Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 02:21 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Flipping burgers is probably more fun than assembling phones. At least they can talk and there is no pressure from the ever-running assembly line.
And I don't see a lot of young Americans (especially white ones) to flip burgers either.

Great, so there is no problem then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 02:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Depends on if it is made well and made to last. So much stuff now is made to fall apart, why pay more.
Actually it's the well made US products where you still have healthy competition. The advantages the Chinese have become less of an issue when they need to compete on that level. You can buy a Harman pellet stove for about 4 grand and get good use out if for decades or you can buy the Chinese made one at Home depot for about $1K but it's going to be broke in 5 years... The problem is the consumer shops for price and not their brain.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:26 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
LOL! Chinese companies violate patent rights all the time. They have been doing it, and getting away with it famously, for decades.

Germany can afford to pay their workers more because they have better equipment, import taxes/tariffs and they know what the hell they are doing. Manufacturing is a respectable occupation in Germany, so they have better quality workers to choose from. In America, young people go to college so they don't have to endure awful, low paying, unrewarding careers like the majority found in manufacturing. Hence, manufacturers are stuck with poorly qualified, largely useless workers.
I don't see why the US can't take a few pointers from Germany.

- Implement import taxes/tariffs
- Invest in better equipment
- Promote trades to high school students so that more of them opt to go to trade school

Old 06-12-2016, 02:37 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't see why the US can't take a few pointers from Germany.

- Implement import taxes/tariffs
- Invest in better equipment
- Promote trades to high school students so that more of them opt to go to trade school
Because if you want nice things, you have to pay for them. And Americans are comparably cheap.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:47 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Actually it's the well made US products where you still have healthy competition. The advantages the Chinese have become less of an issue when they need to compete on that level. You can buy a Harman pellet stove for about 4 grand and get good use out if for decades or you can buy the Chinese made one at Home depot for about $1K but it's going to be broke in 5 years... The problem is the consumer shops for price and not their brain.
Nowadays how many people keep an item for 5 years? It's their marketing strategy to make things cheap, dictated by US companies.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:18 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
And you paid about $200 to $300 for them right? While I'm glad you are buying products in the US most people are not going to buy $200+ footwear. You can buy a pair of Red Wing boots for about $280, an almost identical boot from their Chinese made division Worx is $120.
No, I paid around $60 for them. They were on sale, though. I think the original price was $85 maybe?

You quote prices for boots, which are typically more expensive than shoes.

Besides, 'almost identical' means nothing, really. They can LOOK identical, but what grade of leather is used? How are the boots put together; stitching or glue? There can be many variables that aren't readily seen.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:30 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Actually it's the well made US products where you still have healthy competition. The advantages the Chinese have become less of an issue when they need to compete on that level..
My Samsung Galaxy S7 is very high quality and it's made in various asian countries. Samsung TVs are very high quality and are made in South Korea.

China, Viet Nam, South Korea and others make some very high quality products.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:46 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How does Trump force Google to move the production of I-Phones back to the US, does he wave a wand and click his heels. I thought he was a free market guy.

Assuming he could, how does Apple compete with Samsung.

Once again he has proven that he is a novice.
Reciprocal trade restrictions. China greatly restricts the flow of goods from the US to itself (same with Europe). Trump would need to write a new restriction that mimics China's own policies. Same thing with Japan and our cars. It's not quite as simple as that though because many foreign auto makers have plants in the US to prevent those reciprocal tariffs and restrictions.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
No, I paid around $60 for them. They were on sale, though. I think the original price was $85 maybe?
LL bean only has one pair of shoes listed as made in the US and they are $209. The only thing they have in the price range you are suggesting is wet weather gear for the snow.

Men's Shoes and Boots Made in the USA | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Quote:
Besides, 'almost identical' means nothing, really. They can LOOK identical, but what grade of leather is used? How are the boots put together; stitching or glue? There can be many variables that aren't readily seen.
I own a pair of Red Wing boots and the quality of their Chinese made product is very similar, it may not be quite as good but if you are looking at just price there is no way you could justify the additional expense.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:53 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times
how do people answer this question if they don't have a choice?

what computers are made in the US? come to think of it, what electronics device is made in the US? are there any left at all?

I know that on the RARE occasion I have a choice between made in China/Mexico, etc or made in the US, I will pay more.

Even my Japanese car is made in Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies