Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 04:52 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Feinstein amendment is defeated.

Unilaterally allowing a bureaucracy to strip someone of their rights is not realistic. Both of these amendments would have faced an uphill battle in the courts.
Feinstein's bill allowed someone to appeal their status on the terrorist watch lists. No one would have been stripped of their right to buy a gun without due process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 04:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Banning gun sales to those on "no-fly" list - motion defeated.

So they can't fly on the nation's airlines, but they can go and buy an assault rifle. Great thinking.
Again the Republican amendment that could have easily passed with a little help from the Democrats would have given law enforcement 72 hours to show someone should not be able to purchase a gun.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:55 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
None of these proposals were broad enough for me anyway.

I'm a Republican. I would like to see clip/magazine fed automatic weapons, both long and short barreled, removed from stores and gun shows. They can save all that money on background checks and watch lists, and let people buy the things that will actually allow people to protect themselves and hunt legal game. Like ducks. Deer. Squirrels.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:57 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Feinstein's bill allowed someone to appeal their status on the terrorist watch lists. No one would have been stripped of their right to buy a gun without due process.
This would be the same appeal process Teddy Kennedy had difficulty going through. The Feinstein bill only required "reasonable belief".

Look the fact is the Republican amendment could have passed, 72 hours is more than sufficient to come up probable cause as to why you shouldn't be able to buy a gun. If we are going to be honest here if you should be legally barred from buying a gun what are you doing on the streets to begin with?

Old 06-20-2016, 04:59 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Quote:
The majority of Americans, including gun owners, want tighter gun control laws. Why can't the politicians listen to the people? There will never be improved gun control laws until something like 30,000 a year are killed by guns--oh wait, I guess that's not enough.
Dude, it's a new year. Get some new word-tracks. Guns killed 30,000 people in the US?
I'm shocked at the veracity of those little steel critters.
BTW, politicians are listening. They know what's good for them, and most are voting NO.
Excuse me while I go reload another thousand rounds!

Old 06-20-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
None of these proposals were broad enough for me anyway.

I'm a Republican. I would like to see clip/magazine fed automatic weapons, both long and short barreled, removed from stores and gun shows. They can save all that money on background checks and watch lists, and let people buy the things that will actually allow people to protect themselves and hunt legal game. Like ducks. Deer. Squirrels.
I'm a real Republican. And a resounding NO to your idea. Hunting?

Old 06-20-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I'm watching the Senators mill around smiling and making small talk on C-Span while they vote down anything that might save lives. Bunch of cold-hearted cynical idiots.
Awww, poor dear. However, I'm doing a little smiling though!

Old 06-20-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
gun law changes are never going to happen, that's my conclusion. Let americans enjoy all the violence and death.
10-4

Old 06-20-2016, 05:04 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Cornyn amendment defeated, 53 yes, 47 no. The Democrats had their chance and blew it.
What ever happened to Majority rules?? Ohh I know..the past 7.50 years with GOP demanding super majority to get anything past will come back to haunt them!! Sure They can halt anything actually getting done..and blame Dems for it all..But that behaviour has actually pointed to just why things never get done in DC.. People will work across the aisle..BUT in the end it always comes down to SUPER Majority...MAn it's not surprising electorate nation wide are so angry!!

Politicians are suppose to compromise..but since BO got elected..that word was refused to be uttered by any Republican..and when John Boehner simply refused to utter that word post 2010 election and took over as House Speaker actually exposed what GOPer's were all about..Block/blame/refuse/cause Government shutdowns/The list is actually endless...

I am actually surprised.US was actually able to climb out of that DITCH he was left in back in 2009!! Business/high end rollers are profiting/Jobs ( tho lower end types majority) It's disgraceful really that BO was actually contained to the tenth degree..YET at least USA didn't suffer like other Countries..who used austerity measures..and then after 3-4 years..altered that because AUSTERITY does not work!!

BTW~~ Republican Congress caused implementation of all those major cutbacks due to inability to negotiate budget..and yet they have the nerve to blame BO..It's disgusting as I watched it..but selective memory actual enable some to BLAME BO for that..

GOP wants power..but it's been used to demonize and block any movement on everything..I'm afraid these folks have set a president they will regret..and Yes the past 7.5 years has Produced Heir Trumphft ..THAT's on GOP Congress 100%

Old 06-20-2016, 05:06 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Motion requiring background checks for guns purchased at gun shows -- motion failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies