Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 04:19 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
About twelve years ago, my cousin wanted to teach English in Korea, but she only received like two less enviable offers despite fulfilling her requirements and having an English literature degree. She graduated from an Ivy league school too. She later found out that being Asian American had a lot to do with it. Asia didn't accept AA as good enough to teach English. Of course now, many Asian Americans are teaching in Korea, Japan, etc. , but during those days, it was difficult. Just thought it was interesting story.
In this case, if she was serious, she would have taken what offer she was given,
because they aren't going to believe you're for real without going there and
doing it first, then she could be promoted or find a superior offer and career.

Anyway, the United States is now FULLY mature country on all levels.
Gone are the days of open opportunity. They will not come back, no matter
whom is elected, because we're filled up. Think about the homesteading families
who didn't own a dime, now their great-great grandsons are rich men
(Pioneer Woman, anyone?), so .. America is just going to be judged differently
by the younger generation, than by those who had to deal with a different
reality 30+ years ago.
The economic policy of the U.S. is that prices MUST. RISE, or "growth"
does not occur. This leaves the unestablished in a precarious and frightening,
frustrated position, especially when there is no longer easy pickings.

I have a feeling all the "depressed" regions of the world will start to look
appealing to more and more Americans in coming years.
The fear tactics and propaganda ring hollow, increasingly hollow, the
more positive experiences are shared, especially with today's opening
communications. Look at Bhutan, one of the HAPPIEST countries in the world,
but no MONEY! No rat race, and no big finance overlords.
go figure...

Old 07-17-2016, 04:27 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
As far as the corporate world....getting the opportunity is not an issue, but getting an opportunity to move up the ladder once in is a big issue. As far as moving to Asia. I do know a few who moved back to get into the music pop and film industry since the music/movie industry in America has not provided the opportunity for them.

About twelve years ago, my cousin wanted to teach English in Korea, but she only received like two less enviable offers despite fulfilling her requirements and having an English literature degree. She graduated from an Ivy league school too. She later found out that being Asian American had a lot to do with it. Asia didn't accept AA as good enough to teach English. Of course now, many Asian Americans are teaching in Korea, Japan, etc. , but during those days, it was difficult. Just thought it was interesting story.
That's def "profiling" even if it's against a fellow Asian, thinking that an anglo white person would know English better cause of his race. Sad.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:52 PM

137 posts, read 142,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
But I fail to see how you can say Asians-- Asian-American females and males both-- are somehow "favored" when one of the most important competitive screens they have to face-- college admissions and the scholarships that go with that-- are pretty clearly tilted against them. Along with med and law school admissions. As documented by professionals in the field, not just anecdotal cases (which for what it's worth are also quite numerous).
Ironically, Affirmative Action was supposedly designed to amplify the voice of minorities, who would otherwise always be drowned out by the majority in a "democracy."

Well, the reason why AA works against Asians in many of the most critical areas is because...Asians are the smallest numerical minority in this country and thus NO politicians feel the need to pander to, much less simply treat fairly, such a minority voting block. Thus, AA actually does exactly the opposite of its PR claims - by actively discriminating via LEGAL INSTITUTIONALIZED RACISM/SEXISM against Asians - and Asian males most in particular.

Which even residinghere2007 just frreely admitted...

But, who cares, right?

Well, in the larger analysis, what the social engineers have done by vaulting select racial diversity over meritocracy is essentially creating different racial/gender 3-point lines on a basketball court. The one for Blacks is basically in layup range. And the ones for Asian males is on the other far end of the court... Because it is now more important to fill racial quotas than get the best players. Literally, even with all the mountains of objective data showing this here, many still remain steadfastly in denial because they like benefiting from an unlevel playing field thanks to AA.

Meanwhile, they then wonder why fairer non-diverse "meritocracies" like Japan, Taiwan, China, India, etc have been outcompeting the US economically? Even though, ideologically, racial diversity is supposed to >>> "colorblind" meritocracy, right Uncle Sam? Just like in Brazil?

Old 07-17-2016, 05:01 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post

whom is elected, because we're filled up.
Isn't the U.S. population about 300 million now?

Old 07-17-2016, 07:12 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
In this case, if she was serious, she would have taken what offer she was given,
because they aren't going to believe you're for real without going there and
doing it first, then she could be promoted or find a superior offer and career.

whom is elected, because we're filled up. Think about the homesteading families
who didn't own a dime, now their great-great grandsons are rich men
(Pioneer Woman, anyone?), so .. America is just going to be judged differently
by the younger generation, than by those who had to deal with a different
reality 30+ years ago.
The economic policy of the U.S. is that prices MUST. RISE, or "growth"
does not occur. This leaves the unestablished in a precarious and frightening,
frustrated position, especially when there is no longer easy pickings.

I have a feeling all the "depressed" regions of the world will start to look
appealing to more and more Americans in coming years.
The fear tactics and propaganda ring hollow, increasingly hollow, the
more positive experiences are shared, especially with today's opening
communications. Look at Bhutan, one of the HAPPIEST countries in the world,
but no MONEY! No rat race, and no big finance overlords.
go figure...
She probably should've, but just thought it was interesting. Nowdays, it is much easier for AA to get a teaching position in Asia/SE Asia. I do agree about the U.S being mature across the board and the glory days might be very difficult to see again. I can understand why many Americans(not just AA) are seeking opportunities abroad(not just Asia/SE Asia).

Teddy Park(California), Eric Nam(Georgia), and Ailee(New Jersey) would've never gotten a big break in the U.S music industry. They are great successes in Korea. There are others too.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:14 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:

Oh, that's pretty common over there. If you're Caucasian, you have instant credibility, and it can be easier for one to get a job teaching English than an Asian American who is as qualified or more qualified, and you can get a higher pay rate as well. At least for casual English teaching jobs.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:14 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It's a shame mixed race people can't just be what they are, and not feel like they have to make a show of identifying with one parent's group (I'm looking at you, Barack Obama).
It's a lot more complicated than that. Your own kids, assuming you have any and they are half-breeds, also when or are going through this phase. This is something a monoracial can never understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Most Hispanics are mixed even tho many of their kind don't like to claim their Black or Indian side. Sad.
I think it's stupid. I'm mostly white with Native American, Japanese, and a few percent of African but I call myself Puerto Rican 100% of the time. I identify by my place of birth and culture, not my race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
Heard of that kind of thing, in fact often-times they're the most aggressive in the group because they're trying to show they belong
It's insecurity, that's all it is. I'm a "half-breed" myself, and I did it when I was in my teens up to about 20 years old when I stopped caring. You do what you gotta do to survive mentally when you're in school and 99% of your classmates aren't your race.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Oh, that's pretty common over there. If you're Caucasian, you have instant credibility, and it can be easier for one to get a job teaching English than an Asian American who is as qualified or more qualified, and you can get a higher pay rate as well. At least for casual English teaching jobs.
That's changing though. In Japan, you can't coast by on your whiteness to get an English teaching job, because these jobs aren't actual "educator" positions unless you have a bachelor's degree. But, for actual head of the classroom type teacher jobs, they prefer Japanese natives. Vast majority of English "teachers" in Asia are just tutors, what you'd find in community learning centers or local church tutoring in English.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:24 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's a lot more complicated than that. Your own kids, assuming you have any and they are half-breeds, also when or are going through this phase. This is something a monoracial can never understand.

I think it's stupid. I'm mostly white with Native American, Japanese, and a few percent of African but I call myself Puerto Rican 100% of the time. I identify by my place of birth and culture, not my race

It's insecurity, that's all it is. I'm a "half-breed" myself, and I did it when I was in my teens up to about 20 years old when I stopped caring. You do what you gotta do to survive mentally when you're in school and 99% of your classmates aren't your race.
How came you be a "half breed" IF you're mostly 1 race? That doesn't make any kind of sense to me. I've known several people who were 1 quarter "Black" and; all of them claimed "anglo white".

Old 07-17-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
How came you be a "half breed" IF you're mostly 1 race? That doesn't make any kind of sense to me. I've known several people who were 1 quarter "Black" and; all of them claimed "anglo white".
Because people don't have instant access to my DNA results when they look at me I am just "mixed" to your average person. Unless you're like my Japanese friend who straight out asked me "are you 1/4 Japanese?" and he's interested in race mixing and stuff like that, nobody's gonna know I'm 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 white
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies