Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 07:15 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Just answering one. And asking a few.. so are you going to answer?
"who are you or I to decide that their beliefs have any more or less validity?"

I didn't say any do, I didn't say I had a belief, theres you an answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 07:47 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
"who are you or I to decide that their beliefs have any more or less validity?"

I didn't say any do, I didn't say I had a belief, theres you an answer.
You said, "if a person really believes, then isn't the bible what you would go by?" I think the poster was wondering why you chose that book specifically in your post.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
You said, "if a person really believes, then isn't the bible what you would go by?" I think the poster was wondering why you chose that book specifically in your post.
So people are talking about differant bibles? I just assumed they were talking about one. Well then I guess that would answer my question.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:15 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,414 times
Quote:
My opinion and mine only, it seems everybody has their own god to suit their own needs and justify themselves, I'm not a religious person but I doubt there is more than one God, it seems if you have to make one up then why bother at all, just say you don't believe and move on. If a person really believes then isn't the bible what you would go by?
Not necessarily. Depends on the brand of indoctrination they were subjected to in childhood (in most cases). There is nothing that makes the God of the bible any more credible than the Gods and Goddesses of other beliefs.

Quote:
and if so how would anyone justify changing it to suit their needs?
Not so, therefore the latter part is irrelevant.

Quote:
I'm just asking because I see folks talking about their God like theres a hundred differant Gods.
Maybe there are. You have no proof that there aren't.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:19 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
Quote:
So people are talking about differant bibles? I just assumed they were talking about one. Well then I guess that would answer my question.
Actually, I believe I said this earlier, but the question isn't so much different bibles as it is different interpretations of said various bibles...

Old 07-02-2008, 08:20 PM

11 posts, read 83,528 times
nothing is "wrong" with gay marriage...except a marriage is traditionally defined as something different. I am NOT opposed to it...I believe its the couples decision. I am hetero and happily married. I have gay friends and do understand and have witnessed how humans can truely have deep love for each other. Lots of people marry for all kinds of reasons. It IS supposed to be for love. the greater purpose of making it legal in my opinion is so that the couples can share in the legal "stuff" anyone else does who are legally bound. That means of course all the rules, not just the ones some choose to live by.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Actually, I believe I said this earlier, but the question isn't so much different bibles as it is different interpretations of said various bibles...
Thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Not necessarily. Depends on the brand of indoctrination they were subjected to in childhood (in most cases). There is nothing that makes the God of the bible any more credible than the Gods and Goddesses of other beliefs.

Not so, therefore the latter part is irrelevant.

Maybe there are. You have no proof that there aren't.
I never claimed to have proof of anything.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:35 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,414 times
Quote:
I never claimed to have proof of anything.
I didn't say that you claimed any such thing. You did, however, default to the bible.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:49 PM

72 posts, read 228,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Really... what would happen if homosexuals were allowed to marry? If you oppose it, why?
Answer: Nothing
California legalized gay marriage recently. The roof of my home did not start leaking. No trees in the rainforest died because of it. Nobody lost their job because of it. It did not raise your or my cholestrol level. No babies went to bed hungry because of it. Neither my or your morals and sense of responsibility were lessened by it. As far as I can tell, the only results were twofold:
1) Some people who really care about each other are much happier now that their relationship is cemented.
2) Some backwards thinking busy bodies with their priorities all out of whack got their undies in a bundle over trying to enforce their interpretation of things onto the rest of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies