Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 03:36 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times

Advertisements

not sure about op, i never viewed the asian american dream to be a white picket fence and house... never portrayed as such on media either. i wouldnt say the american dream is dead to asians. still the land of opportunity, just isnt the only land anymore

Old 07-01-2016, 07:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
Thanks for that clarification, I wasn't aware of these situations. For admissions I had always thought Asian-Americans females were if anything the hardest-hit group due to over-representation (anecdotal observations plus the Espenshade data), but I guess affirmative action is so common and pervasive across so many US institutions that it might vary from case to case. An interesting I've seen in my own field is the big jump in American affirmative action programs being designed and applied to boost recruitment, admissions and scholarship for Arab-Americans and Muslim-Americans in general. More than one of the contractors we work with have been hiring more and more Muslim-Americans and getting a number of incentives for it, as far as I know this is recent and probably has to do with the fact that Muslims didn't used to be much of the US population, but are now a much more significant component. I guess this would help ex. Asian-Americans from Pakistan and Bangladesh (As well as Middle East and North Africans) but looks like it would make things even worse for most East Asians, SE Asians and South Asians since now, there's yet another affirmative action category that will get preference over most Asians and whites. Though I guess as you're saying maybe it varies from program to program, I imagine the small-biz loan program in particular might have it's own system going.
FWIW, in America a majority of Arabs from the Middle East are considered "white" and so unless they are females, they would not qualify for AA.

Also Muslim Americans from the Middle East have been in America for decades, similar to refugees/immigrants from SE Asia.

The city I live in has an area that was called "Little Syria" 50-70 years ago which is where a large amount of Lebanese and Syrian refugees lived in our area until the 1980s when they moved to the burbs in large drove like other minority/immigrant groups. I went to school with a lot of the children/grandchildren of Muslim immigrants.

When I was a teenager we also received a large amount of Iranian and Iraqi refugees due to Desert Storm in the early 1990s. There has never been any issues with our Muslim population. They actually have a high degree of business creation and educational achievement in America contrary to what the media frequently reports. People also ignore that a large amount of physicians today are Arab in America. Syrians, Lebanese, Iranians/Persians, and Iraqis are considered "white" in America.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:31 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FWIW, in America a majority of Arabs from the Middle East are considered "white" and so unless they are females, they would not qualify for AA.

Also Muslim Americans from the Middle East have been in America for decades, similar to refugees/immigrants from SE Asia.

The city I live in has an area that was called "Little Syria" 50-70 years ago which is where a large amount of Lebanese and Syrian refugees lived in our area until the 1980s when they moved to the burbs in large drove like other minority/immigrant groups. I went to school with a lot of the children/grandchildren of Muslim immigrants.

When I was a teenager we also received a large amount of Iranian and Iraqi refugees due to Desert Storm in the early 1990s. There has never been any issues with our Muslim population. They actually have a high degree of business creation and educational achievement in America contrary to what the media frequently reports. People also ignore that a large amount of physicians today are Arab in America. Syrians, Lebanese, Iranians/Persians, and Iraqis are considered "white" in America.
You know that and I know that but; certain people try to drag Americans of Arab family down into a minority group.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
Thanks for that clarification, I wasn't aware of these situations. For admissions I had always thought Asian-Americans females were if anything the hardest-hit group due to over-representation (anecdotal observations plus the Espenshade data), but I guess affirmative action is so common and pervasive across so many US institutions that it might vary from case to case. An interesting
Forgot to mention on this, that all of the studied and the Epenshade data are specifically about the most prestigious colleges/universities in the US.

So in that regard IMO all of the anecdotal evidence and specific data on Princeton and Stanford and Harvard (and other Ivies) are not proof of any wide spread discrimination against Asian Americans in academia and especially due to the fact that they are still accepted in high numbers at all American colleges/universities.

FWIW not sure if you are aware in regards to the case in Texas that recently went to the Supreme Court and which you mentioned in your OP, but Texas has a policy whereas the students who score in the top 7-10% of their high school class are automatically considered/admitted over other students at public universities in Texas, regardless of race/ethnicity. The universities then will use AA along with other qualifiers to decide on admission of other students after the top performers. In this way, those schools which have a predominantly Latino or black American population will have more of an opportunity to send their best and brightest to Texas universities. Also, Asians who outperform Latinos, blacks, and whites will get automatic admittance as well.

In California, last I read 40% of students in the UC system of highly regarded public universities in CA were Asian.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:54 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
I am a 2nd generation Asian American, California-born.

I actually went to work in Asia - Taiwan, Hong Kong and Shanghai, on and off again, for around 10 years. Enjoyed it, saw a lot of progress there. But it really wasn't for me in the long run. it wasn't home for me. So I'm back in California, which is my home, and I'm dedicated to contributing to it and making it better.

Things sometimes look better on the other side. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. Depends on your personal situation.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:57 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Default Why are so many Asian-Americans migrating (or returning) to Asia?

Just a wild hunch...

Maybe because it's Asia and they're Asians?

Old 07-01-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Just a wild hunch...

Maybe because it's Asia and they're Asians?
Asian Americans who were born/raised in America are Americans first and foremost.

I am black and people call us African Americans but I don't want to go live in Africa because I'm not African. FWIW though more black Americans actually are immigrating to African countries as well in the 21st century. I know a couple people who have and quite a few who want to.

I am like silverkris in that America and my state and community are my home. I have long roots in my country and I would rather positively contribute to my own country versus another.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:05 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
The world is a much smaller place these days. If your parents are from some old country and you grew up in the US it is natural to want to branch out and explore, perhaps get in touch with your roots.

It is good for America to have our citizens living and working all over the world. Also helps give them some perspective on world events.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:07 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
7. Be considered cool and find a girlfriend/wife. The status of Asian American men in Asian dating markets has to be considerably higher than it is in the United States.
I can concur with that, to a point. I've been on dating websites, and I've noticed that White men are given more preference by many Asian women than Asian men.

On the other hand, I don't hear many parents tell their children "don't bring home an Asian man". The "don't bring him home" comments are reserved mainly for Black men. Asian men aren't looked down on as much compared to other minority men.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:14 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Job creation overseas in Asia is greater than the US where job creation here is stagnant. There are tons of money exchanging hands all over Asia. You can find a job quickly and have more business and opportunities quicker than in the US. US has too much regulations that make hiring difficult.

The only reasons I wouldn't stay in Asia is that I'm too wired for American culture. Asia is really pack or herd mentality that individuality is forsaken.

If you think American politics is bad, Asian politics is worst imo. Nothing really changes there, even more corruption than America.

America is great because there is a sense of stability and lots of genuinely good people here while in Asia being genuine is looked down upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies