Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 01:54 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,138,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
My thought process is intelligent to know that there will always be crime and murders in large metropolitan areas.

However, to ignore that crime has decreased is ignorance and to post threads every week about Chicago crime and murder is disingenuous considering there are many cities in this country who have worse issues with crime and murder than Chicago.

I could understand if this was posted in the Chicago forum, but I hardly ever see "there were ______ shootings this weekend" threads in the Chicago forum.
Because they became so frequent, redundant, and inappropriate that they are no longer allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If threads about Chicago's violence issues appear more on this forum than the Chicago forum, then it can be concluded that this is about a political rant.
Well, that and the fact that crime stat threads were so frequent, redundant and toxic that they no longer resulted in productive discussion, so they are no longer allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 01:57 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigproblems View Post
Thanks for your thoughts! Does anyone else have something to add to this?
Let the punishment for murder be death. It wouldn't stop the killing but it would certainly slow it down.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
The main problem is out of wedlock births. Children raised by single mothers with no father figure are....

4X more likely to live in poverty
2X more likely to commit suicide

The Consequences of Fatherlessness | National Center for Fathering

We spend an enormous amount of tax money subsidizing single mothers in the form of food stamps, welfare, child tax deductions, free education, etc. Given the harm their offspring do we spend way more on law enforcement and prisons than we did when out of wedlock births were rare. We are taking money from people who made the right choice to have children in marriage and rewarding people who make bad choices. If a politician even nicely mentions single motherhood they are screamed down.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:19 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
My thought process is intelligent to know that there will always be crime and murders in large metropolitan areas.

However, to ignore that crime has decreased is ignorance and to post threads every week about Chicago crime and murder is disingenuous considering there are many cities in this country who have worse issues with crime and murder than Chicago.

I could understand if this was posted in the Chicago forum, but I hardly ever see "there were ______ shootings this weekend" threads in the Chicago forum.

The murder rate has actually INCREASED. Pay attention.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/01/us...us-cities.html

The Chicago forum? You mean the forum where 95% of the posters live in the Chicago area? Do you know how immune people become to this when you hear about it day after day after day?

I'm not the one starting such threads, by the way. If it bothers you so much, however, you probably shouldn't open the thread because you sound very agitated by the topic.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:20 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Slow weekend. Wait until the 4th of July and we'll see some real Chicago fireworks.
Why are holidays picked as the main time to kill? I ask because this isn't only in Chicago.

Gangland spoke of violence occurring at Salt Lake City's Pioneer Day festivities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB1QFLWMqyA

Old 06-21-2016, 02:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Why are holidays picked as the main time to kill? I ask because this isn't only in Chicago.

Gangland spoke of violence occurring at Salt Lake City's Pioneer Day festivities.

I think people are drinking more, particularly at such events.

When things happen outside those venues, it's easier to get away with since there are usually a lot of police officers covering those events, leaving fewer on the street.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:31 PM

26,511 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
They could also discuss Detroit or St Louis, both of whom have much higher murder rates than Chicago and who would fit their white supremacist ideology due to having large amounts of black citizens.

They pick Chicago because of the president.

I hope those who may come across the thread realize this and also realize that the internet is ground zero today for white supremacist recruitment and dissemination of racist ideology.
As has been pointed out to you:

-Chicago murders are way up this year by 72%.

Chicago's murder rate soars 72% in 2016; shootings up more than 88%

-Chicago is much bigger in terms of population and area than St. Louis and Detroit. You can carve an area out of Chicago with a population BIGGER than St. Louis or Detroit and a HIGHER murder rate.

You see Chicago being a massive city has a large area of middle/upper class neighborhoods with very low crime, but also being a massive city, they have a large area of poor neighborhoods infested with crime as bad as anywhere in the US.

Comparing all of Chicago, the 3rd biggest city and 3rd biggest metro area, to a much smaller area with less middle/upper class neighborhoods is not an apples to apples comparison.

Chicago has a massive area with poverty and horrific crime...that dwarfs a St. Louis, Newark, Flint, and is even bigger than Detroit's blight.

I am not sure why so many liberals can't comprehend basic reality and simple stats. Is it a lack of intelligence, ignorance, a willingness to sheepishly follow their propagandists? I realize propagandists like Maddow must bow to master Obama and would rather sweep the massive blight under the rug than have it dealt with so lives can be saved.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:09 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Because they became so frequent, redundant, and inappropriate that they are no longer allowed.

Well, that and the fact that crime stat threads were so frequent, redundant and toxic that they no longer resulted in productive discussion, so they are no longer allowed.
For that same reason IMO they should be disallowed here.

You all in Chicago IMO are the only ones who should care so much about your shootings and murders.

I also do find it interesting that other cities stats are not brought up so much. IMO there is something wrong with the media in Chicago in regards to the Sun Times and the Tribune in that they want to keep posting weekly shootings and murders as headlines or otherwise important features in the "news."

I lived in Detroit for a while and still live close to Detroit and they don't do that and they have a much higher murder rate than Chicago!

Old 06-21-2016, 03:14 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
For that same reason IMO they should be disallowed here.
What are you trying to hide? The very high Black on Black crime rate in Chicago that neither the Democrats nor Obama (from Chicago) have been able to get under control?

Old 06-21-2016, 03:23 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The main problem is out of wedlock births. Children raised by single mothers with no father figure are....

4X more likely to live in poverty
2X more likely to commit suicide

The Consequences of Fatherlessness | National Center for Fathering

We spend an enormous amount of tax money subsidizing single mothers in the form of food stamps, welfare, child tax deductions, free education, etc. Given the harm their offspring do we spend way more on law enforcement and prisons than we did when out of wedlock births were rare. We are taking money from people who made the right choice to have children in marriage and rewarding people who make bad choices. If a politician even nicely mentions single motherhood they are screamed down.
Sigh...out of wedlock birthrates have increased since the 1970s while crime has decreased. Crime has decreased in every demographic since. Being born out of wedlock doesn't mean that you will grow up and become a criminal.

On suicide, white middle aged men are more likely to commit suicide than other groups. I'm pretty sure a majority of them were not born out of wedlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
As has been pointed out to you:

-Chicago murders are way up this year by 72%.

Chicago's murder rate soars 72% in 2016; shootings up more than 88%

-Chicago is much bigger in terms of population and area than St. Louis and Detroit. You can carve an area out of Chicago with a population BIGGER than St. Louis or Detroit and a HIGHER murder rate.

You see Chicago being a massive city has a large area of middle/upper class neighborhoods with very low crime, but also being a massive city, they have a large area of poor neighborhoods infested with crime as bad as anywhere in the US.

Comparing all of Chicago, the 3rd biggest city and 3rd biggest metro area, to a much smaller area with less middle/upper class neighborhoods is not an apples to apples comparison.

Chicago has a massive area with poverty and horrific crime...that dwarfs a St. Louis, Newark, Flint, and is even bigger than Detroit's blight.

I am not sure why so many liberals can't comprehend basic reality and simple stats. Is it a lack of intelligence, ignorance, a willingness to sheepishly follow their propagandists? I realize propagandists like Maddow must bow to master Obama and would rather sweep the massive blight under the rug than have it dealt with so lives can be saved.
As has been pointed out to you, crime rates, including murder rates are based upon murders committed in comparison to 100,000 citizens. Due to that, it is ridiculous to say that just because a city has a higher amount of citizens that it is more dangerous than another.

Detroit is a much more dangerous city than Chicago on all fronts, as are many other cities like St. Louis, Atlanta, etc., that have been mentioned in the thread. All of them (even Detroit) have middle/upper class neighborhoods with lower crime rates in their municipality.

The bold part of your assertion is pretty funny because the southside of Chicago, like you mentioned, it the MAJORITY of the city land-wise. So based upon that it would make sense if everything you mentioned above is wide spread for its crime rates to be higher than they are. They are not because Chicago is not overly crime ridden like all of you believe. I know you don't want to believe they have low crime rates but they do in comparison to other cities. FWIW, they actually did used to be a "top 10 dangerous city" back in the 70s and 80s and 90s. Things have turned around for Chicago since that time and they no longer are a top 10 most dangerous city statistically. It is unfortunate that many of you just don't want to admit this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What are you trying to hide? The very high Black on Black crime rate in Chicago that neither the Democrats nor Obama (from Chicago) have been able to get under control?
I'm not trying to hide anything....

What would make you say that.

As a black person, I have provided other actual majority black cities as evidence of them having high crime, as did other posters (Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, Atlanta, etc.)

What I am trying to point out to those of you with blinders on your eyes is that you are overly focused on gun control in Chcago, when there is NOT strict gun control in Chicago. The crime rates in Chicago are NOT the highest in the country (and FWIW, there is no such thing as "black on black" crime, crime is crime). So all of your weekly post about Chicago shootings and murders is ridiculous to people who can think and not naively believe every headline they read on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies