Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 06:48 AM

128 posts, read 93,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Do want you want to pay people to make Redwing boots a decent living that can then afford $300 boots or one person a low wage to stock the shelves at Wally World with Chinese made boots?
Believe me i would love people to make a decent living. However, i just don't think i could afford an iPhone at $2000.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 06:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
I don't believe this for a second. I've used this example before. No, one example does not make for the norm but........

I went shoe shopping with my wife. I picked up a pair of plastic shoes. $50. Made in China. No one can convince me that we can not make plastic shoes here profitably at $50. At one point this might have been different but that is how it works.

The jobs leave and along with it the competition and prices go up. I also bought a portable heater not long ago. The one I bought was made in the USA. It was no more than the made in China ones.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:58 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
Eddiehaskell.

That diagram has a big hole in it.........

It doesn't mention Canada, which is the biggest trading partner of the US.......

We two nations do MORE business with each other, than the next FIVE countries in the lineup, combined.

For that reason alone, I call BS on the data contained in it.

JimB.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
But it would cause more pollution.
That's not necessarily true especially when you consider things that can affect the entire world. Coal plants here in the US are much more efficient and much cleaner. Mercury for example will increase as production goes to China, even before the recent regulations US coal plants accounted for less that 1% of the global pool. About 50% is produced from Asia, primarily China. Mercury pollution is not localized.

If CO2 is a concern to you China has a carbon intensity about double the US, that means products made in China are going double the CO2 emissions compared to those made in the US. That's before you factor in increased emissions for transportation.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
LOL, I'll believe Trump when he closes his clothing factories in China and brings their manufacture back to the US.
If he were to do that he would simply stop selling clothes because he would never be able to compete.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:09 AM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't believe this for a second. I've used this example before. No, one example does not make for the norm but........

I went shoe shopping with my wife. I picked up a pair of plastic shoes. $50. Made in China. No one can convince me that we can not make plastic shoes here profitably at $50. At one point this might have been different but that is how it works.

The jobs leave and along with it the competition and prices go up. I also bought a portable heater not long ago. The one I bought was made in the USA. It was no more than the made in China ones.

The heater was likely just assembled here, and being a firmly shaped device of routine, rectangular shape, that would be easy to do with an automated machine, avoiding most US labor content. US mfg has gotten terrific at sharply reducing labor content per unit requirements via automation. Not sure that can be done with boots or shoes due to irregular shape, flimsy material, etc.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:12 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
Believe me i would love people to make a decent living. However, i just don't think i could afford an iPhone at $2000.00.
It wouldn't be that drastic, but if the citizens of India can afford nearly a $1000 for it, then there should be no reason that Americans couldn't.

iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s Price in India Slashed | NDTV Gadgets360.com

Old 06-12-2016, 07:13 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
I haven't read anything about this yet. But the first thing that would need to be done is to give many many business tax incentives that have been taken away over the years. Stronger employment credits for instance. It's hard for a business to want to stay here when the cost of building overseas is so much cheaper. And the public doesn't seem to care enough about quality (in general) to spend 50% more for the same item if it had a Made in USA stamp on it.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The heater was likely just assembled here, and being a firmly shaped device of routine, rectangular shape, that would be easy to do with an automated machine, avoiding most US labor content. US mfg has gotten terrific at sharply reducing labor content per unit requirements via automation. Not sure that can be done with boots or shoes due to irregular shape, flimsy material, etc.
We can profitably make $50 plastic shoes. The heater was manufactured here.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I I also bought a portable heater not long ago. The one I bought was made in the USA. It was no more than the made in China ones.
Here is a direct quote from an acquaintance of mine that makes coal stoves. To put this into perspective this was summer of 2008 when energy costs were sky rocketing and he had about 6 months of back orders.

Quote:
In January a company came to me about having all of our stoves made in China. They would be shipped to LLS boxed and ready to sell. This at a much bigger profit than I could ever make working the way we do. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AS LONG AS I OWN LLS. I DON'T CARE HOW FAR BEHIND WE GET. THANKS.
This is a small company that employs perhaps 10 people. He's stand up guy but actually has this option because there is no foreign competitors in his market. If one of his competitors takes this deal then what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies