Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 12:28 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I think this shows though that the fear of gang members is at least somewhat greater than the fear of police.
So?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 04:22 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
No one wants to talk about the fact that most black people locked up under Clinton had more to do with the drug laws, than anti-violence laws? I mean no one? Clinton honestly just blantantly got on stage and told a bold face lie. It's funny he talked about how he stopped the violence, but the only part of the bill that had to do with violence was giving more fines for people who owned certain assault rifles. But people forget, gang bangers don't purchase guns legally. And gun possession laws only ever lock up a few black people. Drug possession laws are the cause of the high incarceration rates.
Many of the times they're teh same people. Let's face it. Many ghetto youths chose not to attend school or if they did to take it seriously. Fine.

So they have no other way to earn a living than criminal activity, including drug sales. Drug sales are illegal so require violence to sustain them. And that doesn't end well when they decide to push back at the police.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:04 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Why are police shootings routinely caught on video and gang shootings rarely are despite the latter being more frequent and having more witnesses? That's not rhetorical. What is the reason for this?
"I din do nuffin; I don't know nuffin."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Eric Garner wasn't breaking the law. Stop pushing that false narrative.
Wrong.

He was trespassing, for starters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
EVERYONE can do that and I have no problem with that. That you have to go here says you really have no argument.
No, it says that YOU have no argument since you're now admitting that I was right.

Quote:
He would have had his charges dismissed and likely won a big settlement.
Wrong.

He broke the law.

There were many witnesses to his blatant law-breaking, including the business owners who called the police.

As usual, you just make stuff up.

Quote:
They had no reason to ask to frisk him
The police frisk everyone they arrest, and for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
.....Let's face it. Many ghetto youths chose not to attend school or if they did to take it seriously.....So they have no other way to earn a living than criminal activity, including drug sales. Drug sales are illegal so require violence to sustain them. And that doesn't end well when they decide to push back at the police.
Exactly.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
No, it says that YOU have no argument since you're now admitting that I was right.
16 shots into someone laying on the ground is not self defense. Shooting someone in the back as they run away is not self defense. Shooting 137 into a car to kill unarmed individuals is not self defense.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:19 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
Quote:
Total crock. It is stated that the rate is 65%. That means the majority are caught. Many are also caught without getting counted. That is, the authorities know that so and so was responsible for another murder but only being able to prove another beyond a shadow of a doubt, they only get charged with one.
The conviction rate is nowhere close to 65%. Clearance rate alone is under 65%. (And clearance rate counts arrests before charges, not after charges, so the scenario about "only getting charged with one" does not apply.)

That means you have better than a 1 in 3 chance of never being caught at all!

The FBI shows the clearance rate for murder to be under 65%, and the conviction rate hovering under 30%.
That means that the actual number of cases resulting in conviction is well less than 20%.

(Check out the Crime in the US reports by the FBI for the numbers.)
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s

Old 04-17-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
65% for what?
Because the FBI shows the clearance rate for murder to be under 65%, and the conviction rate hovering under 30%.
That means that the actual number of cases resulting in conviction is well less than 20%.

(Check out the Crime in the US reports by the FBI for the numbers.)
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s
I can only chuckle when someone posts a link and says "here go find it. It might not actually be there but have at it".

I'm sure you are capable of cutting and pasting the info if you read it.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:29 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
Quote:
I can only chuckle when someone posts a link and says "here go find it. It might not actually be there but have at it".

I'm sure you are capable of cutting and pasting the info if you read it.
You didn't notice that you cannot cannot deep link there?

Tables 25 and 29 in any year other than 2015 (which only has preliminary dat).
The most critical stat is the 60.9% clearance rate on homicides for large (group I) cities and overall 64.5% clearance rate for homicides (2014 table 25).
This is probably the clearest study to show that in large urban counties, only 18% of murder defendants are eventually convicted at trial. (Another 51% plead down to a lesser charge.) 28% are never convicted of any charge.
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fdluc09.pdf
Table 21
Out of 374 murder arrests in the study, only 117 (31.3%) resulted in sentencing.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:36 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Many of the times they're teh same people. Let's face it. Many ghetto youths chose not to attend school or if they did to take it seriously. Fine.

So they have no other way to earn a living than criminal activity, including drug sales. Drug sales are illegal so require violence to sustain them. And that doesn't end well when they decide to push back at the police.

Drug sells don't always lead to violence. That's a misconception. And shouldn't round up people and say you "stopped the violence", when the reality is that you locked people up for something other than violence. "Potential for violence" isn't the same as actual violence. We have white kids selling drugs on every college campus in the country, yet this doesn't lead to violence. It probably has more to do with class warfare than anything. Which just reinforce that the democrat party has always been an elitist party.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:40 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Drug sells don't always lead to violence. That's a misconception. And shouldn't round up people and say you "stopped the violence", when the reality is that you locked people up for something other than violence. "Potential for violence" isn't the same as actual violence. We have white kids selling drugs on every college campus in the country, yet this doesn't lead to violence. It probably has more to do with class warfare than anything. Which just reinforce that the democrat party has always been an elitist party.
I suspect that white drug sales also result in violence. When I was at college I heardd some spine-tingling stories about what happened when someone didn't have the money to pay.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
You didn't notice that you cannot cannot deep link there?

Tables 25 and 29 in any year other than 2015 (which only has preliminary dat).
The most critical stat is the 60.9% clearance rate on homicides for large (group I) cities and overall 64.5%clearance rate for homicides (2014 table 25).
This is probably the clearest study to show that in large urban counties, only 18% of murder defendants are eventually convicted at trial. (Another 51% plead down to a lesser charge.) 28% are never convicted of any charge.
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fdluc09.pdf
Table 21
Out of 374 murder arrests in the study, only 117 (31.3%) resulted in sentencing.
So it says what I had already said.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies