Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 04:42 PM

1,100 posts, read 634,287 times

Advertisements

No evidence, no case....try shouting that instead of the nonsense, no justice, no peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 07:45 PM

117 posts, read 72,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
So... one of hundreds of white on black police incidents is not as clear cut as Walter Scotts's (do we agree that that is clear cut murder? I have to ask) shooting and people are quecing up to weigh in on how unjust it is to call these officers to task. Let's see how well that goes. The proof is always in the YouTube videos of tear gas canisters being fired into crowds of rioters...
Yes Walter Scott was clear cut murder, which is why the officer was immediately charged with murder and I will be outraged if he's not convicted at trial in October.

Where you're wrong is claiming that most police shootings are as clear as Walter Scott's. His case is the exception to the rule, not the rule.

Furthermore, injecting race into it really shows either your true colors, or your ignorance. There's absolutely nothing to suggest White cops are shooting Blacks at a rate higher than any other demographic of cops.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:13 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
He was arrested for having an illegal knife on him and he was a felon.
What is an "illegal knife?" I was unaware that having a knife is against the law or that one needs a license/permit to carry a pocket knife.

And it doesn't matter if he was a felon (key word is WAS). If he is walking and/or riding a bike in a neighborhood he lives in and has a knife (which isn't illegal) then there was not reason to arrest him anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Freddy Gray had very long history of selling drugs and they found opiates in his system after his death. I've seen no indication of levels yet. I saw at least interview with someone who knew him and they stated he was not a heroin addict.

Because of his less than responsive condition he most likely ingested whatever he was holding. The only other conclusion you can draw is he was faking it.
A history of something doesn't mean that he was doing it at the time. By all accounts, he was not in commission of any criminal act at the time of his arrest. It also doesn't matter if he had opiates in his system after his death. He may have been a drug addict. There are millions of white drug addicts in suburbia who aren't stopped on their bikes and beat up in the back of police vehicles. Opiate addiction is rampant in suburbia WAY more than inner-city black communities.

FWIW, I knew that the officer would be cleared, just like a majority of black people did in this country. I knew this because I am well aware of the history of the societal racism in our criminal justice system and how it treats black criminals and victims and especially when it comes to law enforcement killing any black person (or any person as all really as too many whites and hispanics and natives and Asians are abused/killed by law enforcement and no justice is ever given). They have always gotten off for over 100 years. A lot of you don't want to admit this, but it is the truth.

I know a lot of former felons unfortunately, since I grew up in an inner city and I have worked with the public for many years. Over 90% of them are no longer involved in crime. I know a lot of recovering drug addicts from the crack epidemic as well who haven't done drugs for over 25 years. I know kids who smoke weed sometimes. I don't consider any of those people to be criminals and think it is okay for police to kill them because they have a pocket knife.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:22 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
IMO, Freddie Grey's neck was broken when the officer kneed down hard on the back of Freddie's neck. Seen at about 0:05 on video. Notice how Freddie's legs are limp and his head hangs in an unnatural position while they carry him to the van. Often after a neck fracture, the spinal cord will not become totally severed leaving some ability. However, Freddie was too weak to brace himself during the unrestrained van ride and this further damaged his neck and spinal cord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fztnOdFwEE

Old 05-24-2016, 09:31 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
What is an "illegal knife?" I was unaware that having a knife is against the law or that one needs a license/permit to carry a pocket knife.

And it doesn't matter if he was a felon (key word is WAS). If he is walking and/or riding a bike in a neighborhood he lives in and has a knife (which isn't illegal) then there was not reason to arrest him anyway.

A history of something doesn't mean that he was doing it at the time. By all accounts, he was not in commission of any criminal act at the time of his arrest. It also doesn't matter if he had opiates in his system after his death. He may have been a drug addict. There are millions of white drug addicts in suburbia who aren't stopped on their bikes and beat up in the back of police vehicles. Opiate addiction is rampant in suburbia WAY more than inner-city black communities.

FWIW, I knew that the officer would be cleared, just like a majority of black people did in this country. I knew this because I am well aware of the history of the societal racism in our criminal justice system and how it treats black criminals and victims and especially when it comes to law enforcement killing any black person (or any person as all really as too many whites and hispanics and natives and Asians are abused/killed by law enforcement and no justice is ever given). They have always gotten off for over 100 years. A lot of you don't want to admit this, but it is the truth.

I know a lot of former felons unfortunately, since I grew up in an inner city and I have worked with the public for many years. Over 90% of them are no longer involved in crime. I know a lot of recovering drug addicts from the crack epidemic as well who haven't done drugs for over 25 years. I know kids who smoke weed sometimes. I don't consider any of those people to be criminals and think it is okay for police to kill them because they have a pocket knife.
US Knife Laws | KnifeUp

Old 05-24-2016, 09:33 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

You need to read the laws before you speak. It is illegal to carry a knife of a certain blade size or action (spring loaded) in this case in many states. Also, felons aren't supposed to be carrying weapons. Glad I could educate you on this matter.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Your link does not state that it is illegal to carry a pocketknife in MD.

From your link (I bolded what is legal) Please pay particular attention to the pink and red...

Again, one does not need a permit/license to carry a pocketknife. It is also not illegal. My son had a pocketknife when he was 6 years old.

Quote:
What is Legal to Own

• It is legal to own a balisong knife, also called butterfly knife.
  • it is legal to own dirks, daggers, stilettos, and other slim knives.
  • It is legal to own switchblades, gravity knives, and automatic knives.
  • It is legal to own ballistic knives.
  • It is legal to own disguised knives like belt knives and lipstick knives.
  • It is legal to own throwing stars and throwing knives.
  • It is legal to own undetectable knives.
  • It is legal to own Bowie knives and other large knives.
There are no limitation on the type of knife you can own in Maryland.
Limits on Carry

• You can not conceal carry a throwing star, dirk, switchblade, gravity knife, or bowie knife.
  • You can not open carry a throwing star, dirk, switchblade, gravity knife, or bowie knife with the intent to harm someone.
  • You can open or conceal carry any sized pocket knife you wish.
If a knife is not listed above, it is most likely to be legal for concealed or open carry.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:36 AM

Police techniques that can kill!

Quote:
A technique which is sighted as a factor in so called ‘deaths in custody’ is what is known as ‘prone restraint’. It involves forcing a suspect face-down onto the floor, cuffing their hands behind their back and then putting pressure on their torso, shoulders and neck.
Quote:
For example, an officer may pin the suspect’s body to the floor with a knee on their back, and another may immobilize the suspect’s head by kneeling on their neck.
https://www.thebureauinvestigates.co...that-can-kill/

Old 05-24-2016, 10:02 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Baltimore's knife laws were more strict. Gray's knife was illegal in Baltimore.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Baltimore's knife laws were more strict. Gray's knife was illegal in Baltimore.
Are you saying that the officers arrested Freddie because of his knife?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies