Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 02:40 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
And do you know how many people I have seen wander out into bear country for a weekend in the woods totally unprepared to set up a bear-safe campsite, leaving food and other attractants accessible? These people are not stupid, just ignorant. They don't know what they don't know.
You can't fix stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 03:52 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The child was NOT unattended. The father was close enough that he was able to reach the alligator and fight for his son. If you've ever seen how fast an alligator moves, you'd know that he had to be right on top of his child for this to be possible. Alligators will take small dogs right off the end of a leash. They're bold and lightning fast. The father is definitely not to blame for this. I'm not entirely sure Disney is either, but they'll pay regardless. They've already started the dance. Trust me.
Exactly, and they're not unattended. Gators are barely visible when they're stalking prey along the water's edge. The only thing above water is their eyes.

But look at how many people don't understand and realize the risk.

Whereas, in the Cincinnati zoo case, the parents could SEE the low fence surrounding the enclosure, and the fact that it contained a gorilla.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:01 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
It looks like Disney needs to change that beach. You can't set up an entire beach scene and then be surprised when someone puts their toes in the water.
We are big rule followers, and I wouldn't have thought "no swimming" meant no putting feet at the edge. Especially in a perfectly manicured beach setting. And being from an area without alligators, I wouldn't have realized the risk
So sad.
Exactly.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:22 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,033,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
^^This. People feed bears, rattlesnakes, want to pet the moose... A couple of years ago some folks climbed a fence around a fast moving stream and ignored the "Slick Rocks - No Wading" sign and were promptly washed over the waterfall downstream and killed.
Something is very wrong with American psyche. Everyone is entitled; everyone thinks rules apply to everyone but them. Everyone thinks their screaming kids in supermarkets are cute. Everyone thinks their off-leash dogs won't hurt anyone.

I'm not saying any of that is the case with this incident. Disney, of all places on earth, is supposed to be a safe, happy place for children. They need to pay through the nose and then pay again. I don't say that lightly; I'm usually against lawsuits. This happened with no warning and no alligator warning signs. It's a place that depends on tourists, who might not know the area. The visitors have every right to assume Disney is safe, barring some ridiculous accident.

This is 100% like the movie Jaws where they didn't want to shut down the beach for fear of losing seasonal income. Disney needs to suffer for this terribly sad and horrific death.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:24 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,807,707 times
OK call me stupid - but I had no idea that you would find gators on Disney property. We live in NY - I'm learning more about the South now only because my son moved there but I honestly would not have believed or thought they had gators there except maybe in the Animal Kingdom portion and then those would be contained like at the marine parks and zoos.

You have man made lakes that I didn't realize they could get into. I've had many friends and relatives that go to Disney every year - no one has ever mentioned anything about alligators on the property - so I was clueless.

I do feel for the parents and do not hold them responsible. Yes it was probably after the little boy's bedtime - but we're on vacation to Disney - something they may have done only once in their lifetime.

To know this is the 1st time this has happened tho in all these years - does confirm how on top of the problem Disney has been. It doesn't excuse what happened and I do believe there should be signs.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:52 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Regarding the bedtime, the family was from Nebraska, which means that they were from a western time zone, either one or two hours off (I haven't checked). I'm wired well into the night every time we visit Florida, not only because it's vacation, but also because the time zones do not sync up with my regularly scheduled bedtime.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:13 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Really sad, but I also hope the family sues the butt off Disney. You go to a theme park and pay as much money as people do today, and your 2 year old is killed by one of the attractions?
Is this always the solution for you? Sue for everything? Alligators are everywhere in the south.
Everyone with a brain knows this. Ignorance of that fact can be fatal. No one is to blame for this terrible incident, except mother nature.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:37 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
OK call me stupid - but I had no idea that you would find gators on Disney property. We live in NY - I'm learning more about the South now only because my son moved there but I honestly would not have believed or thought they had gators there except maybe in the Animal Kingdom portion and then those would be contained like at the marine parks and zoos.

You have man made lakes that I didn't realize they could get into. I've had many friends and relatives that go to Disney every year - no one has ever mentioned anything about alligators on the property - so I was clueless.

I do feel for the parents and do not hold them responsible. Yes it was probably after the little boy's bedtime - but we're on vacation to Disney - something they may have done only once in their lifetime.

To know this is the 1st time this has happened tho in all these years - does confirm how on top of the problem Disney has been. It doesn't excuse what happened and I do believe there should be signs.

Assume that in nearly every body of water from mid-South Carolina south, that there are gators and water moccasins in it. Disney cleared the property of gators when it was built, but obviously, animals can move and will occupy favorable environments. If one goes to southern Florida, there are crocs and hybrids of American and African crocs that are VERY AGRESSIVE.

We go to South Carolina every year and have played on golf courses throughout the south. There are always gators in ponds. A few of my relatives in Jacksonville have had gators and water moccasins appear in thier pools.

We hike quite a bit in the national parks. Know your environment before you go to any area prepare for wildlife risks, proper clothing, food and water and you will be okay. I ahve seen tourists try to approach and pet Big Horn Sheep in Zion and pronghorns in Bryce. People need to understand that wild animals can harm you and to give them space. Heck- I won't allow anyone to go out into my woods unless they are in pairs and armed due to the presence of mountain lions.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:38 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You can't fix stupid.
This would be more like thinning the herd.

Sorry for this families loss.........the sign should have indicated why there is No Swimming!

Old 06-16-2016, 06:39 AM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
I believe if they knew, which apparently Disney World did.. they should have posted a sign. Alligators in the lagoon.. That would have kept anyone from even going to the edge of the water. This boy would be alive.

No Swimming is just not good enough. The sign was not strong enough for the danger that lurks there.

I now live in Florida.. My neighbor told me to watch out for my dog because an alligator could attack it. I was surprised.

We have fresh water canals in my area so it is not impossible that a dog could be attacked or a small child.. I have seen one alligator a few miles from my home as I was driving in a remote part of my town and I saw a large alligator on someones front lawn.. the mouth was taped and the men were taking it away.. the locals tell me during mating season the large males move around looking for a female.. alligators have been seen on major highways .

I don't think it would be nice to walk out and see an alligator on your front lawn but it can happen but it is a rare occurrence.
Now I know why all my neighbors put all their outside lights on .. they don't want to walk up to an alligator at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies