Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 01:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

Because politicians have proven themselves to be untrustworthy. Over and over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 02:05 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Because politicians have proven themselves to be untrustworthy. Over and over again.
Very true. And IMO they're just a reflection of the people who keep electing them.

IOW the only real difference between us and them is that they have the opportunity to engage in wholesale corruption. Most Americans would do the same given the opportunity.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:13 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Very true. And IMO they're just a reflection of the people who keep electing them.

IOW the only real difference between us and them is that they have the opportunity to engage in wholesale corruption. Most Americans would do the same given the opportunity.
I couldn't disagree more strongly. I know it would shock some but there are actually people who enjoy being able to look in the mirror in the morning and not feel bad about what they see.

I've played golf with those who have the peculiar ability to take 8 strokes on a hole, write down 5, and actually believe it. I still don't understand how one manages to lie to themselves and actually believe that lie but it seems many politicians have that ability.

The old saying is true, character is what you do when no one's looking.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:19 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've played golf with those who have the peculiar ability to take 8 strokes on a hole, write down 5, and actually believe it. I still don't understand how one manages to lie to themselves and actually believe that lie but it seems many politicians have that ability.
America today is a lot like a golf game with those folks you describe. The thing is, they aren't even pretending to keep score anymore. They know the game is as good as in their back pockets. Because "we the people" do not stand up for ourselves any longer. And we certainly don't behave as a unified people with any common objective.

Government has domesticated the people, and they don't seem to mind.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:20 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post

You may be like that, but I believe most Americans are honest, hard working people who would not engage in corrupt activities.

Otherwise, they'd go into politics or crime.

That's redundant, isn't it?

Old 04-06-2016, 02:24 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Burdell - Psychologist have determined that memories created by an internal fantasy are just as strong and permanent as the actual experiences. Apparently there is a physical reason for self delusion. So the 8 stroke golfer will write down 5 and then be able to brag about making par. He simply counts on his fellow golfers backing up his delusions. Most do.

Do you know the difference between a Fairy Tale and a War Story? The Fairy Tale starts with "Once upon a time..." and the War Story with "No **** this really happened...." Either should be taken with a grain of skepticism.

The political variant is "Vote for me and I will save you." Preachers use a variant on the same theme.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:24 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
There are a lot of reasons (fed bureaucrats and politicians) including:

1) The way they spend our tax dollars.

2) They don't enforce the law.

3) We give them low approval ratings and they treat it like it's a joke.

4) Inefficiency and ineffectiveness.

5) Overreach. They stick their nose into things for which they have no business.

6) Corrupt.

7) Unethical.

8) They all get "mysteriously rich" while in office.

9) A lot of them are lawyers and lying and obfuscation comes natural to them.

10) The politicians are meat puppets who do what their big donors tell them to do.

11) Racist - The Congressional Black Caucus.

12) The news media is just as corrupt as they are and give them cover.

This is not to say they weren't just as bad in the past, it's just the tools we have now allow us to all be aware of what's going on.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:25 PM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Lots of reasons.

One being the politicians who tell us every day that government does not work.

Then they underfund it so it does not work.

Congress is supposed to do oversight of everything they fund. They are so busy chasing election donations nobody is minding the store.

There was a time when a bill was being formed the discussion included the pros and cons. Not any more. All we get so propaganda.

Couple that with one side not seeing any reason to compromise and this is what we get.

Not so sure if the government doesn't work or democracy that is purchased does not work. In the early days only property owning men could vote. They still control us to the point that IMO, it is looking like free enterprise does not work either.

My problem with the government started when I was a child in school. When we said Pledge Of Alligiance I believed it was true. By Middle school I knew it was fantasy.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:27 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
America today is a lot like a golf game with those folks you describe. The thing is, they aren't even pretending to keep score anymore. They know the game is as good as in their back pockets. Because "we the people" do not stand up for ourselves any longer. And we certainly don't behave as a unified people with any common objective.

Government has domesticated the people, and they don't seem to mind.
I'm just not a believer that 'everyone' would do certain things, especially things like lie, cheat, and steal if given the chance. I've know people who'd rather cheat you out of $0.10 than make an honest $1.00 off you, it's just not the way I was raised and I'm too old to change now so politics is out. I'd guess one of the most common objectives amongst the 'common' people is getting the government to just leave them be.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:48 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Unfortunately there aren't enough people untrusting of govt., as evidenced by the throngs voting for the same tired crooks spouting the same lies while spouting their favorite teams plattforms.
I always chuckle when a certain subset whom continually bashes private business business ownership, corporate officers, employers etc., turns around and trusts politicians and with their litany of laws to police them. As if getting a govt job or winning elected office somehow transfers a person into trustworthiness lol
At least in the realm of private you can withhold money from those whom you disapprove, with public office you have no such choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies