Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think this officer should have been suspended?
Yes 16 24.24%
No 17 25.76%
He should be fired 33 50.00%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:36 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So basically you pass the problem to someone else when push comes to shove and you lose no command of your position for your inability to solve the problem.
Nonsense. I act like an adult, let the person calm down, and then call them back after consulting with my superiors.

That's called acting responsibly and with a modicum of maturity. More than I can say for this man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
heh
Not every kid *has* a driveway, let alone a backyard.
Both cop and kid were in the wrong.
Should the kid have been there? Probably not, and most likely there was a sign.
Should the kid have said "dude" multiple times? No.
The kid was probably a bit freaked out.
And he may have never heard the words "yes sir" in his life, let alone had a notion to use them. He has an Ipod, but no father.
The cop probably has an extremely stressful job, but he blew it big time.
He was the adult and the authority figure and he messed up both those responsibilities.
We all have our bad days, but unfortunately, his was caught on a cellphone.

I agree.

I was actually on the officer's side until he grabbed the kid and put him on the ground. I didn't see the need for that even a little bit.

Kids can be frustrating on every level, but I'm not prepared to have an officer touch my child unless he/she's getting arrested

Old 02-19-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I agree.

I was actually on the officer's side until he grabbed the kid and put him on the ground. I didn't see the need for that even a little bit.

Kids can be frustrating on every level, but I'm not prepared to have an officer touch my child unless he/she's getting arrested
He lacked self control which is not exactly a trait I want someone who carries a badge to have, especially since they have the power to arrest and use deadly force in some cases.

People like this guy are the type of people who beat the hell out of suspects in their custody, like what happened to the woman down in Louisiana.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 AM

36,533 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Maybe I should go back an look, but what I saw was the officer telling the kid to give him the board, the kid refused and clutched the board and the officer forceably taking it from the kid.
Maybe the officer should have said pretty please and when the kid continued to refuse, just wispered an ah shucks and got back in his car and left.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Maybe I should go back an look, but what I saw was the officer telling the kid to give him the board, the kid refused and clutched the board and the officer forceably taking it from the kid.
Maybe the officer should have said pretty please and when the kid continued to refuse, just wispered an ah shucks and got back in his car and left.
It's not about being polite, but the way you present yourself. If an officer is yelling at me I may be reluctant to hand over my property as well.

The officer didn't just snatch the board, he put the kid on the ground and took it. The officer actually was asking the kid for the skateboard as he was taking him down! And then pushed him to the ground again!

And I recall him saying something like 'I'll smack you upside your head!"

Old 02-19-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
The guy starting screaming from the beginning. He then forcibly grabbed the kid and tossed him to the ground. He then continued his outburst.

My point is that it was uncalled for and unprofessional. His actions point to a deeper anger problem because this is not how a normal even tempted person would normally act. Children (especially teenagers) can be frustrated but that is no excuse to act the way he did.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
The guy starting screaming from the beginning. He then forcibly grabbed the kid and tossed him to the ground. He then continued his outburst.
My point is that it was uncalled for and unprofessional. His actions point to a deeper anger problem because this is not how a normal even tempted person would normally act. Children (especially teenagers) can be frustrated but that is no excuse to act the way he did.

And it's strange b/c cops do have to be firm sometimes but I was always taught that they're trained NOT to escalate situations/conflicts if possible. That guy went liquid-hot from start to finish

Old 02-19-2008, 09:23 AM

915 posts, read 3,181,149 times

YouTube - Chris Rock - How not to get your ass kicked by the police!

How not to get ass kick by the Police?

Old 02-19-2008, 09:27 AM

36,533 posts, read 30,871,648 times
I guess I grew up in a different place and time where kids did not disrespect and back talk adults expecially the cops, teachers etc. and where the officers reaction would be justified in such a situation. I am just sick of hearing smart mouth kids sassing adults. My brother is an officer and I recently heard his nearly 15 yr. old call him a fat ******. It was all I could do to keep from slapping the kid. My brother did nothing. I hear kids all the time talking bad to their parents. My 5 yr. old gs was talking to me about punching his mother in the face. I guess it is a hot button for me.
It is easy for us to sit and watch part of the situation and bad mouth the cop, but no one yet has said what THEY would do in this face to face situation.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:30 AM

915 posts, read 3,181,149 times
Quote:
I guess I grew up in a different place and time where kids did not disrespect and back talk adults expecially the cops, teachers etc. and where the officers reaction would be justified in such a situation. I am just sick of hearing smart mouth kids sassing adults. My brother is an officer and I recently heard his nearly 15 yr. old call him a fat ******. It was all I could do to keep from slapping the kid. My brother did nothing. I hear kids all the time talking bad to their parents. My 5 yr. old gs was talking to me about punching his mother in the face. I guess it is a hot button for me.
It is easy for us to sit and watch part of the situation and bad mouth the cop, but no one yet has said what THEY would do in this face to face situation.
totally agreed. This is why our society is so f**cked. Kids acting nuts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies