Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 03:48 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times

Advertisements

Of course they knew there were gators in that lake. I just called my relative who worked as an attraction manager at one of the parks. They had spotters all over the place and a response team at the ready to remove gators and other dangerous animals when they posed a threat, which I already knew but wanted to verify. Disney staff also routinely swept the lakes and waterways for nuisance animals.

As for the poster who talked about common sense, how about the "common sense" that inspired the flagship Disney resort to promote the beach as a viewing area for the electric light parade that started just about the time the gator attacked? Think about it. Everyone's eyes on brightly-lit floats across the lagoon, which screws up your dark adaptation in addition to creating a distraction. Nobody had a chance of seeing an alligator stalking the beach. And why exactly was the resort promoting an event near the lagoon at dusk with no staff members actively monitoring the situation for dangers? The life guard was apparently not on the beach.

No culpability, my ***. Even if Disney isn't found legally responsible for the tragedy, they're completely responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 03:58 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Of course they knew there were gators in that lake. I just called my relative who worked as an attraction manager at one of the parks. They had spotters all over the place and a response team at the ready to remove gators and other dangerous animals when they posed a threat, which I already knew but wanted to verify. Disney staff also routinely swept the lakes and waterways for nuisance animals.

As for the poster who talked about common sense, how about the "common sense" that inspired the flagship Disney resort to promote the beach as a viewing area for the electric light parade that started just about the time the gator attacked? Think about it. Everyone's eyes on brightly-lit floats across the lagoon, which screws up your dark adaptation in addition to creating a distraction. Nobody had a chance of seeing an alligator stalking the beach. And why exactly was the resort promoting an event near the lagoon at dusk with no staff members actively monitoring the situation for dangers? The life guard was apparently not on the beach.

No culpability, my ***. Even if Disney isn't found legally responsible for the tragedy, they're completely responsible.
Sorry, nothing personal, but this is nonsense.

At what point are the parents responsible for a child wandering into a body of water with clear signs that say "no swimming" and not taking immediate action before it could even reach a point where that child's life is endanger?

Disney owes them nothing IMO, and the father should have been arrested. Mistakes happen, but the negligence cost this child his life.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:06 PM

Because it was dark, at alligator feeding time, and the beach was promoted to guest families as a viewing area for the light parade, which creates a major distraction and impairs night vision. Plus, there were no staff members monitoring the water for dangers. The father was not negligent. He was with his son at the water's edge where they were not swimming but rather watching the parade together. Really, this is basic risk mitigation for a theme park, something they do everywhere else on property with raised, fenced walkways to keep people from wandering too near the lagoon. Sorry. You're 100% wrong.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:16 PM

569 posts, read 671,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Sorry, nothing personal, but this is nonsense.

At what point are the parents responsible for a child wandering into a body of water with clear signs that say "no swimming" and not taking immediate action before it could even reach a point where that child's life is endanger?

Disney owes them nothing IMO, and the father should have been arrested. Mistakes happen, but the negligence cost this child his life.
I don't agree with arresting the father or that Disney is free from all responsibility. BUT I am very surprised that there is not more caution around ANY AND ALL bodies of water where alligators *could* reside. It boggles my mind that anyone thinks a body of water in Florida (or other areas with gators) is OF COURSE gator free cause its on Disney property. I also hope the alligator is not harmed. It was just doing what alligators do. I do think the parents should have used a bit more caution around a body of water and such a small child. Not necessarily because of fear of being killed by an alligator but drowning or other accident.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Because it was dark, at alligator feeding time, and the beach was promoted to guest families as a viewing area for the light parade, which creates a major distraction and impairs night vision. Plus, there were no staff members monitoring the water for dangers. The father was not negligent. He was with his son at the water's edge where they were not swimming but rather watching the parade together. Really, this is basic risk mitigation for a theme park, something they do everywhere else on property with raised, fenced walkways to keep people from wandering too near the lagoon. Sorry. You're 100% wrong.
Nope, you're just not making any sense IMO. They were "distracted?"

Staff are required to monitor the waters for dangers? Do we really need the physical presence of someone to monitor our every move because we lack the common sense not to heed danger despite the obvious signs?

A 2 year old, "wading" in a lagoon at 9 pm with clearly marked signs that state "no swimming" doesn't trigger alarms for you as a parent to keep the child away from there? Again, it's just common sense.

What would go through your head to walk comfortably past a sign at a lagoon that says "no swimming" and then think that it's perfectly fine to go in the water anyway?

Either way, he was negligent given the fact that he had the child in the water in the first place and obviously his attention was diverted enough to the point that the child could not be fully protected.

And this isn't about a fence or people wandering "too near" the lagoon. This is a father, who walked right by a sign that read "no swimming" (probably in red letters) and decided to allow a child to splash around in it at 9 pm. Again, what do-do brain would do that?

If he and the child had climbed the fence--your logic would state that the fence wasn't high enough to begin with ....at what point is this just a case of bad decision making?

Sorry you're dead wrong. He's responsible. A little common sense goes a long ways.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:21 PM

The father was actively supervising the child. What he was not doing was watching for alligators, not that it was in any way likely that he'd have spotted one stalking the beach after dark.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
I don't agree with arresting the father or that Disney is free from all responsibility. BUT I am very surprised that there is not more caution around ANY AND ALL bodies of water where alligators *could* reside. It boggles my mind that anyone thinks a body of water in Florida (or other areas with gators) is OF COURSE gator free cause its on Disney property. I also hope the alligator is not harmed. It was just doing what alligators do. I do think the parents should have used a bit more caution around a body of water and such a small child. Not necessarily because of fear of being killed by an alligator but drowning or other accident.
I'll disagree on the idea of Disney having any responsibility in any of this.

I could see if the alligator had done something as abnormal to crawl into a pool or something, but the man took the child past a warning sign that precisely stated "no swimming." And I would imagine the sign would be placed there for a number of reasons and meanings related to variety of potential fatal outcomes such as possible drownings, alligators in the water, snakes in the water etc.

IMPO "no swimming" covers all bases of providing a warning for any possible or potential danger. To me a "no swimming" sign is interpeted as saying "stay out of the water--period" no further detail needed.

Like I said before, if I go to Yellowstone National Park, and a sign reads "do not feed the bears"

I don't need another sign or a more detailed sign to tell me not to antagonize them, pet them or annoy them in any way.

It's just common sense, and a general expectation that I don't

Old 06-16-2016, 04:50 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default Bad light, bad target

Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
Concealed carry would have been one solution to the problem!
& do what? Draw & fire? If the critter already had the child in its jaws, there's no clear shot. Other entries in this thread say it was @ night, & only the gator's eyes show above water when it's stalking. & that the part of the beach that father & son were on wasn't lit very well, or possibly not @ all.

Under those conditions, the father would have done better with a knife. & even with a clear shot & a good bead on the target, they're on a lagoon. Any miss, & the bullet will move unpredictably after hitting the water. I don't know enough about the skull of an alligator - would one shot kill it, or discourage it enough to let go of the boy? Would a .38 special be sufficient? Would he have needed a .45, or a .357? Too many imponderables, not enough data.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:00 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
Think DW will be posting better warning signs -but all must know this is Florida- the last gator bite at DW was 30 yrs ago and you can see them on the sides of splash mountain. they don't just be in the water... this is the point -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXOd48PQFwc

Old 06-16-2016, 06:52 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
People are literally suggesting that their lack of common sense should be held accountable by someone else.

"The signs say don't feed the bears....but it doesn't say say not to pet them"

Oh but there's a sign that says "thin ice, no skating" but it doesn't mean that I can't stand on it

It's just common sense. "No Swimming" obviously means stay out of the water. For whatever intention, at no time I would even think of going into a body of water that says "no swimming."

I don't know where you live, but your post indicates you either live in a state of really strict rules without variation, or you live in a state of fear where paranoia has you thinking that a sign saying "No swimming allowed" means one better not ever put their toes in water of any depth.

I live near a man made lake where they have someone on guard watching everyone. "No Swimming Allowed" signs are posted everywhere. People sit in the water, stand in the water, and it's not a problem. The no swimming rule is probably a result of it being a small lake and them allowing paddle boats.

So rap everyone on the knuckles and scream all you want that rules are rules and everybody better follow them, but don't expect people to follow you down anal alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies