Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 06:05 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
How is gun control ever going to work in a place like Chicago, when Indiana is a short drive away? Same with NYC and Penn. Or DC and Virginia. LA and Nevada. And on and on. Can't really have islands of gun control in an ocean of guns.
Better yet, how did gun control work in Jamaica, when guns were just smuggled from elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 06:22 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
How is gun control ever going to work in a place like Chicago, when Indiana is a short drive away? Same with NYC and Penn. Or DC and Virginia. LA and Nevada. And on and on. Can't really have islands of gun control in an ocean of guns.

Black lives do matter, and I agree that black communities plagued by violence need to focus on the violence and culture of silence that enables gangbangers and thugs to terroize neighbourhoods, as well as on police brutality. Both are legitimate issues, but only one seems to really galvanize the communities where violence and police brutailty are serious problems. I suppose it is easier to demonize the outsiders who come into the community and harrass and sometimes abuse and kill innocent people as opposed to the kids down the block who you watched grow up, but who have turned the streets into killing fields. The issue is a complicated one, but I can't entirelt blame black communities for not trusting the police. However, that is no excuse to let murderous thugs run loose in the community.
If BLM so much, then why don't they spend time educating others that violence and gangbangers are not the answer. and as far as trusting the police, if they were educated enough, on the fact that the streets are not the answer, and gangs are not a group to belong to, along with single parenting, maybe things would change.

Respect starts at home...along with responsablity for oneself. It is not up to anyone else to take care of anyone but themselves....those demonizers you are referring to, included...

This country has become one of lawlessness....and that we don't have to be held accountable, not even for stealing from a convenience store. Bull, it has to stop, and the buck starts with each and everyone of us...it isn't up to a neighbor, a community or the America, to take care of anyone else....

Education along with moral education is the key. But when children have babies, who are dedicated to gangs drugs and alcohol, there is no hope and there never will be. When people have this attitude, that they have to be taken care of and given things for free, without working for it, things will never change. And when fathers start taking responsiblity of their children, things will change.

Until then, crime will continue. Crime breeds crime!!!

Old 06-22-2016, 06:28 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am going to dumb this down a bit so that you may be able to comprehend it.

Chicago is roughly 4 times the size of Detroit in terms of population in city limits to city limits. Let's ignore suburbs...both have rough and nice suburbs....Chicago has 2 suburbs in the top 30 murder rates in the US and Detroit zero...let's just focus on City limits.

Population Size Comparison:
Chicago XXXX
Detroit X

Detroit has few middle and upper class areas (low crime) WITHIN CITY LIMITS
Chicago has massive areas of middle and upper class areas areas (low crime) WITHIN CITY LIMITS

From Chicago, you can carve out a population much BIGGER than the population of Detroit with a HIGHER murder rate.

To ignore this reality is to either be playing dumb for politics or playing dumb due to low IQ.

Chicago's blight and high crime area is as LARGE SCALE as anywhere in the country. "Chicago blight neighborhoods" in terms of population and area has more than all of Detroit.
Let me dumb this down for you (said in my voice reserved for 4 year olds)...

Crime rates...

are based on ...

occurrences per...

100,000 people...

The size of..

the city...

is not relevant...

by that measure.

Also....

The south sides...

and the west side...

of Chicago is...

the geographic...

MAJORITY of...

the city.

Even though...

the majority of ...

the city is ...

the south side...

and the west side...

both of which...

have the highest...

amounts off crime...

Chicago STILL is...

NOT a top...

crime ridden city.

Michiganmoon - quit being naive and believing random internet headlines. Quit acting like you understand how crime statistics are measured - you evidently do not and are trying to create some pseudo version of statistical analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You don't want people to post Chicago's murder stats, which are almost always minority on minority crimes, Black on Black and Hispanic on Hispanic being the most prevalent, by far.
Where did I tell you to not post Chicago's murder stats? I did not.

All I said and have continued to say is that statistically Chicago is not a top city crime wise. Also that they do not have strict gun laws in comparison to NYC and other large cities.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:35 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Where did I tell you to not post Chicago's murder stats? I did not.
Yes, you did:
Quote:
For that same reason IMO they should be disallowed here.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:38 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
What good are strict laws in Chicago if they can import guns from Indiana or Alabama.

Article from 2013
Quote:
Where 50,000 Guns Recovered in Chicago Came From

The Chicago Police Department traced the origins of about 50,000 guns that it recovered between 2001 and March 2012.
More than half of those guns came from outside the state.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...from.html?_r=0

Old 06-22-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Yes, you did:
I specifically was speaking about the weekly posts about Chicago in this forum, not about withholding crime rates.

See post in its entirety below:

Quote:
For that same reason IMO they should be disallowed here.

You all in Chicago IMO are the only ones who should care so much about your shootings and murders.

I also do find it interesting that other cities stats are not brought up so much. IMO there is something wrong with the media in Chicago in regards to the Sun Times and the Tribune in that they want to keep posting weekly shootings and murders as headlines or otherwise important features in the "news."

I lived in Detroit for a while and still live close to Detroit and they don't do that and they have a much higher murder rate than Chicago!

IMO many of you are not bright enough to realize that Chicago is not a dangerous city because when you cosntantly see the threads, you think it is an epidemically crime ridden city (as evidence by your and michigan moon's post and others earlier in the thread). Show someone something more than once and they believe it unfortunately.

If you don't live in Chicago, there is no logical reason for you to discuss its crime rates every week. Nowhere did I even mention minority crime statistics or statistics of crime at all for Chicago.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 06-22-2016 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: added entire quoted statement

Old 06-22-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I specifically was speaking about the weekly posts about Chicago in this forum, not about withholding crime rates.
How is that not the same thing? Every time more shootings/deaths occur in Chicago, the crime rate increases.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7cf3667d6647

Old 06-22-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
How is that not the same thing? Every time more shootings/deaths occur in Chicago, the crime rate increases.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7cf3667d6647
Because I am talking about the POC forum, not the media or statisticians...

If you want to post about crime, you should post it in the "Crime" forum. IMO it is ridiculous that the moderators here let the weekly posts occur. Crime and crime rates are not political or controversial.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Because I am talking about the POC forum, not the media or statisticians...

If you want to post about crime, you should post it in the "Crime" forum. IMO it is ridiculous that the moderators here let the weekly posts occur. Crime and crime rates are not political or controversial.
Other Controversies. Enough said.

Crime rates aren't controversial? Seems you're yet again trying to obfuscate the fact that Black on Black crime is a problem.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Other Controversies. Enough said.

Crime rates aren't controversial? Seems you're yet again trying to obfuscate the fact that Black on Black crime is a problem.
Crime and crime rates belong in the Crime forum. As I stated above, crime is not controversial. It happens every day and is not out of the ordinary.

ETA: Why do you think there is a "True Crime" forum if crime and crime statistics are controversial???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies