Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 07:46 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,714,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
wow. Using that logic we should ban cars and save 25,000 lives per year.
Really? I feel that if I need to explain what I meant by that I'd be wasting my time since you seem to think that a regular automobile accident/fatality is the same as somebody who knowingly drinks & drives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 07:48 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,714,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
People who are for the check points need to talk to those who fight against those that abuse our rights. We didn't fight a revolutionary war to replace British tyranny with our own tyranny.

Check points save lives. I've seen tens of people pulled over through the years & I'd be willing to bet at least one of those would have ended up in an accident. Factor that out among the thousands of cities in this country you can be sure lives have been saved.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:09 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,982,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
but the public is being forced to pay taxes to keep the roads in working order, so people are paying for these roads and you're telling them to stay off them?

why is it too much to ask to just be left alone if you're not breaking the law? you want to live in a police state?
Paying taxes to maintain roads and you're driving on them are two different things and doing the first doesn't give you a right to do the second.

You pay taxes to maintain the military, you have no righys to use their tanks. You pay taxes to maintain NASA but have no rights to hitch a ride to the Space Station.

Driving is a privilege not a right. a sobriety check doesn't mean you need to prove anything, you can refuse. You can't be forced to submit to a sobriety check, you have tje option to not drive into one. You can park your car and walk.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:45 PM

51,077 posts, read 24,578,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Check points save lives. I've seen tens of people pulled over through the years & I'd be willing to bet at least one of those would have ended up in an accident. Factor that out among the thousands of cities in this country you can be sure lives have been saved.
That's probably true, butnot exactly what most people here are discussing.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:59 PM

21,257 posts, read 19,870,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalDiscord View Post
Laws do not exist for us to serve them. We are not subjects of the state, we do not live under a monarchy and we are not under their discretion. Our rights are not granted by government or by man, but rather endowed by our creator to which no man or government can justly infringe (I say justly as surely people can ignore your rights and subjugate you under threat of violence as is often done by government and man today). Laws exist to protect the liberties of the people, no more... no less.

So, when you stop someone who has broken no laws, is not endangering the liberty of another, then you are using the law outside of its spiritual intent? That is, you are using the law to violate the liberties of another and you invalidate the purpose and protections laws are created for. This is why the officers superior immediately let them go without further question as he recognized they were violating their oaths and the spiritual intent of our laws (and the fact that the police department would lose horribly in a court case over this incident).

The problem with people today in our country is that they are not prepared to live in a free country. They do not understand what the constitution means, why it was created and for what purpose it exists. Unfortunately, many people today view the government and our laws in the same manner that those in Europe do, as subjects to the government to which liberties are granted and removed at the discretion of the government. This is not freedom, it is an illusion of such and actually a slavery to ones proclaimed betters (ie the governments that claim they are better than the people and know better).

It is unfortunate, but it is this ignorance of what it means to a sovereign individual to which has slowly allowed governments to disregard those liberties over the years. I mean, how many times have we seen a response such above when an authority oversteps its bounds and a individual calls them out on it?

I don't care what you personally "feel" about something, but if you take the side of dismissing infringements on liberty, then you have NO grounds for being upset when all of your liberties are taken from you. We either respect liberty, or we don't. There is no middle road, only rationalized tyranny.
This is what our Founding Fathers thought: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion

Old 08-28-2016, 10:27 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,439,570 times
Quote:

What other rights are you willing to suspend or give up to save lives?

If we abolished free speech we could probably save a few lives.

If we torture prisoners or those just arrested we could probably save lives.

If we reviewed Roe v Wade we could save millions of lives.

So then, what rights are you personally willing to give up?

Old 08-29-2016, 07:41 AM

35,190 posts, read 31,503,474 times
Indiana prohibited them. TN and VA love them. There's no excuse for pulling everyone over. Pull over those who are suspected of a DUI and only those.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:50 AM

31,296 posts, read 20,798,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Well, mostly Article 1 Section 8 for the federal government, if the food is interstate commerce (and nearly all food is now except for local grown farm products).

For state and local government, it varies, but nearly all state constitutions give state government (and sometimes local) the nearly unrestricted right to regulate the sale of food.
Nice try. But you failed to show me where the constitution gives the government the power to tell me what to eat.

And BTW, nearly all food is not interstate.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
OP, don't drink and drive. Very simple.
I don't. But it's not simple. Sober drivers get pulled over and have to prove their innocence.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Banning cars saves more lives.

Just because something saves lives does not make it something we should do. That's not a valid test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies