Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 12:14 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times

Advertisements

Here's a thought provoking article on how the legal system treats the victims of sexual assault.

Stanford Rape Case Raises Questions About Rape Law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 12:17 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Going forward, can we employ some honesty here and stop calling this "rape", those charges were dropped.
No.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:18 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So many other bad things can happen while passed out drunk... so the point is, NO ONE should ever drink to the point of passing out. And that is why some of the blame does lie with the drunkard. And not every passerby can be counted on to be a gentleman or good Samaritan. That girl was plain stupid to be drinking so much in the company of strangers. Where were her girlfriends at? What idiot goes to a campus party like that alone and without other friends to look out for each other.

And yes, I am tired of decades of watching young girls, teen girls and young adult women dressed up like sex kittens. Every young woman wearing thong panties, with a tramp stamp, odd body piercings, high heels and a Brazilian wax job or a landing strip. They come across as being ready for sex at a moments notice, so of course the boys think that the girls want sex as much as they do. And the kids are indeed having sex at a much earlier age than when I was young.
I agree with your first paragraph. And to some extent, the second. But guys are kidding themselves if they think girls want sex, especially no strings attached sex, as much as they do. Not that women don't have sexual urges, but a large part of the sexy presentation is just to keep up with others, draw attention to themselves, and to attract guys....to get them to be their boyfriends, husbands, baby daddies, and so on. Why do so many women lose interest in guys/sex once they are married and, especially after they fulfill their biological urge to procreate?

And preteens are even dressing sexy---I don't think they really are wanting sex. They are wanting to appear older, hot, and available....but mostly available to attract male interest, to validate themselves---not strictly for sex. But you're right. Probably the average guy doesn't realize that or doesn't care---like at wealthy men who get "hot" women---they don't either know or care that these women wouldn't be with them if they weren't famous/rich.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:18 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,561,699 times
Quote:
So many other bad things can happen while passed out drunk... so the point is, NO ONE should ever drink to the point of passing out. And that is why some of the blame does lie with the drunkard. And not every passerby can be counted on to be a gentleman or good Samaritan. That girl was plain stupid to be drinking so much in the company of strangers. Where were her girlfriends at? What idiot goes to a campus party like that alone and without other friends to look out for each other.

And yes, I am tired of decades of watching young girls, teen girls and young adult women dressed up like sex kittens. Every young woman wearing thong panties, with a tramp stamp, odd body piercings, high heels and a Brazilian wax job or a landing strip. They come across as being ready for sex at a moments notice, so of course the boys think that the girls want sex as much as they do. And the kids are indeed having sex at a much earlier age than when I was young.
Your anger for younger women is duly noted. I guess we should go back to the days of ankle length skirts and wool sweaters.

Actually your post makes me sick. People like you are why rape victims don't come forward. Shame on you!!!

Old 06-08-2016, 12:19 PM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:

I sure would like to think you are a female, because much of what you write is bad enough coming from a woman let alone a man...

Women should be able to dress as they wish, perhaps with at least some respect for the law, "puritan" though those laws may be sometimes. Likewise men should respect women's rights and not act stupid.

Which gets me to the point noted in bold above...

Being "plain stupid" is NOT against the law and generally is not considered any sort of crime, but there is plenty of stupid out there, and as a result, yes, plain stupid things happen, sometimes even resulting in death. All justifications and/or excuses, right or wrong, notwithstanding...

Old 06-08-2016, 12:25 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,675,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/06/stan...b-share-thecut

This "boys will be boys" ruling is a vicious slap in the face of every sexual assault victim, especially those who have chosen to step forward and seek justice. I hope it becomes a focal point to highlight just how awful things still are. This case needs to become a catalyst for change.
I don't agree with this at all, as if this rapist is some tender snowflake.

Maybe this is just women's lib reaping what it sows. If a man was raped by a woman, I'll bet the jury would have little sympathy for him, and the woman would get off with a light form of punishment.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I agree with your first paragraph. And to some extent, the second. But guys are kidding themselves if they think girls want sex, especially no strings attached sex, as much as they do. Not that women don't have sexual urges, but a large part of the sexy presentation is just to keep up with others, draw attention to themselves, and to attract guys....to get them to be their boyfriends, husbands, baby daddies, and so on. Why do so many women lose interest in guys/sex once they are married and, especially after they fulfill their biological urge to procreate?

And preteens are even dressing sexy---I don't think they really are wanting sex. They are wanting to appear older, hot, and available....but mostly available to attract male interest, to validate themselves---not strictly for sex. But you're right. Probably the average guy doesn't realize that or doesn't care---like at wealthy men who get "hot" women---they don't either know or care that these women wouldn't be with them if they weren't famous/rich.
You too, I wonder, is this a male or female perspective?

I ask, because you remind me of a debate that many women will argue, that they do NOT dress to attract men as a rule unless they are specifically out for that purpose. Otherwise dress, sexy or not, is more just about how they want to look or feel in light of the fashions or mood of the day, largely as mostly followed by women. All to say that women in general dress more to look and feel good as recognized by other women, not so much men.

True or false?

I'm a man, and I'm really not sure...

Last edited by LearnMe; 06-08-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 12:28 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Because you think every girl who has ever been sexually assaulted tells everyone about it?

I have been sexually assaulted. My SO does not know that. No one in my family knows. Its not something I go around telling friends.
I'm so sorry, Sundaydrive. I hope you have the support you need.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:28 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,476 times
Quote:

No way in heaven or hell you're a woman.

She this, she that. Nothing about the actual criminal and offender.

Just pathetic.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I don't agree with this at all, as if this rapist is some tender snowflake.

Maybe this is just women's lib reaping what it sows. If a man was raped by a woman, I'll bet the jury would have little sympathy for him, and the woman would get off with a light form of punishment.
Again, the crime of rape has little to do with gender.

"Rape is a type of sexual assault usually involving sexual intercourse or other forms of sexual penetration perpetrated against a person without that person's consent."

When doing something physical to someone else who does not consent to that action, what the Hell difference does it make who is doing what to whom when there is no consent, let alone objection? Also, again, I think if men thought about rape in terms of man on man instead of woman on man, some male thoughts, notions and comments wouldn't be such as they are, generally "off the mark."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies