakes....doubling down on them is the opposite of what intelligence is defined as.

"Intelligence includes the ability to benefit from past experience"

Old 01-18-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Indeed.

Interestingly Trump is doing much better on FiveThirtyEight, the poll aggregator. The spread is only a mere -15.3 % today

... so I think that Trump should relax a bit, just be Trump and carry on as only he can.

Seriously though, Trump has been losing ground in the last few days, the trend is in the wrong direction for him. What is that phrase? ... open mouth - insert foot.
It's been a full year since he had a spread that large. I can't quite remember what happened approx a year ago to make things that bad since the stock market was doing well.

But if anyone can mess up a good thing, it's Donnie.

End of 2017
Flynn Pleads Guilty
A few Months after Charlottesville.
Hurricane responses (or lack of)....

My take is that there is a delayed reaction to many of these events - polls can get worse weeks or even months after the events occur. For example, it will be weeks before Americans know about the new Cohen thing. But those who know already will start to move the polls.

Also, things leveled out in 2018 because the good stock market and tax cuts bought off a lot of Americans and your position tended to harden...whatever "side" it was on. So it became harder to move the needle in 2018.......but now it is moving.

All in this, this proves Trump can mess anything up. If he was 1/2 way reasonable he'd be 50/50 or so. One of his most rabid followers just became Gov. of Florida and is getting a surge in popularity because he said climate change is real and declared an emergency and "war" on our environmental degradation down here. People are cheering...of course, his record is ANYTHING but environmental, but it's all looked at compared to Rick Scott, the former guy who made things many times worse.

So Trump could be popular. He could do good things. But he won't. It's not possible for an old dog to learn new tricks. Being petty, grabbing women and making 8th grade nicknames is his trade and he will ply it until he meets his maker.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotherequickasicould View Post
"doubts about his honesty?"

who has doubts?
LOL!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GotHereQuickAsICould again.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
LOL!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GotHereQuickAsICould again.
So, speaking of reputation - I wonder how it works numerically (I like numbers and charts)....

So, my posts are read almost 3M times and I have 9169 rep.....

Clara has the same number of reads, but over double the rep.

But 54ford and phma have almost 3 times the reads, yet a smaller rep.......

It's probably somewhat accurate I'd say. Dang, I think I have to be nicer to catch up to Clara!

Old 01-18-2019, 07:35 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Trending downwards is what is important. The spread mumbo jumbo. EVERY poll shows his approval declining.

So bicker over spreads, etc...but his approval is going down right now.

He is losing this battle.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:13 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,297,448 times
Here’s a summation of poll trends in a note by attorney,professor and New York political operative Bruce Gyory in a note to Bill Kristol.

Quote:
The slippage we anticipated for Trump’s standing in terms of public opinion from the shutdown is coming to pass.

The slippage is the worst kind—the slow erosion of support from key blocs: swing voters (independents and suburbanites) and those who put Trump over the top (blue collar white men and Republicans over 60).

It’s been registering in a cross section of polling data, not just one poll. Trump’s job approval rating is down to 31 percent among independents in Gallup. His approval ratings in Rasmussen are down from the 48-49 percent range of late last year to the 43-44 percent level of the past week or so. The Marist data for PBS shows a drop of 10 percent in job approval among Republicans and a decline of 11 percent among white evangelicals and 17% among suburban men.

And Trump continues to enrage the Dem base while this erosion in his base continues to progress. Blue collar white men being turned off from Trump shouldn’t surprise anyone, for they know the difficulty of living paycheck to paycheck. This, plus the skew of the tax cut package, spells political trouble for Trump long term, especially if a slow down, much less a recession, looms in 2020.

As an aside, it’s fair to ask why hasn’t this decline in the polls registered more with pundits and pols. I wonder if it’s because Gallup is not doing daily tracking polls anymore? In any case, Trump’s decline in the polls is significant precisely because slow declines are like weight gain. The quick gain of 5 pounds on a vacation can be easily shed. The slower gain of 10 pounds over a long winter can be brutal to reverse. As can the slow and steady erosion of your political standing.
https://thebulwark.com/trumps-slippa...pport-is-real/

Old 01-20-2019, 08:25 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
At this rate, trump won’t run for a second term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies