Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 02:53 PM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times

Advertisements

It appears at my house a good deal of time is being spent protecting ourselves from the government.
We think the EPA and the FDA are protecting the air and water, but today is an ozone day, so no going outside.

Time was there was an inspector in every poultry and meat processing plant. Now, we pretty much are vegetarians. Til the pig poop run off into the spinach fields gives all us salad eaters E. coli infection.

it is great that the young folks get low interest mortgages. But the seniors are subsidizing it with the no interest rate the last few years.

Looks like we are trading getting no interest for them paying our social security. We are getting the best end of that deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 03:06 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Why have so many American's started distrusting thier government?
Short answer:

They've been told to.

2+ decades of hate radio jocks spewing their baloney has turned millions of easily-led Americans to hate their neighbors.

Good reading here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-...thoritarianism

Not an opinion piece from a political publication, but info on actual social science research done over quite a few years with many subjects and plenty of peer review.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:08 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
Quote:

Growing up in these United States, Wyoming specifically, which is a pretty conservative state, as I recall everyone was proud to be American, Proud and respectful of our government; I don't recall hearing many people ranting about how much they distrusted the government, the way I do now.

What happened? What brought on this change? These days it seems like large numbers of American citizens do not trust our government and the numbers of people who feel that way seem to be growing more and more each year.

I do remember that I began to distrust our government in the 60's when they tried to draft me into the war in Viet Nam. I managed to avoid that, but since then I don't recall having many reasons to to distrust it or think that that it was out to get me or harm me in some way. But I recognize that many other people are very distrusting and that numerous conspiracy theories have sprung up. I'm curious to hear what other people have to say on what caused this change to come about.
Vietnam started it.
Reagan ran on the government isn't your friend.
The Republicans have made it their mantra for the last 50 years.
People eventually believe the propaganda.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:35 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I couldn't disagree more strongly. I know it would shock some but there are actually people who enjoy being able to look in the mirror in the morning and not feel bad about what they see.

I've played golf with those who have the peculiar ability to take 8 strokes on a hole, write down 5, and actually believe it. I still don't understand how one manages to lie to themselves and actually believe that lie but it seems many politicians have that ability.

The old saying is true, character is what you do when no one's looking.
When I said "most Americans", I didn't imply that honest people don't exist. I only implied that they're in the minority in America (and probably most places IMO).

Fact is that we're an authoritarian, punishment-obsessed culture. We don't value critical thinking, and we'd rather punish than solve problems.

It's a wonder we haven't elected worse than the latest clowns.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:36 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Short answer:

They've been told to.

2+ decades of hate radio jocks spewing their baloney has turned millions of easily-led Americans to hate their neighbors.

Good reading here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-...thoritarianism

Not an opinion piece from a political publication, but info on actual social science research done over quite a few years with many subjects and plenty of peer review.
Yep, that's a good point.

My parents generation is far and away more hateful than my grandparents' generation was. Fox News and Hate Radio are the biggest difference.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:47 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
When I said "most Americans", I didn't imply that honest people don't exist. I only implied that they're in the minority in America (and probably most places IMO).

Fact is that we're an authoritarian, punishment-obsessed culture. We don't value critical thinking, and we'd rather punish than solve problems.

It's a wonder we haven't elected worse than the latest clowns.
Agreed.

But I think most people are this way because in the throes of their despair with the statist paradigm they believe that the answer is to try to obtain the untouchable status a high-ranking politician or Goldman Sachs CEO has attained.

They believe they can get there even though odds are they'll never sniff it. And they don't see the suffering the paradigm rains down upon the masses, including themselves, because they've bought the D vs. R, Lib vs. Con, White vs. Black, etc distraction created/perpetrated by their masters.

It's "the other side's fault".

Old 04-06-2016, 03:59 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,213,097 times
Quote:
What happened? What brought on this change?
I can't speak for everybody, but I know what did it for me.

I received my accounting degree and became a governmental tax auditor (no longer doing it though). I remember my team leader and section head pushing through subpoenas for bank statements without a shred of evidence that there was any wrong doing on the part of taxpayers. This also went for sales and expense invoices from third parties. This was done BEFORE request for audit forms were completed (in order words, no open case on the taxpayer). The proper way, during our training, is that an auditor has to 1. submit a request to audit or 2. receive the case into their queue automatically. The exceptions were special industry audits (which wouldn't involve individuals typically anyway so it's not as bad). The subpoenas bypassed all that. Audit a person without opening an audit.

But the public is dumb. Yay, we have the constitution. All is well. Edward Snowden is a traitor. Idiots. Lol.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:02 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I can't speak for everybody, but I know what did it for me.

I received my accounting degree and became a governmental tax auditor (no longer doing it though). I remember my team leader and section head pushing through subpoenas for bank statements without a shred of evidence that there was any wrong doing on the part of taxpayers. This also went for sales and expense invoices from third parties. This was done BEFORE request for audit forms were completed (in order words, no open case on the taxpayer). The proper way, during our training, is that an auditor has to 1. submit a request to audit or 2. receive the case into their queue automatically. The exceptions were special industry audits (which wouldn't involve individuals typically anyway so it's not as bad). The subpoenas bypassed all that. Audit a person without opening an audit.
I heard about this before from a business associate who had the same job.

I shouldn't mention that cuz I'll be captured and tortured to name names.

You my friend only need to worry about a drone strike.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:03 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:

Growing up in these United States, Wyoming specifically, which is a pretty conservative state, as I recall everyone was proud to be American, Proud and respectful of our government; I don't recall hearing many people ranting about how much they distrusted the government, the way I do now.

What happened? What brought on this change? These days it seems like large numbers of American citizens do not trust our government and the numbers of people who feel that way seem to be growing more and more each year.

I do remember that I began to distrust our government in the 60's when they tried to draft me into the war in Viet Nam. I managed to avoid that, but since then I don't recall having many reasons to to distrust it or think that that it was out to get me or harm me in some way. But I recognize that many other people are very distrusting and that numerous conspiracy theories have sprung up. I'm curious to hear what other people have to say on what caused this change to come about.

I think it's part of American culture to distrust the government. Our culture has never been to just follow along blindly.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:04 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,213,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I shouldn't mention that cuz I'll be captured and tortured to name names.

You my friend only need to worry about a drone strike.
Lol. Time to find a bunker!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies