Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 10:30 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,754,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's a lot more complicated than that. Your own kids, assuming you have any and they are half-breeds, also when or are going through this phase. This is something a monoracial can never understand.
I understand that you mean that as a racial insult to my children. But you'll have to try harder since it really doesn't bother me. In Japan, mixed race children are routinely called 'hafu' (half) with no insult intended. That's just what they are, half Japanese, and fortunately my kids seem totally comfortable with it. They're both in their late teens, and there is no pressure on them here to try to identify as either Japanese or white. They can just be half. Some Westerners here try to insist on their kids being called "double", but that seems unnecessary to me. I'm fine with half.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:34 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Asian men are probably going back to Asia to find a wife especially since so many Asian women in the states prefer white men only.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:38 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,016 times
Can you blame them? The U.S. is going to hell.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:30 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemon View Post
Ironically, Affirmative Action was supposedly designed to amplify the voice of minorities, who would otherwise always be drowned out by the majority in a "democracy."

Well, the reason why AA works against Asians in many of the most critical areas is because...Asians are the smallest numerical minority in this country and thus NO politicians feel the need to pander to, much less simply treat fairly, such a minority voting block. Thus, AA actually does exactly the opposite of its PR claims - by actively discriminating via LEGAL INSTITUTIONALIZED RACISM/SEXISM against Asians - and Asian males most in particular.

Which even residinghere2007 just frreely admitted...
Where did I "admit" that in my post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
Seems like it's reflection of the community divisions in US and how they've been getting even more divided since the 60's, even within the African-American community Obama's background was distinct because his father had an immigrant African background, more common now but much less so when Obama was growing up. That together with Obama's mother's family, and growing up in Indonesia, seems like he said in his book that early on he didn't have so much of a group identity. But that obviously changed, maybe around in college and his identification was strongly with his African-American side, I see this all the time with mixed race kids who later strongly identify with their African-American (or Latino) sides so seems like there's a powerful society pressure to do that, would be a topic for a thread of it's own.
On this, I will note that I have been told by both family members and friends to are bi-racial or tri-racial, that for black Americans they "identify" more with that side due to being more accepted in "the black community."

Many of my family/friends said they felt ostracized by their white family in particular or made to "feel different" whereas in black families, contrary to what many think, we have always had a high degree of multi-racial persons and esepcially "mixed" black and white. So it is not unusual and in most cases mixed people are not treated like an outsider by black American families. In the past, many mixed people were seen positively due to black people buying into the idea that being mixed meant a child/family member was better looking according to European standards of beauty (having "good hair" and "light skin"). This sort of mindset is not as prevalent anymore but I have not seen personally in my family (and we have quite a few mixed family members) who are treated as an outsider due to having a white parent or Asian or Latino parent. Not even an African parent.

I remember watching a documentary where a half black female was never told she was half black and said she never felt she "belonged" until she went to college and the black students just assumed she was black and treated her nicely and basically made her feel like she finally belonged somewhere even though she never knew any of her black biological family.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:12 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
Can you blame them? The U.S. is going to hell.
Heard this sentiment a lot sadly enough among a lot of the emigres, in so many ways even before the nastiness of the past year here

Old 07-18-2016, 02:30 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,252 times
Perhaps we should ask what are the advantages to living abroad versus in the states.
1. Cost of living especially in SE Asia is considerably lower.
2. Employment opportunities abound for a western educated professional. They may earn less, but the cost of living is much lower without the threat of lawsuits.
3. Culture. many although raised here were also raised in the culture of their parent's nation of origin.
4. Status. Western educated and of means. They are no longer average or one of many.
5. Let's face it, the USA has turned into a nation of mediocre whiners who expect successful people to apologize for succeeding.
I fully intend to retire abroad. Unlike many I am well traveled and have seen what other nations have to offer and for a great deal less than what we pay here. I would encourage anyone who is close to retirement to look abroad as an option. That is unless they want to be a Walmart greeter or work at burger king so they can make ends meet.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:33 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Asian men are probably going back to Asia to find a wife especially since so many Asian women in the states prefer white men only.
While a huge percentage of Asian-American women marry out, it's still about 1/3 versus less than 1% for the foreign born.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:24 PM

137 posts, read 142,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Where did I "admit" that in my post...
Quote:
Honestly it seems like the majority of your posts are ignorant to the fact that Asian Americans actually are considered a "minority" in regards to hiring in organizations that utilize Affirmative Action. Asian American females as well are also considered by colleges/universities based on being female in regards to admission.
You noted that Asian American females may at least be given some AA preference in college admissions due to being female (if not Asian). Which clearly means that Asian American MALES DON'T - and thus suffer the FULLEST BRUNT of institutionalized AA racial/gender discrimination.

Agreed, now?

Old 07-19-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Perhaps we should ask what are the advantages to living abroad versus in the states.
1. Cost of living especially in SE Asia is considerably lower.
2. Employment opportunities abound for a western educated professional. They may earn less, but the cost of living is much lower without the threat of lawsuits.
3. Culture. many although raised here were also raised in the culture of their parent's nation of origin.
4. Status. Western educated and of means. They are no longer average or one of many.
5. Let's face it, the USA has turned into a nation of mediocre whiners who expect successful people to apologize for succeeding.
I fully intend to retire abroad. Unlike many I am well traveled and have seen what other nations have to offer and for a great deal less than what we pay here. I would encourage anyone who is close to retirement to look abroad as an option. That is unless they want to be a Walmart greeter or work at burger king so they can make ends meet.
very informative answer, thank you

Old 07-19-2016, 07:17 PM

Especially this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post

I'm glad someone finally mentioned the lawsuit issue, the litigiousness of the US seems to be me to be one of the more unpleasant and exhausting (financially and in other ways) part of working and doing business in America. And it's everywhere. Divorce courts (Family courts in general) alone are an utter nightmare in the US, most expensive by far in the world and often bankrupt people with state-imposed payments for things like alimony that can be permanent. Don't know any country that does this (esp. in Asia which just seems to be more rational about hat kind of thing). Doctors get sued all the time for malpractice, whether due to legitimate reasons (but also often calls under pressure) or frivolous lawsuits and they're incredibly stressful and draining. Small businesses get sound out of business all the time by corrupt big firms with deeper pockets. If you don't already have a few million dollars lying around, the US court system can be ruinous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies