Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2019, 08:30 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
You are being intentionally deceptive. A private seller does not have to perform a background check nor review any documents proving residency to sell a gun legally. If a person says they are a resident of your state and you don't know anything else about them, you can sell as many guns to that person as you want with no paperwork or recordkeeping requirements at all.
Plus, private sales make guns much harder to track especially when your end goal is gun confiscation. It's much easier to seize guns when you know right where they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 08:42 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Hmm. Conservatives in America generally have a low opinion of public schools and public school teachers. Perhaps Israel differs.
Yeah, they conscript people to their armed forces and teach them how to use guns to protect themselves, their loved ones and their country. That's why Israelis aren't afraid of teachers .... or anybody for that matter, walking around with a firearm. So yeah, that's how they differ.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:27 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I've typed out my opinion on this literally dozens of times in various threads. And not one gun-hater has tried to discuss it.

Now you want me to type it out yet again?

Why? So the same people who couldn't respond them, can not respond again?

Sigh.

Go here to read and not respond, again.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post55839178

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post55795337

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post53779780

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post53775760

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post53690385

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post53283262

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post53056068

You asked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Nice deflection, you know as well as i Republicans have no solution to curbing mass murders.
Look, there goes another one.

"When a conservative comes up with a viable solution that can reduce mass murders, let's carefully ignore it and repeat over and over, "See? The conservatives don't have any solutions!" Maybe someone will actually believe us instead of them.

It's a lot easier than debating what the conservatives actually said. Especially since we liberals lose the debate every time.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:45 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
What is the liberal solution outside of confiscation and prohibition which isn't going to work.

Old 08-24-2019, 01:10 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
1) On social media, post photos of the dead bodies of killers at the crime scene, before they are cleaned up, no matter how gory they are. For the killers who are arrested, strip search them, film it and put the humiliating video clip on social media and allow the attack comments to commence. You know they will. Let's take the glory out of mass killings by being real about it.

2) End the 72 hour involuntary commitment to a mental health facility law. Parents are afraid (for their own lives and that of the rest of their family) to turn in their kids who are spewing mass murder threats on social media and at home or school, knowing they can check themselves out and will be back in the home after only 72 hours. Has to be much longer than 72 hours and the kid can't return home after they are released. Not sure if the 72 hour involuntary commitment law is federal or state law. Also, by "kid" I don't mean under 18. I mean anyone who still lives with mommy and/or daddy.

3) Allow the victim's families to sue school districts, the police and anyone who lives in the home of the killer and who doesn't report threatening behavior to authorities. Sue the police if they were reported and didn't follow up.

4) No juvenile ever gets expunged from the "the list" just because they become an adult.

Old 08-24-2019, 01:40 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
1) On social media, post photos of the dead bodies of killers at the crime scene, before they are cleaned up, no matter how gory they are. For the killers who are arrested, strip search them, film it and put the humiliating video clip on social media and allow the attack comments to commence. You know they will. Let's take the glory out of mass killings by being real about it.

2) End the 72 hour involuntary commitment to a mental health facility law. Parents are afraid (for their own lives and that of the rest of their family) to turn in their kids who are spewing mass murder threats on social media and at home or school, knowing they can check themselves out and will be back in the home after only 72 hours. Has to be much longer than 72 hours and the kid can't return home after they are released. Not sure if the 72 hour involuntary commitment law is federal or state law. Also, by "kid" I don't mean under 18. I mean anyone who still lives with mommy and/or daddy.

3) Allow the victim's families to sue school districts, the police and anyone who lives in the home of the killer and who doesn't report threatening behavior to authorities. Sue the police if they were reported and didn't follow up.

4) No juvenile ever gets expunged from the "the list" just because they become an adult.
Agreed, We need some serious changes to stop this.

Old 08-24-2019, 01:53 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
Universal background checks.
No gun free zones.
Train teachers on weapons, require that all teachers have a weapon in their classroom, locked up.
All exterior school doors locked during class. Metal detectors at entrances with a secondary door after theygo thru metal detector.
Have schools be required to report incidents of threats to national database that is included in background checks.
Open juvenile records to background check database.

This won't stop all mass shootings but will help, and help schools be safer. It wouldnt prevent a shooter from being outside and shooting kids as they exot school at end of day.
It won't stop mass shootings in open areas.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:51 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Go to south side of Chicago and curse someone out. You may get shot by a non law abiding citizen
Why would I do that?

Old 08-24-2019, 04:10 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Refresh my memory on that viable conservative solution that can reduce mass murders,
Refresh my memory on anyone responding to my earlier challenge:
Quote:
Write a law that upholds the 4th and 5th Amendments (right to be secure from unwarranted seizure and right to due process), but somehow manages to make the 400+ million firearms (that the government knows about) already in existence somehow disappear or at least be removed from the hands of the private citizen.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:13 PM

732 posts, read 391,034 times
Oooh. I thought of a good law.

In order to buy a firearm, you have to own property of some sort.

We could extend that requirement to voting.

People would probably game that by owning 1" square lots, so there'd have to be a minimum value, perhaps with no mortgage attached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies