Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3001 View Post
The three White cops arrested him because he was in a known drug market, saw the police and fled for no apparent reason. You can claim they illegally detained him, roughed him up during his arrest or what have you, but at the end of the day none of that has anything to do with his death. They handed him off and went back to work. This case was presented as another example of racist White cops killing innocent Black people and it's just not the case at all. In fact, it's the Black cops who appear to be the guilty ones and that's not going to play well with the racist, anti-White cop movement.
Didn't he live in the neighborhood....?

FWIW, I lived in a neighborhood in Atlanta known to be a spot to get heroine, so by your own account, I should be arrested when I am walking on the street.

And a lot of people run away when they see police.

You also have not mentioned that Freddie Gray was a victim of lead poisoning. Lead poisoning can lead to developmental delays and disabilities of cognitive function. The police of course did not know this, but running away doesn't mean that someone should be arrested, especially if they have not been seen to have been committing a crime.

And FWIW, I'll state early on in this thread that black cops and white cops IMO are in the same "gang." I also (as a black person) feel that in many cases black cops are worse than white ones and are more aggressive because they don't have to fear the "racist" label on them. Too often white people think a lot of black people think differently about black officers. Some do, but IMO most do not. All police are into protecting each other no matter their ethnicity and all of them are capable of holding negative biases regarding specific demographics of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 10:48 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

FWIW, I lived in a neighborhood in Atlanta known to be a spot to get heroine, so by your own account, I should be arrested when I am walking on the street.

And a lot of people run away when they see police.

You also have not mentioned that Freddie Gray was a victim of lead poisoning. Lead poisoning can lead to developmental delays and disabilities of cognitive function. The police of course did not know this, but running away doesn't mean that someone should be arrested, especially if they have not been seen to have been committing a crime.

And FWIW, I'll state early on in this thread that black cops and white cops IMO are in the same "gang." I also (as a black person) feel that in many cases black cops are worse than white ones and are more aggressive because they don't have to fear the "racist" label on them. Too often white people think a lot of black people think differently about black officers. Some do, but IMO most do not. All police are into protecting each other no matter their ethnicity and all of them are capable of holding negative biases regarding specific demographics of the population.
He was arrested for having an illegal knife on him and he was a felon.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:51 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
I'm next to the courthouse and there's nothing happening. Helicopters flying around but that's about it.

It may take a few hours for any riots to develop. Hopefully they don't.

Congratulations to Officer Nero. Unfortunately his life is ruined despite the not guilty verdict. This has been an agenda-driven political witch hunt led by the left from the beginning. Mosby is awful.
The cowards and thugs will wait for the cover of dark to start looting.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:02 AM

596 posts, read 428,949 times
Don't worry Baltimore, there's more chances to riot in the future. Baltimore...where we'll have black riots over a black career criminal dying (allegedly)at the hands of black cops in a city with a black police chief, black DA, and a black mayor, in a country with a black attorney general and a black President both egging them on.

#BlackLivesMadder

Old 05-23-2016, 11:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3001 View Post
That's when they handed him off to the Black officers and then, who knows what happened?
Due to his condition and past history what probably happened here is he ingested whatever drugs he was holding and the bag broke. They did find opiates in his system so it was likely heroin. This happens quite a bit and this issue is compounded by a lot of people faking it. The cops need to make a judgment call on whether they should take them to the hospital, they can't take everyone to the hospital that claims to be ill or looks ill because they will spending all their time at the hospital.

After putting him the wagon the mistake that was made was not strapping him in. Standing inside a moving vehicle that is starting and stopping can be difficult even without your hands cuffed and all highed up on drugs. If I recall correctly the evidence suggests he hit his head on the rear of the van. He probably stood up and the van started to moved forward. He lost his balance and with his hands cuffed there is no way for him to stop himself or prevent his head from fully impacting the back of the van. This would also explain the original statement by the occupant on the other side that said he heard banging, that was later recanted but why would someone make that up?

Based on the evidence that is publicly known what occurred here certainly rises to negligence because they didn't strap him in. The cops involved with that should be fired. This is not a case of murder.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

FWIW, I lived in a neighborhood in Atlanta known to be a spot to get heroine, so by your own account, I should be arrested when I am walking on the street. .
Freddy Gray had very long history of selling drugs and they found opiates in his system after his death. I've seen no indication of levels yet. I saw at least interview with someone who knew him and they stated he was not a heroin addict.

Because of his less than responsive condition he most likely ingested whatever he was holding. The only other conclusion you can draw is he was faking it.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:16 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,046,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Let the looting and arson begin....
I think the whole "hands up don't shoot" and "Black Lives Matter" movement has died down quite a bit. If you live in Baltimore, stay up on the news but I think the riots are done with.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:05 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,172,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
There still is no clear explanation for why those two white cops arrested Gray in the first place. And 9 police officers are implicated in his death, not four. It is not as simple as two white cops arrest Gray (with no probable cause) and hand him over to two black officers who kill him. Yes, it will get ugly, but sadly, not ugly enough.
He was arrested for resisting arrest. /s

Old 05-23-2016, 12:09 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The proof is always in the YouTube videos of tear gas canisters being fired into crowds of rioters...

I strongly support the use of tear gas to stop riots. You don't?

Old 05-23-2016, 12:10 PM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,660 times
Surprise, surprise. They never get any jail time. Where I live, they shot and killed a white guy who was unarmed. Guess what? They didn't serve any time for that either. It doesn't matter what color the victim is, the policeman will be acquitted every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies