Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:04 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Are you for real?

The family is from Nebraska, not another planet. If they weren't aware that the entire damn state of FL used to be a swamp, or that alligators are in virtually every lake, pond, creek, or canal there, then how about this: Don't let your toddler wander around unattended. That was the common denominator in both the gorilla and gator incidents.
I agree. I worked with tourists a lot when I was in college and I can tell you that most of them just don't think. They aren't focused on their surroundings - which is why they are an easy target for pickpockets. I live in L.A. and tourists like to hike around the Hollywood sign - they let their kids wander away, wear sandals and completely ignore the "Warning - Rattlesnakes" signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 08:05 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
my initial thought was that this was an unfortunate and blameless tragedy but I've been reading many accounts that there have been frequent near misses and at least one attack in the past and that Disney was well aware of the danger to the guests but apparently don't want to mention alligators in their warnings...gee, wonder why. Hope they get their comeuppance in due time...

One employee at the Disney property who did not want to be identified said in an email "there is such a problem on property with guests feeding the alligators thinking it's cool." Visitors at Buena Vista Palace regularly feed two of them from the balconies, he said.

Alligators a frequent sight at Disney World - Orlando Sentinel

^^This. People feed bears, rattlesnakes, want to pet the moose... A couple of years ago some folks climbed a fence around a fast moving stream and ignored the "Slick Rocks - No Wading" sign and were promptly washed over the waterfall downstream and killed.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:14 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
It's not politics but I thought that some here would like to know?

I am feeling pretty low right now.

Disney gator attack: 2-year-old Nebraska boy found dead - CNN.com
Me too. I feel for those parents.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:19 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,418,936 times
If only so many resources and attention went to kids killed by humans...

If this kid was killed by a stray bullet in Chicago, it would have been a one morning, one sentence subject line on CNN or something, if ever in the news at all.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:24 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
It's just a figure of speech, no need to get upset.
If it helps, I liked it

Old 06-15-2016, 08:58 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,856,597 times
Very sad

Old 06-15-2016, 09:26 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times
I don't even have the words to talk about this one, poor baby.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:27 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
I think folks going after the parents are being unfair. They're on vacation in Disneyworld, there's a lifeguard not telling anyone to stay out of the water, and the only sign that's posted informs you there's no swimming.

There's going to be a presumption of safety since there are no indicators signaling otherwise.

And that's going to be the argument used in court if it even gets that far.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:44 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
I do not blame the parents, and I do not blame Disney. The wildlife people said there are about 1.3 million gators in Florida's waters, and that lake is 17 sq miles of connecting lakes. Every single body of water has them. You can't barricade them. People visit Florida and we have animals. the other day a small cougar type flew by a lady on the nature walk? And all is in the news, how many threads right here talk about it? It is tragic. Horrible! But some one just did not know nor think ahead. And something horrible happened. I think they assumed Disney had some protection from the natural environment. In the site there is no swimming displayed on the amenities. Only pools. Would you wonder why, when you see the sand? I research a lot, recently visited cocoa beach, never been. I googled the streets view. Shark bites/ man of war , jelly fish and sea lice . We have high bacteria counts, red tide/ high surf/ undertow. It is Florida .

Old 06-15-2016, 09:54 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
It looks like Disney needs to change that beach. You can't set up an entire beach scene and then be surprised when someone puts their toes in the water.
We are big rule followerss, and I wouldn't have thought "no swimming" meant no putting feet at the edge. Especially in a perfectfully manicured beach setting. And being from an area without alligators, I wouldn't have realized the risk
So sad.

For the person asking about the difference in this and the boy who got into the monkey enclosure. It appears this parent was right with his son on beach when the alligator snatched him. The other mom didn't even realize her son was gone until other people noted he was in the enclosure. Both sad situations, but luckily for the zoo mom, her son lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies