Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:32 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,955,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Humans have no natural predators. We are the top of the food chain. We just take what we want. I wonder what would happen if we were at the bottom. Not a pretty sight, I'm sure.
Well, some animal must be at the top of the food chain. Do you say that if the top predator wasn't a human then no other animal would be?

There are other animals that kill for reasons other than to obtain food. Many animals kill for exclusive access to mate. Others kill the offspring of competitors and even eat them so as to mate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 11:36 PM

32,076 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Well, some animal must be at the top of the food chain. Do you say that if the top predator wasn't a human then no other animal would be?

There are other animals that kill for reasons other than to obtain food. Many animals kill for exclusive access to mate. Others kill the offspring of competitors and even eat them so as to mate.
No, I'm saying we would be part of the food train. That was my point.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:54 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:

Hunting outside of meeting basic needs (food, water, shelter, etc) is pretty much psychotic.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:59 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,941,358 times
Anybody see that show Naked and Afraid? Watched a few minutes today - some woman caught a lizard and chopped its head off...them ripped it open to see if it had worms in its stomach. Some other dude was shooting homemade arrows at a monkey. Sure they wanted to eat, but ultimately it's a TV show produced for entertainment. Can we get a little more outrage about this? Maybe have it taken off the air?

Old 08-18-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Anybody see that show Naked and Afraid? Watched a few minutes today - some woman caught a lizard and chopped its head off...them ripped it open to see if it had worms in its stomach. Some other dude was shooting homemade arrows at a monkey. Sure they wanted to eat, but ultimately it's a TV show produced for entertainment. Can we get a little more outrage about this? Maybe have it taken off the air?
I think it's stupid but not outraged.

It's just very odd to kill animals for no reason at all. Psychotics do that.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Hunting outside of meeting basic needs (food, water, shelter, etc) is pretty much psychotic.
So, animals like lions that kill the offspring of other lions are psychotic?

The Wolverine that kills but does not eat the prey animal is psychotic?

Cats that kill lizards but don't eat them are psychotic ?

Interesting view.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:41 AM

F
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No, I'm saying we would be part of the food train. That was my point.
You become part of the food chain every time you swim in the ocean. The same applies to hikers killed by bears and people walking, hiking or biking where mountain lions roam.

You are part of the food chain for biting insects, some of which can kill you.

Killing to maintain life isn't the same as killing for sport but more than a few animials kill for reasons other than food.

Last edited by Mack Knife; 08-18-2016 at 12:51 AM..

Old 08-18-2016, 12:44 AM

Quote:
So, animals like lions that kill the offspring of other lions are psychotic?

The Wolverine that kills but does not eat the prey animal is psychotic?

Cats that kill lizards but don't eat them are psychotic ?

Interesting view.
Give the reason why each do it and I'll get back to you.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:25 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
There is one positive outcome as a consequence of this debacle. The government of Alberta has now announced that spear hunting in Alberta will be permanently banned before the end of this year.

Spear hunting was already banned across most of the rest of Canada a long time ago and if the two remaining western provinces that still allow it (British Columbia and Yukon) will do likewise and ban it along with Alberta then that will be a very good thing.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:55 AM

1,504 posts, read 851,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
So you prefer your animals killed quickly with a bullet? Does that make them any less dead? At least with a spear there's a chance of missing or not hitting the right area.
There are more human ways to kill an animal. When I was a kid I did hunt a little. What I learned was the animal should not even know that it has died. It must be instantaneous. At this point in my life I do not even kill an insect if it can be avoided. I guess that as you mature and understand life and death...you have more respect for life. Some people really do not truly care about anyone or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies