Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:23 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,790 times

Advertisements

I don't hunt. Never have.

That said, I fully understand and very much appreciate that hunting is often vital to conservation efforts and I do agree that for the most part, hunting wild animals is far less cruel than factory farming of domesticated animals.

I also have no problem with baiting. If the purpose of the hunt is to help with conservation efforts and or to provide meat, then it makes little difference what chance the animal has/had against the hunter.

However, I do not see any reason to hunt with a freaking spear, which, very likely is not going to give the animal a quick and relatively painless death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 09:25 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Hunting outside of meeting basic needs (food, water, shelter, etc) is pretty much psychotic.
There is also hunting to facilitate conservation efforts. That is a legitimate purpose, IMO.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:12 AM

45,429 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
There is also hunting to facilitate conservation efforts. That is a legitimate purpose, IMO.
And that's the aim of hunting seasons and bag limits. What many people don't know or maybe understand (or maybe they dont want to know or understand) is that the vast majority of government revenue for conservation causes comes from fees for hunting and fishing licenses and the Pittman-Robertson tax of 14% on all equipment related to hunting and fishing.

Those conservation efforts include habitat acquisition and management. You know those wildlife management areas hunters pay for which are open to everybody but non-hunters complain that hunters use.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:40 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Hunting outside of meeting basic needs (food, water, shelter, etc) is pretty much psychotic.
turns out hunting is a wildlife management tool and taught in many colleges as a means to control animal populations. In fact every state has a wildlife dept that studies game and non game species, populations, factors impacting populations and creates regulations to promote both agem and non game species. All on the hunter, fisherman and trappers' dime. along with the tx on sporting goods via Pitman-Robertson.

By law, purchasing meat products from a store would be the same as hiring a hit man to kill someone. guilty, guilty, guilty.

I hunt deer with traditional archery gear exclusively, have no desire to shoot a bear, have no objection to those who do.

Wouldn't support spear hunting; if it was legal then it was legal. Wouldn't support a spear season except for carp. This does fall under liberals slippery slope and that is the danger. Say it went to court and some jury or activist judge decided the bear sufferred needlessly or which ever legalese word thy choe to use. It would not be long before peta would be using that case as precedent to go after archery gear and then rifles, caliber and free hunting.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:34 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
There was a day when a lot of this was self regulated by reputation alone. Perhaps not as effective as laws crafted to expressly address humane kills but nevertheless for the most part it worked fine until; like every other worthwhile recreational occupation, the abusers fugg it up for everyone else.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:53 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
People cry over this non-issue like this while hundreds of people are murdered in Chicago and nobody gives a fart.

Shows the the priorities.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:05 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I'll concede that to a point.

Only because wildlife management (like everything regulated by the gov) gets a little kooky.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:28 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Buying hamburger patties at Walmart is pretty lazy...
Quote:
Not if you use the self-checkout.
Y'all made me spray water out my nose on that one.

Winning!

Old 08-18-2016, 09:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,902,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
No- this young guy was an immature thrill seeking idiot. He speared the helpless bear in the side. It wandered off and slowly bled to death. Later he found the dead bear...it was not going to be eaten...this was a stupid thrill kill. He had access to a high powered rifle if he wanted one. Why would he choose to stab the unwitting bear in the guts when he could have dispatched it instantly with a head shot?

I had a quick look at the video...the fact that this kill was so contrived and controlled that he was able to film it was a disgrace...watching this fool jump up and down like a kid who just captured a poky mon was creepy. This was not about hunting for food..this was about some creep getting a kick out of stabbing a dumb bear in the guts with a sharp stick..there is nothing cool about this...He is a jerk....who probably can not even function with a female -if you know what I mean?

Actually one of the most humane ways to kill an animal ironically sits but 3 inches away from the most inhumane way of which is blowing half its jaw off.

This is something twinkletoe Lefties don't think about...them having no connection to nature and all

Kind of why any gun debate stops before it starts because of WTF, preconceived notions that make the other side laugh and walk away.

Cereal question now:

Being on the topic of "humane", how do most Lefties think animals, at least mammals die? The chances of dying of old age is pretty much never. Yeah, that's a n-e-v-e-r. The choices are...

1. Die of a painful, debilitating infection.

2. Get eaten alive.

3. Infection then eaten alive.

So Mr. Animal, pick one.

1. Spear to your heart with bee-sting instant pain and relatively peaceful, non painful bleed out.

OR

2. Having chunks of you ripped off alive over the course of a carnivorous feast.

OR

3. Walk around for a couple painful months until the mange, mites, and skin tumors make it too hard to go on.

Hmmmm

Humane LOL I don't think many here know what that word means.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:16 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Actually one of the most humane ways to kill an animal ironically sits but 3 inches away from the most inhumane way of which is blowing half its jaw off.

This is something twinkletoe Lefties don't think about...them having no connection to nature and all

Kind of why any gun debate stops before it starts because of WTF, preconceived notions that make the other side laugh and walk away.

Cereal question now:

Being on the topic of "humane", how do most Lefties think animals, at least mammals die? The chances of dying of old age is pretty much never. Yeah, that's a n-e-v-e-r. The choices are...

1. Die of a painful, debilitating infection.

2. Get eaten alive.

3. Infection then eaten alive.

So Mr. Animal, pick one.

1. Spear to your heart with bee-sting instant pain and relatively peaceful, non painful bleed out.

OR

2. Having chunks of you ripped off alive over the course of a carnivorous feast.

OR

3. Walk around for a couple painful months until the mange, mites, and skin tumors make it too hard to go on.

Hmmmm

Humane LOL I don't think many here know what that word means.
"Humane" is a word invented by the people who have just finished killing and torturing their own species for kicks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies