Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 07:45 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
I simply don't understand why people insist on drinking. Alcohol is a very serious drug. Essentially, every time you drink, you are consuming poison. Just avoid it, and remain cognizant.

Chances are, if you remain alert and surround yourself with other people who are not drinking or using drugs, you substantially reduce your chances of being the victim of rape. This doesn't mean that it won't ever happen, it just means that it's less likely to happen to you.

Typically, date rape occurs when people are drunk and lose their inhibitions. They may interpret your actions, as coming onto them, even if you clearly say no. This is why it is best to remain sober.
Yeah, but that's giving in to the rape culture. What we need to do is radically modify male behavior, through indoctrination and the threat of severe penalties, to the point where women can do anything they want anywhere they want and run zero risk of unwanted sexual attention. Women must be free to lower their inhibitions with chemicals, and max out their sex appeal to desirable men through provocative dress and behavior, all the while retaining complete control over how those hot men respond, and shutting down all attention from the remaining 80-90% of men who are losers. Only then will women be truly empowered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 07:51 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Along with what you said in point #2, point #1 shouldn't have any bearing at all. Who cares if this POS didn't have a criminal background? He raped an unconscious woman.
I have no idea what actually happened, but he was not convicted of rape. And that's all you need to know to explain the sentence.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I have no idea what actually happened, but he was not convicted of rape. And that's all you need to know to explain the sentence.
He was convicted of sexual assault.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html
"Light sentence for Stanford swimmer in sexual assault 'extraordinary,' legal experts say
The six-month sentence given to a former Stanford University swimmer after he was convicted of sexual assault is unusually low for such a case, legal experts said, but will probably stand despite widespread criticism.

Santa Clara County prosecutors had asked that Brock Turner be sentenced to six years in prison for the January 2015 attack on a woman. But Judge Aaron Persky chose to sentence Turner, 20, to six months in jail and three years’ probation while requiring him to register as a sex offender for life."

Old 06-09-2016, 07:56 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yeah, but that's giving in to the rape culture. What we need to do is radically modify male behavior, through indoctrination and the threat of severe penalties, to the point where women can do anything they want anywhere they want and run zero risk of unwanted sexual attention. Women must be free to lower their inhibitions with chemicals, and max out their sex appeal to desirable men through provocative dress and behavior, all the while retaining complete control over how those hot men respond, and shutting down all attention from the remaining 80-90% of men who are losers. Only then will women be truly empowered.
That is not so outrageous. Men should not bother women who show no interest in them. Men should not rape passed out drunk women even if they show interest. Not so hard.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:03 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yeah, but that's giving in to the rape culture. What we need to do is radically modify male behavior, through indoctrination and the threat of severe penalties, to the point where women can do anything they want anywhere they want and run zero risk of unwanted sexual attention.
You have a problem with that? If a dude can't help but molest or rape a woman simply because she's showing skin, the man is the problem, not the woman showing the skin. Have some self control.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:03 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Since when is getting drunk a permission for rape?

You see a girl passed out in a alleyway, and your first thoughts are to undress her and finger her?

You people are weirdos.
I think the people saying 'he was drunk' aren't necessarily saying that's an excuse, but that he wouldn't have done it while sober so it's not as bad.

And I agree, he probably wouldn't have done it while sober so in a way, he's not as bad as some people. But drunk people are viciously honest. I don't think that people who misbehave while drunk are not acing like themselves. I think they're acting more like themselves than they would while sober, which is when they're able to recognize social queues and stop themselves from doing things they, at a personal level, aren't totally against.

Point being, Brock Turner always thinks he deserves to get laid. It's a form of pure selfishness that's always there, but he's able to hide when not hammered. As evidence for this, he's trying to appeal his astoundingly short jail time because even that is just too much for him. There are people in prison for far lesser things doing far more time.

In his father's letter, he said Brock feels remorse. Initially, I believed that to be true. But given time, I still believe it's true, but I'm not so sure he feels remorse because he knows he did wrong or because he got caught. I hope it's the former, but based on my assumptions (and in fairness, that's really all they are), I have my doubts.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:09 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That's my point. He wasn't convicted of rape:

Stanford sex case: Brock Turner found guilty of assault on unconscious woman - San Jose Mercury News

Quote:
Brock Turner, 20, was convicted of three felony charges: assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated woman, sexually penetrating an intoxicated person with a foreign object and sexually penetrating an unconscious person with a foreign object.
He stuck his finger in her.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
It's 100% not her fault, but her choosing to get so drunk did preclude her from making good decisions---like she could have consensual sex with him or someone else if she hadn't passed out and then truly regretted it the next day, if she could have remembered). I believe she has a boyfriend, so this could have ended the relationship if she had confessed.

I also raise an eyebrow with her account of waking up covered in pine straw and being bruised. This would have been the case had she been assaulted or not. The implication seems to be that the bruising and pine straw were his fault. I don't think he pushed her down---she fell and then passed out. He's a horrible person, but I'm not sure he physically assaulted her by pushing her down or restraining her.

And if she and her sister were getting so drunk, how were they going to drive home? Chances are they would have---possible they would have called for an Uber/cab, etc., but again, decision making isn't usually so good with that much drinking. Aside from how she or sister could have permanently injured/killed themselves driving home, what about the other, innocent people on the road? I guess maybe they wouldn't have left for a while since she was passed out, but what if she hadn't passed out?
Please understand: I am not blaming the victim, but I am pointing out that her decision to drink so much could have had dire consequences for other people (not just Brock and his family---I could care less about them).
1. There were pine needles, abrasions and dirt in her vagina. Would not have happened if she only passed out in the dirt.
2. Her dress was pulled up to her waist and her underwear was removed. Not likely to happen when she was passed out.
3. I think her cardigan was halfway off too. While it is not freezing in NorCal in Jan, you would be chilly without a sweater
4. Uber was started in Palo Alto, everyone with means takes Uber here. They probably did too.

On the other hand I feel really really sorry for the sister. I am sure she is wrecked with guilt for leaving without her sis. I found that disappointing. I have only left my sister at a party if there were other friends around.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:47 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Oh excuse me. He only stuck his hand in her vagina, not his penis so it must be less serious.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:48 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Oh excuse me. He only stuck his hand in her vagina, not his penis so it must be less serious.
Yep. I suppose if someone stuck a bottle up a guy's butt, that would be acceptable to the guy on the receiving end. That's not rape, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies