Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 01:26 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,887,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You do realize that 10 times as many people benefit from minimum wage increases as the people on minimum wage right?

Whats so great about corporations steamrolling over the 99%, force you to train your replacment and send you packing? Whats so great about this race to the bottom of lower pay and benefits you encourage? Massive income and wealth inequality leads to destruction of democracy and massive crime rates. This is what we see in America. Whats so great about that? You will have to pay for it anyway, through no say in which laws are passed and through constant fear of getting mugged or beaten to a pulp. This is the Latin Americanization of America. And this is what Trump is trying hard to push through his tax plan and supreme court nominations. If we continue down this path of grovelling the super rich and demonizing the 99% (while pretending like we are millionaires ourselves) we will look like Mexico.
A load of BS. Union propaganda.
Who has forced me to train my replacement and sent me packing? I am sure the company has had more than a few opportunities to do so over the last 25 years. I train a lot of people. In fact I recently received 100 shares of stocks in recognition for my efforts. I wasn't fired or laid off.
The 99%? Please don't lump me in with those who are content to flip burgers for a living, that refused to make themselves worth more by building skills.
I am a realist. I detest CEO's making many millions a year, but I also understand that I have 0 R compared to them.
I also understand that compared to the burger flipper I am worth more to an industrial work sight.
I ask again. What skills/ value does an unskilled, unmotivated person bring to the job that rates $15.00 an hour?
I could be wrong but businesses are in business to make money. Charities are in the business of charity. I have a good idea. All the people who feel that people should start out at $15 an hour can start their own business and pay $15 an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 01:38 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,969,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Who has forced me to train my replacement and sent me packing? I am sure the company has had more than a few opportunities to do so over the last 25 years. I train a lot of people. In fact I recently received 100 shares of stocks in recognition for my efforts. I wasn't fired or laid off.
The 99%? Please don't lump me in with those who are content to flip burgers for a living, that refused to make themselves worth more by building skills.
I am a realist. I detest CEO's making many millions a year, but I also understand that I have 0 R compared to them.
I also understand that compared to the burger flipper I am worth more to an industrial work sight.
I ask again. What skills/ value does an unskilled, unmotivated person bring to the job that rates $15.00 an hour?
I could be wrong but businesses are in business to make money. Charities are in the business of charity. I have a good idea. All the people who feel that people should start out at $15 an hour can start their own business and pay $15 an hour.
Union propaganda? You wouldnt even have public schools without the 99% organizing and fighting for their rights. No social security. No Medicare. No 40 hour work week either. Do you support democracy or not? You have to choose between democracy or massive income and wealth inequality. You seem to identify with the big money donor class and not the 99%. This means you choose massive inequality over democracy. Even if you are part of the 99%. Make no mistake about it, the special interests and donor class dont see a difference between you and the "burger flipper" you talk about. You are all part of the same group which corporate America is desperately trying to crush through erosion of the minimum wage, anti-worker trade deals, deregulation of Wall Street, weakening of the unions, weakening of anti-monopoly laws etc etc. They dont care about you. They laugh at members of the 99% defending them. They divide and conquer. Make sure that the 99% hate each other. Just like getting a dog distracted.

The main reason why Americans have the lowest number of vacation days and sick days in the industrialized world is precisely because of meek attitudes towards the donor class. Whats so great about this submissive behavior?

Old 09-06-2016, 01:42 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Spoken by someone who clearly learned everything they know about trade unions from Fox news

Old 09-06-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Union propaganda? You wouldnt even have public schools without the 99% organizing and fighting for their rights. No 40 hour work week either. Do you support democracy or not? You have to choose between democracy or massive income and wealth inequality. You seem to identify with the big money donor class and not the 99%. This means you choose massive inequality over democracy. Even if you are part of the 99%. Make no mistake about it, the special interests and donor class dont see a difference between you and the "burger flipper" you talk about. You are all part of the same group which corporate America is desperately trying to crush. One way to do that is to divide and conquer. Make sure that the 99% hate each other. Just like getting a dog distracted.
Ill choose both democracy and wealth.
The Union tried to get in where I work They were actually honest and admitted that they really couldn't improve our wages or benefits. They basically wanted us to give them greater membership. Pay dues for that? NO.
You tend to paint all business with a broad brush. Really no different than someone who paints all people in a race with the same brush as they do the worst of that race.
The company I work for appreciates expertise and expects us to train others to out level. In fact it is a requirement to progress.
I am no company man, but I am grateful for the salary I earn and what it affords me. I also know that I give the company a good days work in exchange.
Do we have lower level employees that aren't worth a dime of their pay? 2800 employees you will have a few flops. I will say this. You have to almost try to get fired from where I work.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Ill choose both democracy and wealth.
You cant have massive income and wealth inequality and democracy. You have to choose. The opinions of the 99% hardly matter at all in American politics. The big money donors decide who will run (who is "viable") and what laws are passed. Thats not democracy. Thats plutocracy. Its time to choose. Submission to the billionaire class or growing a backbone and fighting for workers' rights.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:07 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Union propaganda? You wouldnt even have public schools without the 99% organizing and fighting for their rights...
I wouldn't brag about that; our public schools suck. Consequently...
Quote:
"This exam, given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society.

And U.S. millennials performed horribly.

...But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope. U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain.

...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.†So Millennials are falling even further behind."

US Millennials Post Abysmal Scores in Thinking Abilities, Math, Literacy, and Technological Problem-Solving

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...foreign-peers/

Important takeaway: "...a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. Now it is below even that. So Millennials are falling even further behind."

Old 09-06-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Spoken by someone who clearly learned everything they know about trade unions from Fox news
Actually I grew up in a hard core Union area.
So what did I say about Unions that is wrong in that post?
In that post I simply replied to another posters claim about what big business will do to me.
His post was straight up Union rhetoric about how we all need them.
I am not anti-Union. I have great respect for the tradesmen the Union produces. I simply disagree with the end of the world rhetoric they use to try and gain membership. Same reason I am not a member of the NRA.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Actually I grew up in a hard core Union area.
So what did I say about Unions that is wrong in that post?
In that post I simply replied to another posters claim about what big business will do to me.
His post was straight up Union rhetoric about how we all need them.
I am not anti-Union. I have great respect for the tradesmen the Union produces. I simply disagree with the end of the world rhetoric they use to try and gain membership. Same reason I am not a member of the NRA.
So I presume you support handing over social security and Medicare to private efforts (Wall Street etc)? You can thank unions for SS and Medicare, and the decline of unions will ensure that they will be fully privatized unless you start fighting back. The donor class are out to get you and they have already fully bought the GOP and half of the Democratic Party as union money has dried up and Sheldon Adelson, the Chamber of Commerce and the Koch brothers decide what happens next to you through their puppets you can vote for.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:17 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
So I presume you support handing over social security and Medicare to private efforts (Wall Street etc)? You can thank unions for SS and Medicare, and the decline of unions will ensure that they will be fully privatized unless you start fighting back. The donor class are out to get you and they have already fully bought the GOP and half of the Democratic Party as union money has dried up and Sheldon Adelson, the Chamber of Commerce and the Koch brothers decide what happens next to you through their puppets you can vote for.
I would be much wealthier today if SS had been privatized 40 years ago. Thank you unions for screwing me.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
You cant have massive income and wealth inequality and democracy. You have to choose. The opinions of the 99% hardly matter at all in American politics. The big money donors decide who will run (who is "viable") and what laws are passed. Thats not democracy. Thats plutocracy. Its time to choose. Submission to the billionaire class or growing a backbone and fighting for workers' rights.
In case you haven't noticed what you have described has been in place for at least 50 years.....
It didn't start with Trump or GWB. For that matter the Unions have had their hand in the mix as well. Add Israel to the mix along with China and Japan.
Back to Ashley furniture.
Companies pick up and move to more business friendly states, cities and or countries. Blame the politicians who continue to put foreign interests before our own.
How has NAFTA worked out for the Union? How about this pacific trade deal Obama is pushing?
I leave the country in about a year, something I never considered doing as little as 10 years ago. The cost of living has grown out of control. Some would argue due to too much Government.
I love my country, just not what it has become and is becoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies