Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 09:19 AM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
How do places like Germany and Japan make so many of the parts that go into a phone? Cheaper labor?
No. The opposite. They are paid well for the work they do, and they are often represented by a strong union. They are also held to a higher standard.

If US corporations held their workforce to a higher standard, they would also be forced to pay more.

At the end of the day though, America just sucks at manufacturing things. How it came to be this way is largely irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 09:20 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
Believe me i would love people to make a decent living. However, i just don't think i could afford an iPhone at $2000.00.
Why do people feel entitled to own an iPhone? There are many phones that are much cheaper.

If you can't afford one, don't buy it.

That's one of the problems I see today. Everyone thinks they deserve to have the best of everything. Used to be, if a person couldn't afford the best, they bought the next best, or the cheapest.

Now I see people in their 20s driving Mercedes, Porsches, etc. I know damn well they can't really afford those cars. Why won't they drive something they can afford? Because everyone thinks they are entitled to the best.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

The jobs leave and along with it the competition and prices go up. I also bought a portable heater not long ago. The one I bought was made in the USA. It was no more than the made in China ones.
Yup. About six or seven years ago I went shopping for a hamper. Nothing fancy, just a plain wicker hamper.

I think it was Bed, Bath and Beyond that had a couple. One was made in China and one in the US (I make the effort to check where things are made before I buy).

The one made in China was already falling apart just sitting on the shelf!

Both were the same price. Of course, I bought the one made here. Still in use; not falling apart.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:26 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
What you are forgetting the extra cost of Government for example, high corporate taxes and Obama care to name a few. Unfair trade deals like Nafta to name a few.
But, there is also the fact that most other countries have universal health care, so employers do not have to pay for that.

American employers have always had to incorporate the cost of employee health insurance and healthcare into their costs. This was prior to Obamacare, as well.

Health care for employees has always cost US employers more than other countries, or at least since the 80s when the cost of both health insurance and health care started dramatically increasing.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If he were to do that he would simply stop selling clothes because he would never be able to compete.
So, he wants OTHER companies to return to the US, but he won't do the same. That is insanity, pure and simple.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Wait a minute ........ Private people in the USA BURN coal ? How backwards is that ?
Ummm... there is people that burn it in Canada too. This is not the same coal used for power plants, it's anthracite and compared to wood or pellets is superior in every way. You can burn it in close urban environment, I lived 1 block from homes that cost $500K+ to give you a clue. While it's not quite as convenient as oil or natural gas it's generally much cheaper. As little as 1/3 the cost when energy prices are up.

Whatever perception you have in you mind is completely wrong. This boiler is labeled biofuel because it can burn wood or corn. About 9 grand on a pallet but you only buy it once, it will literally outlast you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQT6CVC2sOc

Old 06-12-2016, 09:43 AM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
So, he wants OTHER companies to return to the US, but he won't do the same. That is insanity, pure and simple.
No, he wants to become president, so he can level the playing field. China subsidizes a huge portion of their industry, and it has been killing US industry for decades. They also dump much of their industrial waste in their own backyard, or in the ocean. Again, this gives them another advantage when competing against US manufacturers. US exploits this by signing trade deals that benefit us as consumers, but hurt pretty much everyone else in the process.

Other countries make an effort to preserve domestic industry via import taxes, tariffs, etc. China certainly does. Yet the US touts the free market, as if that's what we really have. Ya right.

Trump is wise to make his product in China, under the current conditions and circumstances. He would probably have a difficult time making any money trying to get his products made domestically.

The fact is, industry is not treated like an asset worth preserving in this country.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Trump does not care where those shirts are made. His only concern is can he make a profit. Selling them for low margins, for free or even at a loss is not his goal. If he can't make a profit off them produced in the US the only other alternative for him is to simply not sell shirts. Get it? That's just business... you have to profit and remain competitive.

If he doesn't sell Chinese made shirts he's going to lose whatever profit he is making off them and whatever jobs there are here in the US involved with that business also go bye bye. We need to change the reasons he can't make a profit off them so he can make them here.

Let me ask you something, be honest. What brand shoe are you wearing?

Old 06-12-2016, 09:48 AM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
I don't recall when we had a lot of manufacturing jobs done in this country decades ago that prices were high.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:04 AM

This past Christmas I bought my Father a leather jacket. Most made in the US were priced well out of my budget range at $600+, I ended up getting one for $300+ that was made in the US. Quality is superb but I could get one at the leather shop marginally less quality for about $100.... It's the only one they had that wasn't 100% motorcycle jacket.

American made Jean Leather Jacket, crafted from 1.0-1.2 mm (2½-3 oz) Top Grain Cowhide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies