Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 11:08 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
Again i'll admit I don't know a whole lot about health care systems in Asia as opposed to Europe, but from general observation, it seems like most Asian countries tend towards some kind of universal coverage like Europe, and very unlike America. And for much less cost than American healthcare, which is bankrupting even for insured Americans and especially for small businesses (it's the single biggest grievance I encounter among small-business owners and entrepreneurs, both in USA and expats in Europe). So it seems like the killer healthcare costs in the USA alone would push the cost of living in the US way above the cost of living even in the most expensive Asian cities in China and Japan. Especially since American wages have been largely stuck, not coming anywhere near covering the costs of all those additional premiums or deductibles.
I know about the health care system in Taiwan where they have universal coverage and it is very, very reasonable in terms of cost. I do know of (older, elderly) family friends who have moved back there for that reason. However, I don't see that as a trend for younger, working people.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:35 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,072 times
I don't see Asians in the US moving back to Asia because of the language barrier.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:49 PM

569 posts, read 552,891 times
I was claimimg the refuge statue in Canada, but I realized it was not right to bring my junks to the White societies. They didn't need to become the victims of my problems.

So I went back to my junk yards.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:03 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I know about the health care system in Taiwan where they have universal coverage and it is very, very reasonable in terms of cost. I do know of (older, elderly) family friends who have moved back there for that reason. However, I don't see that as a trend for younger, working people.
Sounds like a cool system there in Taiwan, maybe similar to what I experienced in China. I got injured playing racquetball on a business trip to Shanghai and was nervous about the medical expenses, but they were very reasonable, almost trivial, even to me as a foreigner, and seems like they do a reasonable job of covering everyone. In terms of the age impact, what you say makes sense, but seems like things have changed so much over the past decade, or at least past five years so much, that healthcare has become a killer expense for young people in the US too.

For some reason, a lot of the worst horror stories I hear about American medical bills insanity are coming from young people, probably because a lot of the most bankrupting expenses come around having kids, or maybe things like sports injuries or a burst appendix that hit young people hard. I even personally know young Americans who've had to declare bankruptcy over the costs of childbirth, professionals facing destitution basically, even though they're insured-- the clinics, hospitals, insurance, labs and drug compaines seem to always find a way to shaft young people especially, probably because they wind up with narrow networks (they don't have much bargaining power when starting their careers) so they get the worst of the both worlds, paying out the nose for health premiums and deductibles, but they still having to pay bank account-draining fees when they do need medical services. Which makes the whole idea of the health insurance little more than a scam to steal tens of thousands from a kid who doesn't have the funds.

And maybe because the young Americans are young and "full of earning potential" the hospitals, insurance companies and other creditors rake them over the coals, often with the help of bankruptcy judges and state officials-- wage garnishments, revoked licenses, all because some law abiding, hard-working young American had a kid or got injured on the road or just playing some sport. It's just stupid. It sounds like the things you hear sometimes with bad divorces that allow the state to BS its way into garnishing an ex spouses's wages for like spousal support, but it's much more pervasive with healthcare, and young Americans are getting hit the hardest. Even if they're 100% healthy, don't have any kids, stay indoors and avoid getting injured and their appendix doesn't burst on them-- they still have to pay a crazy amount in premiums for junk insurance, and it gets worse every year. It's impossible for American kids to start their careers let alone start businesses with health care costs like that, and this is even before diving into the student loan mess. It may not have been an issue a few years ago, but I suspect now it is. And if Taiwan and China, and it sounds like other Asian countries too, are removing this terrible burden and rent seeking scam from young people's shoulders and providing universal health coverage, with lower total taxes than America (a lot of which seems to disappear into corruption, all the cronyist capitalism these days), I can totally see how this would attract people to Asia. It certainly does to Europe.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Because they come here, make money, then go home. I had a friend from Vietnam. Worked for Macy's for about ten years, made some decent money, bought and sold homes too.

Then cashed out about a million dollars and "went home" to build custom homes and started a big tourist business.
That makes sense, especially based on the recent posts pointing out the cost of living differences. Long term the cost of housing, health care and schooling in the US is unaffordable and unsustainable, so if anything seems like someone would lose out by staying here even if they save up a lot, whereas if they can save up a cool million here in a high-paying job and investments they can have a nice nest egg back home where cost of living is lower. Thanks for contributing.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:09 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,992 times
I'm 1/2 Asian and I'd like to migrate to Asia if Hillary Clinton sets foot in the white house on January 2017

Old 07-15-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I'm 1/2 Asian and I'd like to migrate to Asia if Hillary Clinton sets foot in the white house on January 2017
haha, seems like plenty of people feeling that pain too, been hearing it alot these days (and it's said in dismay at both candidates!). I think this election is probably historic for how much the country hates the guts of both the major party candidates

Old 07-15-2016, 04:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
haha, seems like plenty of people feeling that pain too, been hearing it alot these days (and it's said in dismay at both candidates!). I think this election is probably historic for how much the country hates the guts of both the major party candidates
Agreed.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:10 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
I don't see Asians in the US moving back to Asia because of the language barrier.
I would concur if they aren't fluent in the language (which is particularly the case for 2nd generation, even 1.5 generation). Going to depend on the situation and how much of an opportunity can they get there.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Exactly, you're half Asian, not white. Stop thinking Trump has your back, many of his supporters see you as a threat just because your father is white doesn't mean you're shielded from the white supremacists that are all in for Trump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies