Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 05:35 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I get that in this day and age it seems pretty weird to work hard and intently on something instead of engaging in random stupid small talk chit-chat with some bubble headed blonde chick, but there was really no weirdness about his behavior because he didn't want to waste work time talking with her.
It's not weird at all. Business travelers work on flights all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 05:35 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,634,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
It wasn't that he was doing math it was the fact he was such a weirdo! The kind of weird that blows himself up!

The guy was a weirdo because... uh... why? Was it the glasses? Why, exactly?

I guess to most conservatives, math really does seem weird. Any science, for that matter. Anything that's too complicated for them to grasp is weird, therefore it must be dangerous. Thanks for the insight into the way so many Americans think these days (if you can call it that.)

Quote:
I don't care how much of a hurry I'm in, I'll gladly wait two hours on the tarmac to get things squared away and safe.
Good for you. But I'm not willing to wait two extra hours just because there's a coward on the plane who's so stupid they think someone doing math on a sheet of paper is an act of terrorism. If you conservatives are that scared of your own shadows, get off the plane and walk.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:46 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
was he in league with al-gebra?
lol!

Old 05-07-2016, 05:52 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Can we please can the conservative and liberal crap? I'm a conservative and I don't really care for this kind of stupidity or knee jerk racism.

Neither do most of my liberal and conservative friends.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:06 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,902,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
He failed to adhere to the social norms of giving off the impression of not killing yourself.

Quote:
I guess to most conservatives, math really does seem weird. Any science, for that matter. Anything that's too complicated for them to grasp is weird, therefore it must be dangerous. Thanks for the insight into the way so many Americans think these days (if you can call it that.)

Why this focus on math? Who cares? Is this Lefty logic? Take the most insignificant aspect of the story and blow it out of proportion when it was really never the point anyway.

Quote:
Good for you. But I'm not willing to wait two extra hours just because there's a coward on the plane who's so stupid they think someone doing math on a sheet of paper is an act of terrorism. If you conservatives are that scared of your own shadows, get off the plane and walk.

Just man up when the itty bitty box cutter comes out, ok? I'll break his jaw and you, maybe throw your Sperry Top-Sider loafer at him

Old 05-07-2016, 06:12 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,051,223 times
Quote:

Do you know most engineers are conservative?
The politics of engineers | News content from Machine Design

Most of those "dumb majors" are liberal.
Just a saying. I do not care whether people are conservative or liberal.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Can we please can the conservative and liberal crap? I'm a conservative and I don't really care for this kind of stupidity or knee jerk racism.

Neither do most of my liberal and conservative friends.
You're right, and I'm sorry for my part in it. I get sick of it too.

But the fact remains that it almost always does seem to be conservatives who hysterically overreact to these silly phantom terrorist fantasies. I know you don't, because you're too smart and mentally healthy for that, and that's probably also true of most (if not all) of your conservative friends. But just about every time someone pipes up with the "I'm scared to death and I don't care what they have to do to make me feel safe" stuff, it is conservatives doing it.

And, I stipulate that on the other side of the coin, it's usually liberals who are too naïve to take actual, credible threats seriously. I don't have any more respect for those airheaded liberals than I do the cowardly lions on the other end of the spectrum. And, I don't have any qualms about lambasting them when the subject comes up.

But in this particular thread, regarding this particular (non-)event, the people who were arguing that there was anything at all the least bit "wrong" or even suspicious about the way this man was acting are leaving themselves wide open not only for criticism but ridicule as well, and unfortunately for people like you they are not representing conservatives very well. It's people like this who consistently make sane conservatives look bad by being lumped in with them.

But, you're right. You deserve better. Your point is good, and the only reason I can't rep you for it is because I've apparently repped you too much lately. But if I could, I would.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Why this focus on math? Who cares? Is this Lefty logic? Take the most insignificant aspect of the story and blow it out of proportion when it was really never the point anyway.
Actually, that's the entire point. The man was doing math on a sheet of paper and it terrified the woman so much she got off the plane and reported him as a possible terrorist.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Do you know most engineers are conservative?
The politics of engineers | News content from Machine Design

Most of those "dumb majors" are liberal.
Just a saying. I do not care whether people are conservative or liberal.
Oh, I agree. Many conservatives are very intelligent, sane, rational people. But the point I was making to Stan4 is that the portion of the American electorate who are consistently so frightened of things that present no terrorist threat whatsoever are usually conservatives - the side of the fence that, not coincidentally, is the most poorly educated demographic block of the electorate. It goes hand in hand. Not all conservatives are poorly educated, of course, and not all conservatives are disproportionately and irrationally afraid of insignificant threats. But - the more frightened you are of terrorism, and the more poorly educated you are, the more likely you are to be a conservative white male.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:39 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,920,547 times
Conservative by definition means sticking to tried and tested and being risk averse. This goes against the grain for most engineering, science and IT concepts. Silicon Valleys thrives on innovation and risk taking. Of course this doesn't mean that conservatives can't be engineers or Scientists... Many are. It just means that science and engineering is dominated by progressives and they are the ones who bring about most of the innovation in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies