Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for economy: hire 3 at $10/hr or 2 at $15/hr
3 at $10/hr 32 53.33%
2 at $15/hr 28 46.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 01:40 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Because their skills would be better allocated elsewhere. And many times I am the floor sweeper (as owner)
Agreed, but I think within the realm of the discussion, the worker was already being fully utilized and still had the extra time to sweep the floor.

Why then would you hire an extra person to do the job some one else could already do ?

Last edited by dsjj251; 04-29-2016 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 02:08 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
All things tend to not remain the same, kind of my point in the previous post, which you agreed with, so im not really understanding your argument.

That being said, you are wrong, it is not mathematically impossible for prices to stay the same with labor cost going up. Your argument would assume that the cost of labor outweighs profit or cut into profit so much that it would cause changes elsewhere within the business, and that wouldnt always be true. You are arguing absolutism, or better yet, simply the perfect scenario for your argument. That is being argumentative for the heck of it, but this is a political forum, so what can you expect ?
That is correct. When labor cost increases, the business must find ways to mitigate the increase so that it won't be passed on to consumers unless it's the last resort.

So please tell me what are those mitigation and how they are good for the poor.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:18 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I meant math.

It is mathematically impossible for the price of goods not to go up when its labor cost (wage) goes up, assuming all other conditions remain the same.
You have to remember, liberals don't understand math or economics. All they get are their wishes.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:54 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
You do understand that Ford's raising his workers wages was not coerced or forced by any law ... right? It was a radical idea at the time since it was considerably higher than prevailing wages.
Ummm....that's exactly what I was saying.

Not sure how you took it otherwise.

The fact is, just because a wage hike had that effect for Ford at that time does not mean an arbitrary raise in the minimum wage will have the same effect for all companies of every size across the country today.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Better for economy: hire 3 at $10/hr or 2 at $15/hr
Hire one at $20 who has the experience, education, and/or motivation to do the job of the 3@$10/hour or 2@$15/hour.

[work smarter not harder]

Old 04-29-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What do they do when they can't afford to keep the employees they need because of wage increase?
They cut hours, cut benefits and learn how to use automation and other ways to streamline efficiency. Eventually, many businesses learn to do the same amount of work with less employees...and when that happens, those jobs are gone forever.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:11 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
They cut hours, cut benefits and learn how to use automation and other ways to streamline efficiency. Eventually, many businesses learn to do the same amount of work with less employees...and when that happens, those jobs are gone forever.
That happens already, no need to raise minimum wage for these things to happen. You could lower minimum wage to a buck an hour and employers would still cut hours, benefits, and use automation to make more money.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:20 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Minimum wage is currently being debated, but do you think it's good for the economy?

The question is completely off the mark. I don't know any good business person who'd hire 3 persons when all he/she needs are 2.

The right question should be:

Better for economy: hire 2 at $10/hr or 2 at $15/hr
2 at $10/hr
2 at $15/hr

But then the answer would be obvious.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:13 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,269 times
Quote:
Minimum wage is currently being debated, but do you think it's good for the economy?
I'd rather have two great employees at 15 dollars a hour then three so-so ones at 10 dollars.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
That is absolutely not true. In that scenario, assuming that the company isn't just breaking even, you eat the lost margin, more often than not.

I'll keep going back to healthcare -- a labor cost that goes up every year, yet no company passes that through to their customers with lockstep price increases.

The idea that companies just keep passing through all their expenses to customers is a nonsense taking point. It doesn't exist in the real world.
Really?

Then why us the cost of a happy meal double what it was in the 80's?

Why is ice cream $6.75 for a pint and a half now instead of 3.25 for a half gallon?

Why are portions getting smaller while prices go up?

Why was a Mustang GT $3500.00 in 1972 and $35000.00 in 2016?

Anyone who thinks increasing labor costs don't contribute to inflation is just a flat out moron.

And how much more would my salary be worth now if minimum wage was still $2.90/hr that I started at in 1979?

Minimum wage hikes put people on a one step up, two steps back treadmill their whole lives, canceling out the buying power that comes by earning more over time by gaining experience and getting raises and promotions.

Last edited by FatBob96; 04-30-2016 at 06:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies