Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 06:49 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Thank you, that is very well-stated.

I would also add that I find it troubling that so many people are viewing these political affiliations solely through the lens of race. My stepdad is a 73-year-old white male born in Germany (which I guess would technically make me one of the famed adopted black kids), and he would describe himself as being a conservative Christian. He views the world through the lens of Christians, and potential Christian converts. Race doesn't even factor into the equation in his mind. He has worked with street thugs in the tristate area and got them to go to church. Most of them just needed a mentor/father figure.
I'm not American, but I follow American politics and race is factored into their political discourse more often than what I'm used to. The terms "the White vote", "the Hispanic vote" and "the Black vote" aren't used in my country.

The same can be said about religion (e.g. "the Evangelical vote", "the Mormon vote"). We're not fussed about those things.

From what I've gathered, political discourse in other Western countries is less focussed on race and religion.

Quote:
I don't know why the assumption that if someone is a liberal it's because they "hate white men" or 'hate their daddies.' Wtf? Maybe race isn't even the reason why they're a liberal. Maybe their dad is a liberal, too.
I don't understand either.

It's pointless to conclude why people lean either left or right without hearing them out first. Everyone has their individual reasons, which is the point I made in my previous post. It's best not to make assumptions or generalisations.

To be fair though, some liberals have questioned or made assumptions about minorities who vote for conservatives. Both sides are guilty attempting to box people in.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 04-04-2016 at 06:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 06:59 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,866 times
Quote:
Thank you, that is very well-stated.

I would also add that I find it troubling that so many people are viewing these political affiliations solely through the lens of race. My stepdad is a 73-year-old white male born in Germany (which I guess would technically make me one of the famed adopted black kids), and he would describe himself as being a conservative Christian. He views the world through the lens of Christians, and potential Christian converts. Race doesn't even factor into the equation in his mind. He has worked with street thugs in the tristate area and got them to go to church. Most of them just needed a mentor/father figure.
I'm not American, but I follow American politics and race is factored into their political discourse more often than what I'm used to. The terms "the White vote", "the Hispanic vote" and "the Black vote" aren't used in my country.

From what I've gathered, political discourse in other Western countries is less focussed on race.

Quote:
I don't know why the assumption that if someone is a liberal it's because they "hate white men" or 'hate their daddies.' Wtf? Maybe race isn't even the reason why they're a liberal. Maybe their dad is a liberal, too.
I don't understand either.

It's pointless to conclude why people lean either left or right without hearing them out first. Everyone has their individual reasons, which is the point I made in my previous post. I think it's best not to make assumptions or generalisations.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:11 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
It's hypocritical for right-wingers to constantly preach family values when they're always getting divorced. They get divorced more than their liberal atheist counterparts.
Progressives love to use labels to TRY to establish different types of superiority.

See my post, #250 on the thread and also a reply to you. It illustrates the incompleteness of the argument in your link.

BTW, I'm not a family values preaching right-winger. I'm a fiscally conservative Agnostic who couldn't care less what type of sexual relationship adults want to have (should be up to the parties themselves), couldn't care less what type of marriage people want to have (should be up to the parties themselves), and thinks that a woman's decisions about her body are hers alone.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Lightbulb Why would any white male adult be a liberal?

Short answer:

Because not all white males are dummies.

Some realize that elections really aren't about god, guns, and gays.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
They are, though, if he drives a Prius and doesn't have any children, which is the single most environmentally-destructive thing a person can do.

It's all a matter of perspective. You don't know what his carbon footprint is, it could be lower than yours, so why critique him for wastefulness?
Yes, it is a matter of perspective.....and you don't want to admit that one of your heroes is a hypocrite. You THINK that the carbon footprint of another human being MIGHT be why DiCaprio has decided thus far not to have children, but do you KNOW that?...If so, link please.

Deciding whether or not to have children has nothing to do with my example of his hypocrisy. If he is preaching to people what they should do (which he is) then all of his actions in that realm should be consistent. They aren't. They would be more in line if he flew commercial.

Also, does he only have one Prius, or does he have other cars? Does he have more than one home? What is the size of his primary residence? These are all additional unknowns that could amplify his hypocrisy.

I'm not throwing stones from a glass house. It's pretty much impossible that DiCaprio has a smaller carbon footprint than I do. I've never had any children. I have one car that is smaller than a Prius and gets about 80% of the MPG that a Prius does (I can afford a big gas guzzler). I purposely bought a much smaller house than I can afford (and no more than I need) because I didn't want to be responsible for more trees being cut down. I don't have a jet or other aircraft...nor any other contraption with a motor, other than a lawn mower (and if It was possible to remove my lawn, I would). HOWEVER, my level of low carbon footprint is MY decision that I made on my own. I think that this realization is something that an individual should come to on his or her own, WITHOUT outside influence. As long as an individual is following the law, it isn't the business of others (except spouse/partner, and children) or the proverbial 'jack booted thugs of government' what anyone is consuming/buying.

Last edited by RMESMH; 04-04-2016 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: corrected 1 keystroke typo

Old 04-04-2016, 07:58 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yes, it is a matter of perspective.....and you don't want to admit that one of your heroes is a hypocrite. You THINK that the carbon footprint of another human being MIGHT be why DiCaprio has decided thus far not to have children, but do you KNOW that?...If so, link please.

Deciding whether or not to have children has nothing to do with my example of his hypocrisy. If he is preaching to people what they should do (which he is) then all of his actions in that realm should be consistent. They aren't. They would be more in line if he flew commercial.

Also, does he only have one Prius, or does he have other cars? Does he have more than one home? What is the size of his primary residence? These are all additional unknowns that could amplify his hypocrisy.

I'm not throwing stones from a glass house. It's pretty much impossible that DiCaprio has a smaller carbon footprint than I do. I've never had any children. I have one car that is smaller than a Prius and gets about 80% of the MPG that a Prius does (I can afford a big gas guzzler). I purposely bought a much smaller house than I can afford (and no more than I need) because I didn't want to be responsible for more trees being cut down. HOWEVER, my level of low carbon footprint is MY decision that I made on my own. I think that this realization is something that an individual should come to on his or her own, WITHOUT outside influence. As long as an individual is following the law, is isn't the business of others (except spouse/partner, and children) or the proverbial 'jack booted thugs of government' what anyone is consuming/buying.

I honestly think DiCaprio and his ilk think that the climate advocacy they do offsets the carbon they burn
That they are doing more good by preaching the climate gospel to as many people who will listen by the use of their celebrity status. I happen to think that is complete arrogance and hubris though and he would have a bigger impact if he walked the walk more like Ed Begley Jr has been doing for years.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Short answer:

Gee, let's trot out a stereotype .

Plenty of white males who AREN'T liberals couldn't care less about god, don't see gays as different from anyone else, but still revere the second amendment.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I honestly think DiCaprio and his ilk think that the climate advocacy they do offsets the carbon they burn
That they are doing more good by preaching the climate gospel to as many people who will listen by the use of their celebrity status. I happen to think that is complete arrogance and hubris though and he would have a bigger impact if he walked the walk more like Ed Begley Jr has been doing for years.
Exactly.

And if DiCaprio decided to purchase carbon offsets.....might assuage his guilt, but it wouldn't make him any less a hypocrite.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:16 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Short answer:

No, elections are about maintaining the democratic base with a perpetual welfare class that gets promised free stuff every election cycle so long as they vote democrat.

They are about playing the race card and creating divisions instead of empowering minorities.

They are about pandering to illegal immigrants and spitting in the faces of all those in the past and present who have waited in line, played by the rules and came here legally.

They are about political correctness replacing common sense and creating an environment where everyone is supposed to walk on eggshells to not offend the perpetually offended.

They are about liberal run universities being co-opted by social justice warriors who demand safe spaces and freak out if someone writes the name of a presidential candidate they don't like in chalk.

They are about opening the door wide open to muslim immigrants who can't be properly vetted, even after seeing what is happening currently in Europe with their very liberal immigration polices.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:42 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Gee, let's trot out a stereotype .
If the shoe fits...

You can complete the thought.

Quote:
Plenty of white males who AREN'T liberals couldn't care less about god, don't see gays as different from anyone else, but still revere the second amendment.
Plenty is still less than a majority.

A Deep Dive Into Party Affiliation | Pew Research Center

BTW, I'm a white male. And a senior citizen. I was a Republican for a long time. The bogus invasion of Iraq woke me up, though. Now I vote against Republicans and will continue to do so until they separate themselves from the angry ignorant religious right.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies