Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 06:49 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
I have to accept it legally (in California) for now. If the voters in California overturn the decission, will G's/L's accept the law in California or will they continue to fight for their "rights" in this situation?
When I said "legal standpoint" I meant the legal benefits they get. If something happens to one the other may have issues without the marriage license. Like the story I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,359 times
Let them get married. So they can be just as miserable as everyone else!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:57 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
When I said "legal standpoint" I meant the legal benefits they get. If something happens to one the other may have issues without the marriage license. Like the story I mentioned.
Would the benefits from a civil union produce the same desired outcome?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:58 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Rights are not limited only to those enumerated. The Founders of this country knew that a genius such as yourself would come along and saw fit to specify that the citizenry's rights are not limited to those enumerated. See the 9th Amendment. FindLaw: U.S. Constitution: Ninth Amendment

Also, you seem to have missed my post about voting. Post #1092. Is the right to vote not a right because it has age restrictions and requires registration?
You do make a good point. Thanks for the link. I found this particularly enlightening.

Justice Goldberg, concurring, devoted several pages to the Amendment.

''The language and history of the Ninth Amendment reveal that the Framers of the Constitution believed that there are additional fundamental rights, protected from governmental infringement, which exist alongside those fundamental rights specifically mentioned in the first eight constitutional amendments. . . .

To hold that a right so basic and fundamental and so deep-rooted in our society as the right of privacy in marriage may be infringed because that right is not guaranteed in so many words by the first eight amendments to the Constitution is to ignore the Ninth Amendment and to give it no effect whatsoever."

Old 06-30-2008, 07:01 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
Would the benefits from a civil union produce the same desired outcome?
I don't think so...
Image:Samesex marriage in USA.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to that map only one state has civil unions that give the same rights as marriage.

EDIT: This site shows all the legal benefits of marriage Marriage Rights and Benefits (http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/pg/3/objectId/E0366844-7992-4018-B581C6AE9BF8B045/catId/F896EE61-B80C-4FE1-B1687AC0F07903BA/118/304/ART/ - broken link)

Old 06-30-2008, 07:40 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Rights are not limited only to those enumerated. The Founders of this country knew that a genius such as yourself would come along and saw fit to specify that the citizenry's rights are not limited to those enumerated. See the 9th Amendment. FindLaw: U.S. Constitution: Ninth Amendment
You know very well that the Founders defined marriage as between a man and a woman.

Quote:
Also, you seem to have missed my post about voting. Post #1092. Is the right to vote not a right because it has age restrictions and requires registration?
No, because they are two different subjects. A U.S. citizen, when old enough, can vote. Period. But a U.S. citizen, when old enough, cannot "marry" anyone he or she chooses.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:18 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You know very well that the Founders defined marriage as between a man and a woman.

No, because they are two different subjects. A U.S. citizen, when old enough, can vote. Period. But a U.S. citizen, when old enough, cannot "marry" anyone he or she chooses.

I'd wonder what you would think if you were denied the right to marry. You call marriage a privelege, but what if you were the one who was being prevented from being prevented from marrying someone you loved. And how do you know the Founding fathers defined marriage as between a man and a woman. And if they did, then that is a biblically archaic way of thinking. Also, why can you not marry anyone you want when you're old enough as long as they're of legal age. Whether they're a man and a woman, two men, two women, or a horse and a ham. That's ridiculous that someone shouldn't be allowed the right to marry the person they want because they don't follow an arbitrary and stringent asinine code of conduct.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 06-30-2008 at 08:45 PM..

Old 06-30-2008, 09:50 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
They also defined blacks as 3/5 of a human being and withheld from them the right to vote. What's your point? They also withheld from women the right to vote. Let's stick with your original attempt- that the right to marriage is not an enumerated right: it doesn't have to be enumerated to be a right held by the citizenry. Attempt at obfuscating the issue denied.

Quote:
Try consistency for a change. You argued that marriage is not a right because there is an age restriction and a license requirement. There is the same age restriction in voting and a registration requirement. Someone who is 18 can't just vote without having registered, just like someone 18 can't just marry without a license. Since your argument was that marriage is not a right due to having the age/license restriction, I posed the question about voting, which has the same kind of restriction. So is the right to vote not a right?

Old 06-30-2008, 10:01 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Don't bother continuing to argue w/Fleet, he's stuck in his old-school ways & he'll die w/his old-school ways. Who cares? The rest of us know better.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:13 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I don't think so...
Image:Samesex marriage in USA.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to that map only one state has civil unions that give the same rights as marriage.

EDIT: This site shows all the legal benefits of marriage Marriage Rights and Benefits (http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/pg/3/objectId/E0366844-7992-4018-B581C6AE9BF8B045/catId/F896EE61-B80C-4FE1-B1687AC0F07903BA/118/304/ART/ - broken link)
Okay, I counted five states that recognize civil unions with rights similar to marraige. If the rest of the country used these rights as a basis of recognition, would there be a need to press for legalizing marraige?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies