Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,675,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
IMO, Freddie Grey's neck was broken when the officer kneed down hard on the back of Freddie's neck. Seen at about 0:05 on video. Notice how Freddie's legs are limp and his head hangs in an unnatural position while they carry him to the van. Often after a neck fracture, the spinal cord will not become totally severed leaving some ability. However, Freddie was too weak to brace himself during the unrestrained van ride and this further damaged his neck and spinal cord.
Let's see here, should I go with a YouTube video or the coroner:

Autopsy of Freddie Gray shows 'high-energy' impact - Baltimore Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 10:09 AM

19,868 posts, read 12,159,281 times
Quote:
Are you saying that the officers arrested Freddie because of his knife?
No, I am just correcting people who are stating MD knife laws. Don't put words in my mouth.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:55 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,524,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
No, I am just correcting people who are stating MD knife laws. Don't put words in my mouth.
Gray was charged with possession of an illegal knife.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:57 AM

19,868 posts, read 12,159,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Gray was charged with possession of an illegal knife.
Exactly, but a few here were still quoting MD law when the knife was illegal under Baltimore law.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:02 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,717,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The sensationalizing of cases like Freddy Gray or Ferguson aren't helping things, it's counterproductive. If you want to complain about something you better pick something where there is legitimate complaint.
I keep thinking that too. If BLM wanted to get virtually everyone on their side, they would pick a person who truly was a victim in every sense of the word. Some decent black kid just minding his or her own business who is in the wrong place at the wrong time and gets beaten or killed by the cops for something he/she never even did.

But virtually all I ever see are cases where someone is indeed violating the law, most quite seriously, some less so, but none the less doing something illegal who end up with bad things happening at the hands of the cops because they refuse to follow the cops orders.

If a cop tells you to stop, or drop your gun, or freeze, or whatever the hell they tell you to do.....DO IT ! If the cops did something wrong you'll be alive and able to seek justice at a later date. Or you can keep running, or punching or holding onto your gun......or whatever, and be shot dead on the spot....I guess you showed them tuff guy huh ?

This whole BLM movement seems to be, as it's currently structured anyway, to be based on rioting/protesting the deaths/mis-treatment of stupid criminals doing stupid things and then when not following orders given by the cops, bad things happen. Gee.....go figure !

Old 05-24-2016, 01:35 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,149,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
A history of something doesn't mean that he was doing it at the time. By all accounts, he was not in commission of any criminal act at the time of his arrest.
You cannot run from the police, this will get you arrested every time.

Quote:
It also doesn't matter if he had opiates in his system after his death.
Yes it does because it could of been contributing factor in his death. It would certainly explain his condition as they were putting him into the van and could help explain how he ended up getting injured.

Quote:
There are millions of white drug addicts in suburbia who aren't stopped on their bikes and beat up in the back of police vehicles.
If the cops come up to them and they take off they will be chased and arrested. I had a cop stop and talk to me on a bike late at night.... New guy on the force that didn't know me, he's just doing his job part of which is to interact with people. I'm 100% confident if I ran he would have chased me, I would expect it because that is his job.

There is nothing that suggests Gray was beaten by anyone. The injuries he sustained are consistent with banging his head into something. Also keep in mind there was another prisoner in that van and I don't recall him saying it was a rough ride.

Quote:
Opiate addiction is rampant in suburbia WAY more than inner-city black communities.
Correct, soccer Mom gets addicted to prescribed pain meds and then switches to heroin when she loses her legal fix.

Quote:
A lot of you don't want to admit this, but it is the truth.
There is lots of problems with bad police no matter what race you are that need to be addressed. The black community isn't doing anyone any favors focusing on cases like this.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
IMO, Freddie Grey's neck was broken when the officer kneed down hard on the back of Freddie's neck. Seen at about 0:05 on video. Notice how Freddie's legs are limp and his head hangs in an unnatural position while they carry him to the van. Often after a neck fracture, the spinal cord will not become totally severed leaving some ability. However, Freddie was too weak to brace himself during the unrestrained van ride and this further damaged his neck and spinal cord.
This in not what the autopsy shows, his injuries were "high impact". They would be consistent with standing up(possibly bending over), losing your balance and smashing your head into the wall. You're going have almost the full weight of your body and the energy generated by the momentum of the vehicle. Even if your body is traveling at 5MPH there is going to be a lot of energy.

This is 5MPH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a93m_jMJ18

Old 05-24-2016, 02:29 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,852,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You cannot run from the police, this will get you arrested every time.

There is lots of problems with bad police no matter what race you are that need to be addressed
. The black community isn't doing anyone any favors focusing on cases like this.
On the bold black, running is not against the law. One should not get arrested or killed just because they are running away.

On the red, I agree with you (and stated as much in the thread and various times throughout my time on this forum). I personally believe that the powers that be have a vested interest in keeping Americans divided on racial issues.

In regards to your comments about "the black community," I would gather that the black community in Baltimore and its surrounding communities actually does have a vested interest in this case since it is affecting their area.

I do not live in Baltimore. I actually am lucky that in the area I live, we do not have many issues at all with our police except for profiling of black men in particular. As the wife of a black man and a mother of a black teenager, I do have a vested interest in this issue and so I have engaged with police about it and luckily our department is professional and receptive and they have taken the community's concerns to heart. I trust that they will investigate and take action to curtail the profiling of black men who are driving while black or walking while black or bicycling while black. Where I live is only about 30% black and about 65% white and a large amount of our white population have issues with opiate drug addiction and so IMO it would behoove the department to look to the whites for random stops for drugs especially since it may save some lives. Too many of our young (white) citizens are dying due to drug overdoses. Once I looked at our paper's death register/obituary and 90% of the those who had died that day died from opiate overdose. Stopping that population more and conviscating their drugs to curtail those deaths would be a good thing to do IMO. I have friends who have lost family members, including children due to opiate addiction. One was a white teenage male, who had never been stopped/questioned by police not even in his car. Yet my 14 year old black male teen who doesn't drive or do drugs has been stopped and questioned by police at a bus stop outside of his school and while walking to the store for candy.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:59 PM

23,613 posts, read 17,300,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's see here, should I go with a YouTube video or the coroner:

Autopsy of Freddie Gray shows 'high-energy' impact - Baltimore Sun
Probably would have been the first time in his life he ever wore a seat belt.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold black, running is not against the law. One should not get arrested or killed just because they are running away.
If you are running from the police they are going to chase and arrest you. You cannot run from the cops, when they say stop, you need to stop. You don't have the option of not stopping. If the cop thinks you are doing something wrong their job is to interact with you.

If you are stopped by the cops and do not want to speak to them you need to ask them if you are being detained, if they say no tell them to have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies