Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 07:29 PM

562 posts, read 464,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Okay, what about women who are drugged, what is your advice for them? Women who have a seizure or other medical emergency and are vulnerable and taken advantage of? What about women who work the night shift and have to get to and from their car or public transport? What about women locked in their homes, and are assaulted by an intruder, what should they have done to prevent it? How about young boys at church or school, what should they have done? Old women in retirement homes? Women in the military?

Should I go on? I've got all night.
Surely you understand there is a difference between a woman who has a medical condition and/or is drugged, vs a woman who is a drunk and exercises no self control, but expects everyone else to have the utmost respect for her body.

I wouldn't wish rape on anyone, but at some point, people have to put on their thinking caps. The worst thing that one can do when surrounded by strangers is lessen their inhibitions by taking drugs (and yes alcohol is a drug).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 07:36 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,590,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not to jump in here, also not to ruin a good memory for you, generally considered a fantasy by most men, but sometimes I think men would have a better perspective about rape if they considered being raped by another man. That tends to change the dynamic more in keeping with how women feel about this horrible crime that men sometimes just don't get too well and/or well enough.
Totally agree with that a man being raped by another man is probably exactly the way a woman feels being raped by a man .

I can identify with that all day long 8 days a week.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:00 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Okay, what about women who are drugged, what is your advice for them? Women who have a seizure or other medical emergency and are vulnerable and taken advantage of? What about women who work the night shift and have to get to and from their car or public transport? What about women locked in their homes, and are assaulted by an intruder, what should they have done to prevent it? How about young boys at church or school, what should they have done? Old women in retirement homes? Women in the military?

Quote:
Good grief, we've gone from drink to dress! Women have been raped while wearing all types of clothes including jeans and flannel shirts. Are guys that captive to their hormones, that an attractively dressed woman gives them this insatiable urge to rape?
So... not all rape can be avoided by women who are reasonably careful in their dress and behavior. Therefore no attempt whatsoever to avoid rape by modifying dress and behavior is justified? This logic is appallingly bad, and the result is to make women more vulnerable. Again, the only real intent here seems to be at putting men down. You folks don't really care about women's safety.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:06 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Good grief, we've gone from drink to dress! Women have been raped while wearing all types of clothes including jeans and flannel shirts. Are guys that captive to their hormones, that an attractively dressed woman gives them this insatiable urge to rape?
Sadly yes. You put that same passed out girl in any ghetto neighborhood in America or in the rough neighborhoods of Mexico, South America, India, the Middle East and Africa... and most likely she will be raped. In fact, she doesn't even have to be passed out in order to be sexually assaulted. Look at what is happening in places where the Syrian refugees have gone, like in Sweden and Germany. There are the local European women there being physically accosted by the refugees who are unfamiliar with the new culture they have been placed in. And what about that young woman who died from the gang rape on the bus? Or the recent gang rape of the woman by 30+ men in Brazil?

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/06/0...erman-concert/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36395267

Otherwise, if I leave my house unlocked and unattended... who is to blame if I get burglarized?

As to clothing, what is the point of a woman dressing provocatively, if it isn't to show off her body and attract male attention?

Then finally, no one has mentioned this, but in soap operas (General Hospital and I've seen it in a Spanish soap opera too), romance novels and erotic literature, there is a fairly common storyline of what starts out as a rape ending in the woman being turned on and being satisfied. Some couples role-play this too. Men seem to be more fortunate in being more easily satisfied by sex, and I do think that in situations of date rape, while the man is completely wrong, the brain in his penis is telling him that the great sex he is giving her will persuade her that she wants it. Stupid thinking yes, but in the heat of the moment and if alcohol or drugs are involved, he continues with the forced sex.

Men and women have different sex drives. One study suggests that men think about sex twice as often as women. Otherwise, the problem with men is that it is so obvious to them when they are turned on because their sex organs are on the outside. Having an erection is hard to ignore. Anyway, I am so glad to be a woman and not a man.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...hink-about-sex

Old 06-08-2016, 08:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But at the end of the day, if a woman puts herself in a vulnerable position (passed out drunk) in a strange environment (not within the safety of her home or a friend's place) and without the company of friends, if she does get robbed, assaulted or raped... what good does it do to put the blame solely on the perpetrators? My comments are just to say that no woman should be counting on gentlemanly behaviour from every single man or person around her when she is inebriated and all by herself.

So you can argue all you like about where the blame should be distributed, but what does it matter after a rape occurs. The horse has long left the barn. But my posts are about trying to prevent future rapes. And a harsher punishment for Turner isn't going to stop future campus rapes. Women going to these parties need to stick together and only drink moderately. And not dress too sexy either... since when has anyone ever met their soulmate at these bashes? Women have to also stop being okay with the current casual hookup culture. FWB's are only for the benefit of the guys.
You know most rapes are acquaintance or friend rapes by someone the victims knows. Being at home or at a friend's place does not mean you won't get raped. Neither does being in the presence of people you know also doesn't mean you won't get raped. So the best way to prevent rape is for rapists not to do it.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You know most rapes are acquaintance or friend rapes by someone the victims knows. Being at home or at a friend's place does not mean you won't get raped. Neither does being in the presence of people you know also doesn't mean you won't get raped. So the best way to prevent rape is for rapists not to do it.
I keep reading this statement throughout the thread. You can't control every man, not every man has good intentions, and some are downright sick. It's not right, but that's the reality of the world.

So apart from what you cannot control, what is the best thing a woman can do to avoid being in a situation where she may be taken advantage of - i.e. raped, etc.?

Old 06-08-2016, 08:16 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It doesn't matter how many times you people repeat this. It doesn't stop being idiotic.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:18 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
Surely you understand there is a difference between a woman who has a medical condition and/or is drugged, vs a woman who is a drunk and exercises no self control, but expects everyone else to have the utmost respect for her body.
How would you know?

So I'm walking down the street one day and come across someone who's unconscious by the side of the road. How do I know whether or not it's more acceptable to rape that person or not without being medically trained? You can smell the booze? Ever smelled someone in a hyperglycemic coma, it can easily be mistaken for booze.

The default behavior should be to have the utmost respect for people's being. It makes it easier and avoids mistakes where people rape women having medical emergencies by accident thinking they're just drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
I wouldn't wish rape on anyone, but at some point, people have to put on their thinking caps. The worst thing that one can do when surrounded by strangers is lessen their inhibitions by taking drugs (and yes alcohol is a drug).
If you think that getting drunk while surrounded by strangers is the worst thing one can do, you've had a sheltered life, it's not even close.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:19 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I keep reading this statement throughout the thread. You can't control every man, not every man has good intentions, and some are downright sick. It's not right, but that's the reality of the world.

So apart from what you cannot control, what is the best thing a woman can do to avoid being in a situation where she may be taken advantage of - i.e. raped, etc.?
That's the point I have been repeatedly trying to make. Women and men are raped in every conceivable location, the only common denominator being the rapist. You tell us, what should people do to protect themselves?

Old 06-08-2016, 08:25 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,590,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Huh? Are you asserting sexual assault of females by males is a white culture phenomenon?

No the man and woman involved in this rape were both Caucasian American and Anglo Saxon persons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies