Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 10:25 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
We all want a perfect world that doesn't exists. Everyone wants to be treated fair and should want the same for their fellow human.

There is nothing wrong with people disliking bad treatment by police officers. There is something wrong with hate and not having compassion.

People are stuck on this black white liberal conservative and we fail to realize that we are all human and want to be treated right. The powers that be want us to be at each other and we are falling for it.
Agreed. False dichotomies abound. Sometimes I think it makes sense to 'Remember your humanity, & forget the rest'.

https://pugwash.org/1955/07/09/statement-manifesto/

It also makes sense to listen to what protesters are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 11:59 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No more legitimate than saying the ACLU should concentrate more on abandoned pets.
It was your analogy. Breast cancer groups _should_ and _have_ been criticized for focusing on their narrow focus. They are criticized because their narrow focus has led to destabilization of cancer research and awareness efforts and have damaged the overall goal of preventing and curing cancer.
Has the ACLU's focus away from abandoned pets destabilized civil rights and damaged their overall goal of preserving civil rights? (I think some animal rights groups would actually say yes on that question, incidentally.)
Has a failure to address inter-community and intra-neighborhood violence destabilized and damaged BLM's overall goal of preserving life of all races? Considering that St Louis and Baltimore already had upswings in violence that took off dramatically following the major BLM protests there, it is quite possibly that BLM has compromised their overall goals by focusing in other areas. Just consider that increasing the minimum wage has now become the primary issue for BLM, even larger than police brutality.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Which is actually turns out to be a legitimate idea and criticism with the infighting that has occurred between different cancer awareness and research support groups, particular the way some breast cancer groups have not only deliberate undermined groups focusing on other cancers, but even other groups focusing on breast cancer. It became, "our way is the right way" instead of a comprehensive focus on defeating cancer overall. See: pinkwashing, the trademarking of "... for the Cure", research lobbying, high internal support costs and other controversies that have plagued breast cancer foundations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
It was your analogy. Breast cancer groups _should_ and _have_ been criticized for focusing on their narrow focus. They are criticized because their narrow focus has led to destabilization of cancer research and awareness efforts and have damaged the overall goal of preventing and curing cancer.
Has the ACLU's focus away from abandoned pets destabilized civil rights and damaged their overall goal of preserving civil rights? (I think some animal rights groups would actually say yes on that question, incidentally.)
Has a failure to address inter-community and intra-neighborhood violence destabilized and damaged BLM's overall goal of preserving life of all races? Considering that St Louis and Baltimore already had upswings in violence that took off dramatically following the major BLM protests there, it is quite possibly that BLM has compromised their overall goals by focusing in other areas. Just consider that increasing the minimum wage has now become the primary issue for BLM, even larger than police brutality.
There is a difference between giving someone criticism by saying that there efforts would be more effective by focusing on the larger issues that would effect more people( what you are saying) Vs Believing that the group already claim to focus on that, and claim they are cherry picking cases.

the latter is what most people on this forum seem to claim, and blame BLM for not "doing the job they claim they are here to do"

Old 04-10-2016, 03:02 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There is a difference between giving someone criticism by saying that there efforts would be more effective by focusing on the larger issues that would effect more people( what you are saying) Vs Believing that the group already claim to focus on that, and claim they are cherry picking cases.

the latter is what most people on this forum seem to claim, and blame BLM for not "doing the job they claim they are here to do"
Actually, most of them are blaming them over the fact that B on B crime is a bigger problem.

They're two separate issues IMO.

People like me on the other hand are blaming them because they absolutely don't do the job they claim they are there to do which is centered on police reforms. They're too politically compromised to take on major metro police unions or the mayors with any real conviction.

So, like I said before....they're politically useful for now calling Republicans racist and so forth but after the presidential election *boot* to the back of the bus, if not under the wheels like Cindy Sheehan.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:16 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I think you know what the term lazy means. I agree people need to take responsibility for their actions including thug police officers. How do you know that MLK would be discusted by BLM? He made it clear what he stood for and they are in line with the objectives of the BLM movement. Any sane person is not going to uphold wrong doing of the Black community, White community or any other community. I know I dont and neither should you. Who's blaming the past? There is clearly a pattern of white officers hired to police the Black community who shouldn't be there. This has gone on in the past and is happening now. BLM is putting a stop to it from happening in the future.

I don't believe the protesters should be disrupting Clinton political rally because the issue has already been addressed. All the candidates has told us what they are about and its left up to us to vote. They need to be digging into the legislative process and making sure we have decent candidates to enter into politics over the next 4 to 8 years.

This is not an attempt to bash you personally. I do think people need to dig in a little deeper to form opinions on things outside their bubble.

BTW I hate MSNBC. They are a liberal piece of garbage station just like Fox is trash as well.
I agree with you strongly on this point. To really be effective the people in BLM need to be engaging the political process as opposed to disrupting it. I also agree that no sane person should condone the wrongful acts of any community, regardless of who it is.

MSNBC is terrible and so is FOX. CNN is only marginally better in my opinion.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Actually, most of them are blaming them over the fact that B on B crime is a bigger problem.

They're two separate issues IMO.

People like me on the other hand are blaming them because they absolutely don't do the job they claim they are there to do which is centered on police reforms. They're too politically compromised to take on major metro police unions or the mayors with any real conviction.

So, like I said before....they're politically useful for now calling Republicans racist and so forth but after the presidential election *boot* to the back of the bus, if not under the wheels like Cindy Sheehan.
They have hammered Emanuel. His approval ratings have plummeted and they have went as far as protested at his house. The Chief of Police lost his job over their protests.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:50 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Black Lives Matter wasn't even protesting police brutality/corruption when everything kicked off. That's why they're effing up the debates and process so bas.

They are a PAID group used by special interest to co-opt the grassroots effort to address the problem started by the youth.

Black Lives Matter's founders should be in jail. For stealing. They're cowards.

I'm tired of people messing up this "Movement." Those 3 women are cowards. Their male leaders are cowards. Their whole network/movement whatever is made up of cowards.

The only reason they're even being addressed is because the media/Dems put them there.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:16 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,439,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Before this thread gets shut down, I have to chime in. Bill Clinton is 100% correct in his statement. Black lives only seem to really matter when a white person kills one of them. Otherwise, it is business as usual in the hood. All of us know it and so do blacks.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I'm lazy? Why is that? Because I think people need to take personal responsibility for their actions and own their situations? MLK would be disgusted by BLM. He would be even more disgusted by the genocide going on in the black community and the fact that they refuse to acknowledge reality and do something about it. You can only blame the past for so long before the past becomes your future.
Well said.

What have blacks been asking for since the time of slavery if not to be treated as full human beings?

Full human beings take responsibility for their own actions.

That isn't taking place in large segments of the black community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Minneapolis cops killed a piece of trash named Jamar Clark a while back. He was absolutely beating the snot out of a woman when they were called. He had a long criminal history, never did anything positive in his life. He tried to grab a gun from the cops and the struggle that ensued ended with him getting shot. But BLM says it was wrongful.

This is why they are insignificant and have no credibility.
Just so.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:39 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Exactly.

Well said.

What have blacks been asking for since the time of slavery if not to be treated as full human beings?

Full human beings take responsibility for their own actions.

That isn't taking place in large segments of the black community.

Just so.
Very racist comment! (You probably dont care either).

Large segments of the Black community? What percentage? I am a member of this Black community that you are writing about so I probably know more about Black people than you do.

There are large segments of the White community who don't take responsibility for their wrong doings. Just look around and you see many Whites getting a pass on things that no one else does.

I don't think I am any better than anyone because of skin color nor do I think I am entitled to say and do things and cry when I get shut down. This is crazy and very much of a racist thought that you had the nerve to write on an anonymous message board that you wouldn't dare say in a room full of Black people.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:01 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,329,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
To really be effective the people in BLM need to be engaging the political process as opposed to disrupting it.
Like any tactic, disruption of political events is one, but it has to serve a strategic goal. Unfortunately I don't see a thoughtful use of tactics. What was accomplished by disrupting Trump rallies? When they disrupted initially disrupted Hillary and Sanders they accomplished face to face meetings with both candidates. They gained access and avenues of communication. They were strategically well served by their tactics.

If on the other hand the objective was to provoke Trump and his supporters into revealing some underlying racism, mission accomplished, did they advance the issue of police brutality, I think not.

I long ago argued that BLM could bring together a broad coalition of disparate groups into the a worthwhile fight to reform the use of force by police, abuses that are the sole province of African Americans without losing emphasis on this issue as it affects African Americans, but that would require a level of sophistication absent in this generations left movements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies