Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 03:42 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,371,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The problem with situations like this is you have very charged situation with the adrenaline flowing and the cop needs to make split second decisions. I'm not saying the cop was right or wrong but put yourself in their shoes. They can be right 99.9% of the time in their career but when they make one mistake they or someone else ends up dead. Making mistakes is two way street.
I can put myself in his shoes. Someone tells me that he thinks there is a car being stolen and the car is driving away. As an officer I have absolutely no clue whether it's being stolen or not. As far as I know the one who called is just mad at someone or there is a misunderstanding (people allow others to use their car and then get upset at them at some point and claim they stole it).

So what I do is hits the lights and stop them. Yeah, maybe they run but then you have something a little more substantial to go on.

You do not shoot someone just based upon the word of someone else that it would seem wasn't even sure there was a crime. According to the articles, no one has confirmed there was one either. The only times an officer should be firing a weapon is when there is an immediate threat to another life. There was none here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 07:18 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,615,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlmike View Post
You cannot shoot someone for breaking into your car even if you see it on-going. Inside your home is a completely different story.. blast away. Now, if some perp is breaking into your car and attempts to drive away .. you say halt and jump out in front but he continues.... yeah blast him. Even if you give chase after someone with a gun who just robbed or broken into your car if you tell him to halt and the minute he turns around to face you (while being armed) blast away too.

This cop didn't understand the parameters of deadly force justification, but I don't feel sorry for the perp either.
In several states, you can. Georgia does have a "cross the threshold" castle doctrine, however.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,865,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
In several states, you can. Georgia does have a "cross the threshold" castle doctrine, however.
There is precedence in GA for this. Many people there have shot intruders in their homes and it is legal to shoot an intruder who breaks into your home in GA.

However, breaking into a car is very different from your home. Unless you are in your car at the time, there is no legal basis for killing someone for stealing a car - one of the most frequent crimes in the country BTW.

Also, by the article, I'm not certain if this man actually was stealing the car. Was he or wasn't he? I wouldn't be surprised if he was, but I lived in Atlanta for a long time and know a lot of men who were walking through parking lots, biking through parking lots, or getting into their own cars or a friend's car and who were questioned about car theft or intent to break into cars when they were not doing those things.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:34 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,615,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
There is precedence in GA for this. Many people there have shot intruders in their homes and it is legal to shoot an intruder who breaks into your home in GA.

However, breaking into a car is very different from your home. Unless you are in your car at the time, there is no legal basis for killing someone for stealing a car - one of the most frequent crimes in the country BTW.

Also, by the article, I'm not certain if this man actually was stealing the car. Was he or wasn't he? I wouldn't be surprised if he was, but I lived in Atlanta for a long time and know a lot of men who were walking through parking lots, biking through parking lots, or getting into their own cars or a friend's car and who were questioned about car theft or intent to break into cars when they were not doing those things.
Yes, exactly. The states I have lived in are not that way, however. The law views protecting personal property in the same light as ones life.

I don't know about the last part. Hopefully due process and the investigation will suss all that out properly.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,281,489 times
We had a neighborhood Crime Watch meeting and the police told us that if we shoot anyone who is trying to break into our property, be sure to drag them inside before we call 9-1-1.

But that's an aside issue. If the cop in question is guilty of a crime, I hope they throw the book at him. No one should abuse the power of position - not a cop, and not a politician.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:52 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,005,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I can put myself in his shoes. Someone tells me that he thinks there is a car being stolen and the car is driving away. As an officer I have absolutely no clue whether it's being stolen or not. As far as I know the one who called is just mad at someone or there is a misunderstanding (people allow others to use their car and then get upset at them at some point and claim they stole it).

So what I do is hits the lights and stop them. Yeah, maybe they run but then you have something a little more substantial to go on.

You do not shoot someone just based upon the word of someone else that it would seem wasn't even sure there was a crime. According to the articles, no one has confirmed there was one either. The only times an officer should be firing a weapon is when there is an immediate threat to another life. There was none here.
Getting tired of the gung-ho attitudes on here that say all crimes, real or perceived, should be solved with a bullet. For all the faults that the Left has, and here are A LOT, I don't like this direction the Right has been taking, an increasingly authoritarian tone

Old 07-13-2016, 12:23 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,338,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We had a neighborhood Crime Watch meeting and the police told us that if we shoot anyone who is trying to break into our property, be sure to drag them inside before we call 9-1-1.

Then that policeman was a moron. You should report whoever said that so that they can be fired.

Here's what cops usually say about that, and I've been told this personally by a cop: If you shoot someone and then move the body, it will be very obvious to the investigators. Moving the body is in itself a crime. Trying to change a crime scene only serves to make you look suspicious - as if you were trying to cover up a murder.

When the prosecuting attorney asks you why you moved the body, how would you answer?

Old 07-13-2016, 12:26 PM

1,408 posts, read 1,011,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Then that policeman was a moron. You should report whoever said that so that they can be fired.

Here's what cops usually say about that, and I've been told this personally by a cop: If you shoot someone and then move the body, it will be very obvious to the investigators. Moving the body is in itself a crime. Trying to change a crime scene only serves to make you look suspicious - as if you were trying to cover up a murder.

When the prosecuting attorney asks you why you moved the body, how would you answer?
I could be wrong, but I think the cop was just joking. Lighten up a little.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:38 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,199,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
A cop "joking" about this to some other moron with a gun makes him even more dangerous - this is no cause to "lighten up" for.

Besides, a lot of cops I know have told me this - and they were not kidding.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:43 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,371,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
There is nothing to lighten up about. His instruction should be that you can NOT shoot someone that is outside of your house. Period. It's not funny for a police officer to joke about how one should just do something illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies