Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for economy: hire 3 at $10/hr or 2 at $15/hr
3 at $10/hr 32 53.33%
2 at $15/hr 28 46.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 11:03 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
When you force an employer to raise his wages, he will suddenly realize that he doesn't actually "need" X employees, and he will get rid of them.
If it takes a minimum wage increase for an employer to realize they are paying an employee they don't really need they probably should take some economics classes at the local community college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
From your own article:
"In a competitive labor market, an increase in the minimum wage reduces employment and increases unemployment. A minimum wage could increase employment in a monopsony labor market at the same time it increases wages. Some economists argue that the monopsony model characterizes all labor markets and that this justifies a national increase in the minimum wage.
Most economists argue that a nationwide increase in the minimum wage would reduce employment among low-wage workers." Unless you can prove that we are in a monopsony market, I don't see how raising the minimum wage is a good thing.
I've already made my point and backed it up, cherry picking and taking statements out of context does not make for a good argument. Have a good day.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I've already made my point and backed it up, cherry picking and taking statements out of context does not make for a good argument. Have a good day.
Those are the conclusions from your own article. How could a conclusion be taken out of context? How does one cherry pick conclusions?

Old 04-29-2016, 11:15 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
The pizza guy in Seattle found another pizza job, so I think he is doing okay. It is funny how right wingers pretend like jobs won't exist if minimum wage goes up a little bit. Also, why would any employer hire employees they don't need just because minimum wage is low? If one person can sweep the floors, why hire 3 people to sweep?
How do you measure what was never created?

I'd hire someone to sweep floors if min. wage were lower, but since it is what is, I just have to add it to the list of duties of the existing help.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
"In rural counties in some states, Walmart exerts such power over the local labor market that it depresses wages by more than six percent, according to a study conducted by two University of Connecticut economists".
What's "some"?

Walmart has no monopoly or monopsony in our labor market. In some obscure areas or minor cases, maybe. So we should use rarity to prove the norm?

Old 04-29-2016, 11:17 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Makes you wonder how Henry Ford sold more cars by raising wages?
Well you're half right....but let's not forget the other half. Henry Ford found a way to build his cars on an assembly line which took the assembly time from about 12 hours to about 3 hours.

That is what is called an increase in productivity. Increases of productivity is what allows you to raise employee wages because you need less man hours to do the same job. No inflation of car prices results from raising their wages, in fact this actually lowered the price of his cars. This allowed more employees (and others as well) to be able to buy the product they were building.

If you just raise the wage of an employee making 10 dollars an hour to 15, with no commensurate increase of productivity, the price of the product will have to increase if all other things remain equal.

If someone can explain how you can raise wages without a increase productivity and have all other things remain equal, please do :-)

One thing I would predict is the employers will be more selective in hiring since they will be looking for an increase in productivity. If you have previous experience and are a good worker, perhaps you're in luck, if you're looking for your first job, or you really have no skills, you may have more of a struggle getting your foot in the door for that first or second job and gaining some experience which allows you to move forward.

Unfortunately, there is no free lunch here, regardless of how much we wish there were. If there was a free lunch, I'd suggest passing a law making the minimum wage $30.00 per hour. If we can indeed legislate prosperity and higher pay for all currently marginalized income folks....why not really make it a living wage :-)

Last edited by jasper1372; 04-29-2016 at 12:20 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I'd hire someone to sweep floors if min. wage were lower, but since it is what is, I just have to add it to the list of duties of the existing help.
If you had an employee who could have swept floors in addition to his other duties, why would you hire someone to just sweep floors? That simply makes no sense.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How do you measure what was never created?

I used to work in a factory where the starting wage was $12/hour plus benefit. Those guys operated machines that would require at least high school education but they must also sweep floors, sometimes hours to no end. They were basically wasting time on activities that produced little value rather than focus on operating the machines to make more and better products.

Now if the minimum wage was $0, the company could have hire sweepers at $5/hour to clean the floor. Since that's not an option, the sweeping goes to the existing crew regardless of their pay scale.

That's an awfully bad way to run a business and such a waste of talent. A business should always send an employee to do a job that pays more than his/her wage.

Sort of like we shouldn't send a brain surgeon to sweep the floor. The surgeon should be saving life not cleaning.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I do agree in many cases the the customers see the actual price increase the last - it's many businesses' last resort as they would lose customers; however, it doesn't mean that the quality of service or product doesn't change.
I never argued otherwise

Quote:
It's hard to believe someone with a business degree doesn't type with proper punctuation or capitalization. I even try my best and I don't even speak English.

Did the liberal business school forget to teach basic math?
Its not that hard to believe. We are not all perfectionist or nitpickers(like you seem to be). Also, I dont think there is any business school that could ever be classified as "Liberal". Further more, im not understanding the reference to math as I didnt include any numbers but the generalization of wages increasing year to year based on raises and that the cost to the customer doesnt change, did you mean to say grammar ?

Old 04-29-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
If you had an employee who could have swept floors in addition to his other duties, why would you hire someone to just sweep floors? That simply makes no sense.
My Post #68 should answer your question.

That's the fundamental of running a good business. You don't waste your employees' talent on stuff that doesn't produces much value. Those tasks should be done by employees paid at lower wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies