Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 09:36 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
more of what?
girls getting drunk or rapes or both?
sexual assault. why do you people keep thinking im making excuses for vile behavior?

good grief.

shoot on a wider level, all of the terrible things that happen to people because our culture has unmoored itself from any moral governor.

I know it sucks to think about the possibility that morality that has a source higher than your own belly is aberrant to many but honestly a LOT of what we find going on that we act all shocked over is a direct result of our quest to escape the confines of cultural morality.

lets do this one more time.

on our roads, when we have an intersection where we keep having wrecks we put up red lights to govern driving behavior. We do this because it is prudent.

in our culture we keep seeing these trainwrecks and instead of putting up a red light, we took them down. removed the stop signs and beat up the guy that wanted to install a CAUTION sign.

do you not recognize that as a society we have created a mess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 09:37 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,026 times
Looks like others have already dissected this ridiculous post, but it's my turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If she hadn't passed out completely drunk, she wouldn't have gotten "digitally penetrated" and much of her later mental distress is because everyone now knows of her stupidity. Between her being rescued and then being interviewed by the police and going through the legal system, everyone knows the consequences of her poor decisions that night.
And if Brock had any self control, he wouldn't have raped her. Actually, a real man would've helped her by calling 911 and waiting by her until the authorities arrived. Real men would've protected her and gotten her the help she needed, not take advantage of her sexually and then run like a coward.

Again, why is the focus on her lack of control when it comes to drinking? Why do you and others continually ignore that? You can spin it any way you want, when you continually put the focus on the woman and her actions, you are justifying what happened to her, period.

Quote:
Can you really say that she would have been raped had she not passed out? I honestly don't think that he would have. Maybe pawed at her, but certainly not forced entry into her vagina.
Of course he wouldn't have. He's a little POS, and if she wasn't unconscious, she probably would've put up a fight. Brock probably couldn't fight himself out of a wet paper bag, so he wouldn't have raped her. He's an opportunist. The fact that he raped her instead of helping her when she desperately needed help and protection speaks 1,000x more to who he is and how he was raised, than it does to the victim and her decisions.

Remind me, who committed a felony here?

Quote:
Oh boo-hoo. His reputation is ruined. He should've thought about that before he raped an unconscious woman he had no prior contact with, before running off like the guilty punk that he is. He made the decision to get wasted, not anyone else, and he made the decision to rape this girl, not anyone else.

Bleep his reputation. No one gave a rip about Brian Banks' reputation, but of course, he didn't look like a golden boy like poor Brock.

It sends a message to a POS like Brock Turner, that it doesn't matter if you're a golden boy from a good family and a "bright" future, there is no excuse for raping anyone.
Quote:
I think that you are jealous of this boy's previous status as a "golden boy". You are jealous that he was smart enough to get into Stanford and could have had the perfect life... shrug.
Please. I was going to come back with how stupid this part of your post is, but I'm not going to waste my time. Just know there's nothing about this kid, before or after the rape, that I would be jealous of.

If this is the best you can come up with, that I must be jealous of him, then you really have no argument and should quit while you're in last place.

Quote:
No. It's not having "faux" sympathy. And had she been my daughter, I would be mad at her for going to a college party and getting so drunk. And when I was going to Brown University in the late 1970's, I knew better than to go to the keg parties at the frat houses. And I also, know that any compliments from a man at a party like that or at a night club was more an effort to get into my pants than actually wanting to get into a relationship with me and become my boyfriend or husband. I was also able to get backstage at many rock concerts in the 1980's. And since I stayed sober and drug-free at these gatherings, and no one ever tried to sexually assault me.

And back to chaperones... well the human brain isn't fully developed until the age of 25. The frontal cortex is the last to develop and that where the decision making process is. And it's why males before the age of 25 have such high auto insurance rates. Young men are prone to making bad impulsive decisions. Add to that, men are just more sexually motivated creatures than women. That's just a fact of life.
Wow, another woman making excuses for Brock. Pathetic.

The fact that there isn't more concern for how a man can't control his desire to rape a woman instead of protect her when she's at her most vulnerable is pretty disturbing and extremely telling about those who think that way, especially women.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:38 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
She chose to get drunk. It's like driving while drunk. If you choose to do that, you increase your chances of bad things happening.
He chose to drink and was drunk and he should be able to control himself and not rape people.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:42 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Nice response, you got called out and don't have a rebuttal.

And in the real world, men should also be held accountable for their actions and decisions.
"Like I said, you can tell guys all you want, when they're drunk, all bets are off, that goes for both men and women. Take that up with men who actually think like that.

I've personally scolded my guy friends who did that stuff. I remember my best friend when he was single, grabbed some girl's backside and she went off on him. He got mad and I laid into him for doing and reacting to it. But not every drunk guy has a friend like that.

But at the same time, dressing like that only enables it. Continually putting yourself in that situation enables it. I'm sorry, but that's how it is. Girls complain about these guys, yet continue to hang out and party with them, while dressing skanky. Again, Halloween is a fitting example."

I agree with the above quote. Guess who wrote it?

Old 06-08-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Turner has gotten booted out of Stanford, he's now a sex offender for life, his reputation ruined for life, and for someone of his background and upbringing, six months in jail will have much greater effect on him than throwing someone from an inner city into the slammer for six months. And again, it costs the taxpayers money to lock people up. California spends $62300 per inmate annually for jail time. Turner will be costing California taxpayers $31,150 for the six months he is locked up. Add to that the legal expenses for the trial.

California Spends $62,300 to Keep Inmate in Jail Per Year, $9,200 to Educate Child in K-12 School

And I suspect that some of you haters would like Turner to spend years in prison, getting raped by other inmates just to satisfy your need for an eye for an eye type of blood justice. When instead, you should be making sure that you are teaching your sons to always show respect to women, no matter what the situation, that "no means no". And to teach your daughters to not put themselves at risk in ANY situation. Never trust that a man's intentions are in her best interests. These days, everyone says that they welcome diversity, but it does come at a cost to the women in our society. I do see that many people seem to be unaware that with all the different cultures in America, we have the intermingling of groups with different degrees of moralities in their lifestyle. I see at my job, that those from south of the border like to be very flirty and sexy, the men are especially macho. One young woman got a ride after work to her boyfriend's house and the driver still tried to plant a kiss on her lips! But the Asians at work are more reserved in their behaviour and want none of that sort of interaction. So again, teach your children to be considerate of others, that it's not one lifestyle fits all in America.
So we're haters because we would to see a rapist get the same prison sentence someone who's poor and/or a minority probably would've gotten? The same treatment Brian Banks got? When someone pulls the "hater" card, they've lost.

And the bold speaks volumes. And it's part of the problem. As far as your rant about different cultures...sheesh.

You're really going to bat for Brock. Please try to raise your standards.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
"But at the same time, dressing like that only enables it. Continually putting yourself in that situation enables it. I'm sorry, but that's how it is. Girls complain about these guys, yet continue to hang out and party with them, while dressing skanky."
Emily Doe did not "continually" party or put herself in "that stiuation." She did not dress like a "skank" that night. What does that quote have to do with her?

Old 06-08-2016, 09:51 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:

No. It's not having "faux" sympathy. And had she been my daughter, I would be mad at her for going to a college party and getting so drunk. And when I was going to Brown University in the late 1970's, I knew better than to go to the keg parties at the frat houses. And I also, know that any compliments from a man at a party like that or at a night club was more an effort to get into my pants than actually wanting to get into a relationship with me and become my boyfriend or husband. I was also able to get backstage at many rock concerts in the 1980's. And since I stayed sober and drug-free at these gatherings, and no one ever tried to sexually assault me.

And back to chaperones... well the human brain isn't fully developed until the age of 25. The frontal cortex is the last to develop and that where the decision making process is. And it's why males before the age of 25 have such high auto insurance rates. Young men are prone to making bad impulsive decisions. Add to that, men are just more sexually motivated creatures than women. That's just a fact of life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

Wow, another woman making excuses for Brock. Pathetic.

The fact that there isn't more concern for how a man can't control his desire to rape a woman instead of protect her when she's at her most vulnerable is pretty disturbing and extremely telling about those who think that way, especially women.

what a brilliant exchange! (I really mean that, no sarc.) this well represents a the class of views here.

See the thing is the rapist is a rapist and should be treated as such. no question about that. but ATG5 is utterly missing the point being made by a woman who came of age in the 70s.

We taught people stuff back then that we aren't teaching people now. the 70s was a wild time and men and women were doing things that a generation before was utterly verboten. BUT they owned their own actions. why? because they had been taught to do so. CULTURE demanded responsibility.

now we are raising kids that will go do all manner of things... not so much differently from the 60s and 70s but the big difference is, we have utterly abandoned the requirement that we own our actions.

The guy in this case is a rapist but even in the trial, they are looking for not harming him poor baby. (that sound is me puking). society never did demand responsibility from this guy so why would he think it will now?

The girl was doing what is utterly acceptable and as a society we don't even stop to say things to her like what Miu said above....

this is no excuse for rape and it is not blaming the victim. but we have to recognize as a society we are moving in the wrong direction. we need to stop.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:57 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Emily Doe did not "continually" party or put herself in "that stiuation." She did not dress like a "skank" that night. What does that quote have to do with her?
I can't speak to Emily Doe's situation as I don't know the details.

It was horrible she was raped. I think the rapist got off easy with 6 months.

The quote is ATG5's, by the way.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
"Like I said, you can tell guys all you want, when they're drunk, all bets are off, that goes for both men and women. Take that up with men who actually think like that.

I've personally scolded my guy friends who did that stuff. I remember my best friend when he was single, grabbed some girl's backside and she went off on him. He got mad and I laid into him for doing and reacting to it. But not every drunk guy has a friend like that.

But at the same time, dressing like that only enables it. Continually putting yourself in that situation enables it. I'm sorry, but that's how it is. Girls complain about these guys, yet continue to hang out and party with them, while dressing skanky. Again, Halloween is a fitting example."

I agree with the above. Guess who wrote it?
Oh, I see that the door was unlocked.

Thanks for sharing, I guess, but you're obviously not sorry. You probably got that from a post I wrote back in 2012 and 2013. I've matured in my thought processes, you should try it. I'm 27, some people are capable of evolving in their thinking, as they better understand things.

What I care about is men not acting like men and helping vulnerable women and instead taking advantage of them sexually.

Whether it's a woman who was "asking for it" or a conservatively-dressed woman who was simply walking to her car after work and was assaulted, you know what the one common denominator is? A man raping her.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:04 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
I can't speak to Emily Doe's situation as I don't know the details.

It was horrible she was raped. I think the rapist got off easy with 6 months.

The quote is ATG5's, by the way.
You keep saying you do not know the details. Why not? They're not difficult to find. There are articles all over the place.

Whatever you and ATG5 believe about party girls and skanks is irrelevant to this situation, but you would know that if you bothered to read about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies